Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-12-2015, 09:17 AM
AO Sponsor

Default American Wolf Trapper

Now here is a real wolf trapper! And a true expert in the field.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Cool picture!
Old 09-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Banned

Tell us more? - Looks interesting
Old 09-14-2015, 10:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Guy was hired to kill this pack, so not just a free for all on multiple wolf packs. This guy hunted and trapped this pack until they were no more. Obviously necessary as the pack was inflicting serious damage on livestock.

So not just take the easy, the willing and stupid but staying the course until the job was finished. I don't know what order he caught them or when the dominate pair was taken, just that he had to pursue them relentlessly until they were no more.

So this is what America's #1 canine trapper looks like in a grainy old flip phone image!
Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Guy was hired to kill this pack, so not just a free for all on multiple wolf packs. This guy hunted and trapped this pack until they were no more. Obviously necessary as the pack was inflicting serious damage on livestock.

So not just take the easy, the willing and stupid but staying the course until the job was finished. I don't know what order he caught them or when the dominate pair was taken, just that he had to pursue them relentlessly until they were no more.

So this is what America's #1 canine trapper looks like in a grainy old flip phone image!
Tell us more. Where, when, how long did it take him, how much did it cost. I'm curious because I've dealt with wolves and a trapper taking out an entire pack is almost impossible, I've never seen it done before. Packs always split up once they get hammered in my experience, especially if one of the parents is killed. It's certainly true you have to take out the entire pack or the problem just gets worse. This is fascinating to me.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 AM

Yes would like to hear more info on this if u have some. I find it interesting. Nice pic even if it a lil grainy lol
Old 09-14-2015, 01:08 PM

Thats truely amazing thanks for sharing Marty
Old 09-14-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
Cool picture!
x2
Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret coulee View Post
Thats truely amazing thanks for sharing Marty
It is what it is
Old 09-14-2015, 07:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
It is what it is
It wuz what it wuz?

Last edited by Marty S; 09-14-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:31 PM
AO Sponsor

I just stuck the photo up cause it's such an awesome photo, a little mystique to it even. Funny that it was taken a few years ago on a crappy flip phone. A modern iPhone would have taken a much better picture.

This guy doesn't want his name broadcasted all over the Internet, I'm quite certain of that. But I believe this guy is the most advanced canine killer the USA has ever seen, and like no contest! Yes a seemingly arrogant statement, but "arrogance" in a statement isn't arrogance if the statement is true! I do realize the likes of people who have achieved high in the USA. He is a full time year round trapper. I think he was hired specifically to do this wolf pack one winter.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 PM

That is a great haul. Their is also a guy on here who was lucky enough get a pack with his 30 30 while mose hunting a couple years back. But I would like to sit down with him and pick his brain for one hour to find out how he did it.

Gordon
Old 09-14-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Texan View Post
Without a little more detail I'm thinking probably Dallas too.
Best not get too many people reved up here. This has turned into a mighty testy forum and gunsels are on edge. Sorry to derail you post Marty.. I'm sure Dallas has been out of the loop for a while. Last I heard he was trying to make his way into B.C. For some reason he thought it was still as wild as it was in the 80s. As far as being hired by government it's definitely not Claude Dallas lol
Old 09-14-2015, 10:59 PM

Trapper for my area last winter took out 6 wolves with little effort off of Oil and Gas roads with his pickup and approved road killed moose. All snares and a leg hold or two. I thought that was pretty impressive. I haven't heard of too many trappers in the local area around where I'm at getting much more than 2 or 3 for the most part. Coyotes, yeah no problem. Wolves are hard to trap!
Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Oh whatever Coy, it's no fun if nobody talks.
Tex, just so you know the guy did have access to basic ADC resources in order to do the job, not just a fur trapper getting hired by a ranch. He's a true professional, tho I am certain that I am his biggest fan.
Definitely not Claude Dallas.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:45 AM

Gene Walters would take 20-30 wolves a year off his 2-3 traplines on the Goose River. Lots of knowledge and hard work.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh whatever Coy, it's no fun if nobody talks.
Tex, just so you know the guy did have access to basic ADC resources in order to do the job, not just a fur trapper getting hired by a ranch. He's a true professional, tho I am certain that I am his biggest fan.
Definitely not Claude Dallas.
I thought that might be the case, that's why all the questions. I worked with several in Montana and they often hired people for specific jobs where choppers wouldn't work and especially if USFW was involved. Not saying this guy is from Montana, just the country looks similar. There is one guy that snares coyotes in a wide open pasture with not a blade of grass higher than 3 inches.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Default Wolves

Airplane ???
Old 09-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Airplane ???
Not likely. It's just that ADC [animal damage control] and USFW [Fish Wildlife] are different dept's with different procedures and usually USFW takes precedence over ADC when it comes to wolves and grizzly but do not have full time control staff so they may hire someone to do control work. The relationship is similar or worse than AB agriculture and AB fish and wildlife. The standard procedure was to radio collar a Judas wolf in each pack where there was a possibility they might kill livestock or had. If kills occurred a chopper could find the pack and they would all be shot. This was in relatively open country, in the bush a trapper [possibly the photo] might be hired. Worked well but was expensive and controversial.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:24 PM

great picture .. thanks marty and fun story
claude dallas sposed to be in utah somewhere ... out prison in 04 or 05
might be him
Old 09-15-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
great picture .. thanks marty and fun story
claude dallas sposed to be in utah somewhere ... out prison in 04 or 05
might be him
I know a couple guys that cowboyed with Claude in Nevada. He trapped quite in bit in b.c too. Stories they tell he was some one you didn't cross.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:50 PM
AO Sponsor

Please allow me to make a note that I do not know Claude Dallas, and I am not his fan.
But I wouldn't want to cross this guy! Not even from a mile away!!! Just nothing quite like a guy with a .50 cal if he knows how to use it and this fellow most certainly does!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
I know a couple guys that cowboyed with Claude in Nevada. He trapped quite in bit in b.c too. Stories they tell he was some one you didn't cross.
i suspect he is not the man to cross but in the same breath i bet he is loyal as hell to his friends. A legend anyway you look at it

Marty
.. still a great story ... and thanks again wish the picture was clear ... be a great desk top ..lol
Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Please allow me to make a note that I do not know Claude Dallas, and I am not his fan.
But I wouldn't want to cross this guy! Not even from a mile away!!! Just nothing quite like a guy with a .50 cal if he knows how to use it and this fellow most certainly does!
I have got to know a trapper from northern Nevada. Some of the stories he has told me about trapper vs trapper and competition over area would blow your mind. As well as some of the interaction with the USFW. He claims that there is a new breed of game warden down there that are Iraq vets, they treat everybody like they are the still fighting the Taliban ha ha ! Great picture by the way. The story would be good I am sure.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaClipper403 View Post
A real trapper wouldn't use a quad or gun.
#NotOldSchool
here we go

Let's see your trappin pics please
Old 09-15-2015, 10:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaClipper403 View Post
A real trapper wouldn't use a quad or gun.
#NotOldSchool
Wrong my new friend, a real trapper uses his brains.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Wrong my new friend, a real trapper uses his brains.

AMEN Marty.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Default Trapper

i have never seen a trapper without a gun.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Cool picture. Thanks for posting. It would make an interesting story, that's for sure.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 AM
AO Sponsor

I got in contact with him to ask a little more, the obvious questions. How did you get them, how many trapped/snared vs shot. I mistakenly assumed that he had shot a few from a plane and trapped the rest, possibly even hit a few with M-44s. How wrong I was!

This pack of wolves had been in a specific area and were doing extensive stock damage the word extensive being an understatement! as the wolves had done about $200,000 damage in livestock value. This pack of wolves had been named "The Phantom Pack" as the government guys showed up and tried to kill them, and tried for 2 years to get them but for some reason unknown to me these guys couldn't do the job and they got zero! Funny eh? Two years and got zero! (I heard a funny story similar in SW Alberta once! minus the flying) So they contracted my friend.

His job was to kill all 13 wolves and he couldn't use a plane as in his words, "it was all dark forest, I couldn't use the plane". He was dealing with a pack that had been highly educated as the g-men had been harassing them for two years. He used traps, snares, and calls, taking 5 with traps, 4 with snares and called and killed the other 4 with the rifle, and he did the job in 7 weeks!

No aircraft and no poison used!

I say congrats, and well done my true friend! This is a true accomplishment!