Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned

Default Calgary restaurant closes due to increasing property taxes

Sad to see businesses like this being forced out of business by our own government.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3277485/lo.../?sf59126545=1
Quote:
After nearly three decades in business a downtown Calgary restaurant has closed its doors permanently.

“After serving our clients for the past 29 years, Abruzzo Ristorante has chosen to close due to continual increased operating costs, particularly ever-increasing city property taxes facing businesses in the downtown sector,” read an automated email reply to its online booking system.

“We sincerely thank you for your patronage.”
Old 03-01-2017, 01:03 PM

Alot of people seem to think its okay to tax business alot. But most businesses are small, and $5K to $10K is alot of money, in some cases, possibly 10% of their profits.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Very sad to see. Taxing to death seems to be the norm nowadays.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Hey, the city has to pay for important stuff like blue rings and $ 245 million dollar library branches. That's a quarter of a billion dollars to check out information that's already available online through Tim Hortons free Wifi!

If the proletariat cannot financially support the whimsical projects of the feudal lords down at city hall then they're simply not working hard enough! Best reduce the age and wage for legal child labor so that these working families can fund the ego's of our city councilors. Best put in some new bike lanes to reduce vehicular access while they're at it. Less vehicles burning fuel that pays for road-building taxes for the bicycles will sure improve everything!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Sad to see businesses like this being forced out of business by our own government.
There's quite a bit more to this actually. The core of the problem is a change the city made a couple years ago to how they assess property taxes on downtown parcels. This has had a huge impact on restaurants that occupy single story buildings downtown, Abruzzo is not the first. The owner of Escoba drew a lot of attention to this issue in 2015 but eventually closed his place last year.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2051405/97...-bistro-owner/

It's not a simple issue, nobody wants to see these guys struggle like this. I especially loved to eat at Escoba too. On the other hand it seems fair that their property taxes be assessed based on the value of their land rather than revenue, the same way mine is. This is not a simple question.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

if it moves, tax it. If it still moves, tax it again. If it stops moving, subsidize it.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Shame. It was a good place to eat.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM

My business tax just went up 66%....Last year...$372 to $975 this year...

They are not only increasing property tax but other business taxes that most Calgarians do not see!

What a bunch of crap and yeah....Vote that Nenshi idiot out
Old 03-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Yeah, it seems like the city thinks that double digit property tax hikes every year is A-OK.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM

I suspect the energy sector downsizing and reining in of free-flowing expense accounts had a lot more to do with the closure of the pricey downtown eatery than property taxes. But who really knows? Can't really say more unless they produce a tax bill with a huge increase.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I suspect the energy sector downsizing and reining in of free-flowing expense accounts had a lot more to do with the closure of the pricey downtown eatery than property taxes.
This.. But hey.. They got free media coverage and a free jab at the NDP.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 PM

Have a small business with only a few people, small shop. Moved in 2013 taxes were $18,000.00 which was unbelievable. Every year since taxes have gone up approx. $2000.00/yr. 2017 municipal tax bill over $24,000.00!! That is just my small operation..

For what??!!

That is robbery!! Legalized crime really!!
Old 03-01-2017, 05:21 PM

The increase in minimum wage is also hitting the smaller restaurants bottom lines pretty hard.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
My business tax just went up 66%....Last year...$372 to $975 this year...

They are not only increasing property tax but other business taxes that most Calgarians do not see!

What a bunch of crap and yeah....Vote that Nenshi idiot out
Apparently the prince of purple is tossing his hat in for a third term. Probably wants an olympic legacy.