Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Default The Snare Shop

Has anybody ever dealt with these guys.

Thanks
Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-21-2014, 03:56 PM

Yes. Very nice people . Easy to deal with. Payed for half of my shipping order on the last big order. Buy most of my supplies there.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:52 PM

get all my snares from them
Old 12-21-2014, 05:01 PM

seems strange to not support the people that work hard to keep trapping what it is in alberta and canada. the americans aren't doing canada any favours as far as the modern fur trade goes. why support them?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
seems strange to not support the people that work hard to keep trapping what it is in alberta and canada. the americans aren't doing canada any favours as far as the modern fur trade goes. why support them?
Maybe our Canadian suppliers should start to realize that there's a reason trappers are going out of country. Why is it I can buy 5/64 1/19 for 4.5 cent a foot in town and halfords are raping a person for 10cent a foot. I bought over 400$ worth of locks, breakaways, crimps,and kill springs from to snare shop. I called Halford with my order is was over 900$
Old 12-21-2014, 05:49 PM

I'll support local but when I can order in and pay less even with shipping....local shops need to take note and charge us accordingly instead of bending us over...

LC
Old 12-21-2014, 06:25 PM

I've been wondering if the snareshop kill springs are the same quality as Marty's? I've found his regular springs to be of good quality and are like new even after a few catches.

I often wonder if cheaper prices come with a quality trade off?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
True enough but when the Canadian dealers smarten up and charge a normal price then maybe I will buy from them. To charge double is robbery plain and simple. I paid $160 for my 8 foot snares from the U.S. Look at Halfords prices
https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS...NG.aspx?store=

If you want to support the local guys and go broke have at it but it ticks me off that we have to get charged rediculous prices.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Banned

I'm not sure why prices are so out of wack between Canada and the USA. Recently I wanted to buy a set of trapping dvd's that cost $20 at the Wisconsin Trappers Association and $40 at The Snare Shop. The same dvd set at a well known trapper's supply store here in Alberta is $81. I'd like to support small Canadian businesses but I won't pay double the price, or triple in some cases, on products to do it. I don't have money to throw away like that.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

If you want to support the local guys and go broke have at it but it ticks me off that we have to get charged rediculous prices.
it's the same with almost everything. from fishing,hunting,reloading,skiing ect. in most cases the shear volume and lower taxes allow cheaper products in the states.

certainly, a person needs to be able to spend there money how ever they want. and being frugal is key. there are many ways to save money. and keep it in canada.

look at whats just happened in sk. the best defence from having that happen here. is and strong group of local suppliers/trappers assc.

the snare shop doesn't give a crap what happens in alberta.unless everyone is forced buy pre made, crappy snares from them. like what just has happened in SK.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 AM

Snare shops prices are great for snare products but the leg holds, connibears are on par with the guys up here. Just like anything you have to price check before buying
Old 12-22-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
it's the same with almost everything. from fishing,hunting,reloading,skiing ect. in most cases the shear volume and lower taxes allow cheaper products in the states.

certainly, a person needs to be able to spend there money how ever they want. and being frugal is key. there are many ways to save money. and keep it in canada.

look at whats just happened in sk. the best defence from having that happen here. is and strong group of local suppliers/trappers assc.

the snare shop doesn't give a crap what happens in alberta.unless everyone is forced buy pre made, crappy snares from them. like what just has happened in SK.
I'm all for shopping locally, but am wondering if Sask. has made it mandatory to use manufactured snares? This is in direct contravention of the humane agreement isn't it?
Old 12-22-2014, 02:13 PM

I buy from Dakota line and have always got great service, fast and reasonable shipping and a decent product. I would also buy locally but prices are redonkulous. For the price too get set up properly and make my own snares, it works out cheaper for me to buy them already made.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberman View Post
I'm all for shopping locally, but am wondering if Sask. has made it mandatory to use manufactured snares? This is in direct contravention of the humane agreement isn't it?
no, just a very poor policy. put on by the province.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6tmile View Post
For the price too get set up properly and make my own snares, it works out cheaper for me to buy them already made.
You must not be using many snares. Actually it cost very little to get set up to make your own snares. All you need is a cable cutter ($39), a piece of iron (railroad track) and a hammer which you probably already have. A swagger is not necessary to make reliable snares.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
You must not be using many snares. Actually it cost very little to get set up to make your own snares. All you need is a cable cutter ($39), a piece of iron (railroad track) and a hammer which you probably already have. A swagger is not necessary to make reliable snares.
Costs me $ 1.37 to build a snare. $2.37 with a dispatch spring.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:04 PM

Even if you buy the swagger , the cost is very quickly recouped ! Can change lengths as you see the need , make extra extensions etc ! The 180$ is quickly paid back ! if your gonna be using 100+ snares a year you can't afford not to make your own !!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Even if you buy the swagger , the cost is very quickly recouped ! Can change lengths as you see the need , make extra extensions etc ! The 180$ is quickly paid back ! if your gonna be using 100+ snares a year you can't afford not to make your own !!!!
X2

There's nothing like the right tool for the job!
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Costs me $ 1.37 to build a snare. $2.37 with a dispatch spring.
My last dozen from Dakotaline ,already made was $24.95 .. kill spring ,mini cam lock, trigger , wammy, swivel, 6 ft 5/64 " cable 1x19,265# BAD .
Old 12-22-2014, 08:45 PM

Can't beat that
Old 12-22-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
My last dozen from Dakotaline ,already made was $24.95 .. kill spring ,mini cam lock, trigger , wammy, swivel, 6 ft 5/64 " cable 1x19,265# BAD .
Mind if I ask how much the shipping cost ?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Mine I think were $1.60 from Snare shop last order if I remember right. Wammy, 8 feet of 1x19 , camlock with teeth and adjustable end on it. Cheap and they work just fine
Old 12-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Mind if I ask how much the shipping cost ?
This summer ten dozen snares and the tool to load the kill spring cost me US$60 plus about $20 CD in customs fees. It was still a big savings in comparison to Halford's Hides but probably not as much now with the lower Cdn $.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 PM

Still gonna keep makng my own ! Like to relax in the evening and whip up 10-20 or whatever I need ! it's better than watching the idiot box !
Old 12-22-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
still gonna keep makng my own ! Like to relax in the evening and whip up 10-20 or whatever i need ! It's better than watching the idiot box !
Old 12-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Still gonna keep makng my own ! Like to relax in the evening and whip up 10-20 or whatever I need ! it's better than watching the idiot box !
Where are you going to buy your snare parts?

I just made a dozen extensions tonight. I won't say where I had to buy my coyote swivels.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 PM

I got my springs right from Marty S . The rest I got from halfords on short notice due to my October course . I will shop around more next summer and see if there is some cheaper parts ..... But I'm still under 2.50 a snare for 8 footers . Washers I found at crappy tire for cheaper as well as the tubing ! Halfords wire prices I found comparable if you buy 3 rolls at a time .

Now if I could just get some more bait .........
Old 12-22-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I got my springs right from Marty S . The rest I got from halfords on short notice due to my October course . I will shop around more next summer and see if there is some cheaper parts ..... But I'm still under 2.50 a snare for 8 footers . Washers I found at crappy tire for cheaper as well as the tubing ! Halfords wire prices I found comparable if you buy 3 rolls at a time .

Now if I could just get some more bait .........
I have access to lots of bait if you need some, depending on where your located
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-22-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
x3 I like to make my own snares,buy my supplies from Marty S as well,keeps me occupied,i like to support the local guys as well,but me thinks they may be taking advantage of us a wee bit,i have bought from Dakota line and F&T's as well,cheers Peter
Old 12-23-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I have access to lots of bait if you need some, depending on where your located
I'm running low on bait now that hunting season is done. I may have to shut her down here shortly unless I get some more