Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Banned

Default How hard will the Alberta backlash be next election?

Not a bad article in the Post.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp...very-own-trump

Part of the article:

Quote:
When politicians are certain their cause is righteous, they can rationalize away accounting for the will of the people. But in democracies, the people eventually get their revenge. In the U.S. that vengeance looked like Donald Trump.

What it will look like in Canada we might soon find out, as tempers rise against unresponsive rulers in two powerful provinces, and possibly elsewhere. The picture in Alberta is particularly grim. As a new poll from Mainstreet Research for Postmedia confirms, the Alberta NDP is on an entirely different planet than the rest of the province on some of its biggest, most impactful policies.

It’s hard to overstate how unwelcome the NDP’s climate policies have been in Alberta, although it wasn’t hard to predict that imposing a carbon tax in a province built on carbon came off as particularly belligerent. Premier Rachel Notley hadn’t said a word about it in campaigning for election, but afterward claimed that in town halls she’d heard people “wanted a government that was going to take action” on emissions. Of course, such town halls are notorious for representing no actual towns, but rather a self-selected group of highly motivated policy activists. Everywhere else, regular Albertans wanted nothing of the sort.

Now, a month after the carbon tax kicked in, nearly two-thirds of Albertans oppose it, despite Mainstreet’s poll question reminding them it was “aimed at … gaining social licence across Canada for new pipeline projects.” It also mentioned that “full rebates will go to an estimated 60 per cent of Albertans” and “two-thirds of Albertans will receive at least a partial rebate.”
I'm starting to think the NDP might only hold onto a seat or two in Redmonton. (think/hope )
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM

As long as we don't get that split vote again, NDP will almost certainly get wiped out, as far as federal gov't that might happen also.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned

I don't have a lot of faith in Albertans right now. I believe there are some old conservatives who are beginning to warm up to the NDP.

My beliefs are based on comments on this forum.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I don't have a lot of faith in Albertans right now. I believe there are some old conservatives who are beginning to warm up to the NDP.

My beliefs are based on comments on this forum.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Not a bad article in the Post.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp...very-own-trump

Part of the article:

I'm starting to think the NDP might only hold onto a seat or two in Redmonton. (think/hope )
And I suspect, their fast and loose with the rules and money will have some going to jail......so in that sense they may retain their govt funded $ support.

Will be interesting to see how fast and far the rats they imported to fill govt director jobs and boards and chief of staff positions, will scurry. I imagine many of them will be expecting the exhoribant severance clauses, they got inappropriately, will actually be honored. I'd fire them and tell them to go pound sand. Tie it up with a good lawyer and let them know their likelihood of a payout is just as probable as Rachel becoming right-wing.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 PM

NDP~~doing what hasn't been done before!! Hmmmmmm

http://albertapolitics.ca/2017/02/op...r-gravy-train/

[in part, more by following the link above]

Being a conservative in opposition apparently turns what your Mama taught you on its head: If you can’t say anything bad, don’t say anything at all!

That would be one explanation for the spooky silence from Alberta’s Wildrose Opposition and the usual suspects on the right about Finance Minister Joe Ceci’s announcement Friday he was pulling the plug on millions in pay and perks for executives at 23 Alberta agencies, boards and commissions – part of the so-called ABC Sector.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
NDP~~doing what hasn't been done before!! Hmmmmmm

http://albertapolitics.ca/2017/02/op...r-gravy-train/

[in part, more by following the link above]

Being a conservative in opposition apparently turns what your Mama taught you on its head: If you can’t say anything bad, don’t say anything at all!

That would be one explanation for the spooky silence from Alberta’s Wildrose Opposition and the usual suspects on the right about Finance Minister Joe Ceci’s announcement Friday he was pulling the plug on millions in pay and perks for executives at 23 Alberta agencies, boards and commissions – part of the so-called ABC Sector.
Good for the NDP. It's about time some housecleaning got done. (I'm still not voting for them)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Good for the NDP. It's about time some housecleaning got done. (I'm still not voting for them)
Except they can't reduce the wages if these people have contracts. So in reality, this is all a farce.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:56 PM

I'm happy about the housecleaning too, and some of it has gone deeper than the media reports. A recent poll showed that the only area of Alberta that still would retain some NDP seats is of course Edmonton. I'm hoping the right gets it's act together very soon, if it doesn't Wildrose will get more votes than the PC's.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Except they can't reduce the wages if these people have contracts. So in reality, this is all a farce.
Good point. I wonder how much power Ceci has to actually pull any of these perks that are in place?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 PM
Banned

Rug, I have to say that you are tireless in your ever ongoing threads about politics. As far as I'm concerned, they are all crooks and liars, and I really have to chuckle when I read posts about what the "polls" are saying. What a joke. Polls are good to pee on, but when is the last time one was close?
Trouble I and most albertans have is the lack of choice. We just got rid of the old boys club that treated alberta like their private club and hardworking albertans like thier servants Wildrose had a great shot, but near the election showed their true colors by trying to join the old boys. What backstabbing cowards. So Albertans held thier nose and voted for the only real alternative. Now they are doublecrossing us and making policies and laws that they never mentioned.
Tell me Rug, how can there be a great backlash when there is no one else to vote for? Is there time for a new party to be formed by next election? How about A party that would at least threaten to leave Canada the way Quebec does do get huge windfalls from Ontario? I'd vote for them.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Trouble I and most albertans have is the lack of choice.
Yep.

And don't underestimate the stupidity of the average voter. People figured the libs in ontario would be blasted in the last election and look what happened. I figure a second term of NDP is coming.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Yep.

And don't underestimate the stupidity of the average voter. People figured the libs in ontario would be blasted in the last election and look what happened. I figure a second term of NDP is coming.
It will most likely happen, especially when you consider the total disarray of the opposition. They really need to work together, but they are too focused on gaining 'power' for themselves.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:28 PM

Saw a great bumper sticker the other day.
NDP Notley Destroys Province.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 PM

Smile Over confidence?

Lets just count up what might help the NDP win another turn:
1. Redistribution
2. Appealing to youth
3. Union support
4. Rural Urban split
5 A fatal split on the right
6.A split on a generational basis.
7. A Trump backlash effect in Alberta.

O.K. that doesn't factor in that the government is trying to appeal to its base and expand it, like the Castle Off Road Vehicle business.

If the right can't merge and get a more charismatic leader we all may be looking at 4 more years.
Over confidence is the worst enemy and there are lots more.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 AM

Unhappy Alberta, the good ol' days are gone.

All is lost!

With continued voter anger over what the ****** PC's did to Alberta in their last years, the lack of a popular viable alternative, and what I read here on this thread, I think we should buckle down for a 15 to 20 year NDP dynasty here in Alberta.

Put your head between your legs, and kiss your exit hole goodby

I'm moving to Saskatchewan
Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 AM

As long as Wild Rose keeps siphoning off votes on the right , there is always a good chance of a NDP re election. Excactly like the last time
Old 02-28-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Lets just count up what might help the NDP win another turn:
1. Redistribution
2. Appealing to youth
3. Union support
4. Rural Urban split
5 A fatal split on the right
6.A split on a generational basis.
7. A Trump backlash effect in Alberta.

O.K. that doesn't factor in that the government is trying to appeal to its base and expand it, like the Castle Off Road Vehicle business.

If the right can't merge and get a more charismatic leader we all may be looking at 4 more years.
Over confidence is the worst enemy and there are lots more.
You forgot

8. Probable economic recovery.

Typically, in good economic times, the party in power remains in power, as voters don't see a need to vote for change.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
All is lost!

I'm moving to Saskatchewan
I heard the women chew cope and the men don't shave their legs there...
Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Maybe the wild rose will get in. The Conservative party would not have done any better then the NDP with the way oil prices are. If conservstive would have done s better job for the 40 years they were in low oil prices wouldn't sting so much.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Rug, I have to say that you are tireless in your ever ongoing threads about politics. As far as I'm concerned, they are all crooks and liars, and I really have to chuckle when I read posts about what the "polls" are saying. What a joke. Polls are good to pee on, but when is the last time one was close?
Trouble I and most albertans have is the lack of choice. We just got rid of the old boys club that treated alberta like their private club and hardworking albertans like thier servants Wildrose had a great shot, but near the election showed their true colors by trying to join the old boys. What backstabbing cowards. So Albertans held thier nose and voted for the only real alternative. Now they are doublecrossing us and making policies and laws that they never mentioned.
Tell me Rug, how can there be a great backlash when there is no one else to vote for? Is there time for a new party to be formed by next election? How about A party that would at least threaten to leave Canada the way Quebec does do get huge windfalls from Ontario? I'd vote for them.
So you would vote for a party that whines and cries and threatens to separate from Canada every time they want something? Perhaps you should compare Alberta and Quebec, and look at the differences in the number of seats, and the fact that Quebec is in the East while Alberts is in the West, and you should realize that while this tactic works for Quebec, it likely wouldn't work for Alberta. Just look at how eager our government is to bail out Bombardier, while wanting to phase out our Alberta industries, and it should be obvious as to how our federal government views Alberta.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-28-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
You forgot

Typically, in good economic times, the party in power remains in power, as voters don't see a need to vote for change.
Got you fingers crossed I'm sure. Keep drinking the Kool Aid.....
Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
You forgot

And you think we are in good economic times? With higher taxes and deficits?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
And you think we are in good economic times? With higher taxes and deficits?
Where did you get that I think we are in good economic times?

Oil prices are inching up, and field activity is increasing, as well as growth in many other areas of the Alberta economy, but "good" is not where we are yet. In a couple of years, maybe we will be.

At which point, the average voter will think that things are OK and have no desire for change.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Where did you get that I think we are in good economic times?

Oil prices are inching up, and field activity is increasing, as well as growth in many other areas of the Alberta economy, but "good" is not where we are yet. In a couple of years, maybe we will be.

At which point, the average voter will think that things are OK and have no desire for change.
If oil prices do improve significantly, you can be sure that the NDP will take advantage by adding even more taxes, and spending even more of our money to ensure that we don't get to enjoy the higher oil prices.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
If oil prices do improve significantly, you can be sure that the NDP will take advantage by adding even more taxes, and spending even more of our money to ensure that we don't get to enjoy the higher oil prices.
Time will, obviously, tell.

(How's that Heritage Trust Fund working out for you, by the way?)
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Of course they will Elk, that's a guarantee and just hope they continue to exist in their little bubble, like their handful of ardent supporters on this forum, talking amongst themselves, convincing each other that they're truly in touch with grassroots Albertans.

As Comrade Notley herself put it, "we are doomed to be ourselves", or words to that effect. They are utterly incapable of governing in any other fashion.

They can only buy off so many people with their own money and Albertans are now tuned in to their incompetence and hypocrisy and realize just what a disaster an extended term in office for this bunch would mean for the province....
Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 AM

When was the last time we enjoyed higher oil prices. Big Oil are the ones that enjoy higher oil prices, average Albertan only gets the crumbs.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Of course they will Elk, that's a guarantee and just hope they continue to exist in their little bubble, like their handful of ardent supporters on this forum, talking amongst themselves, convincing each other that they're truly in touch with grassroots Albertans.

As Comrade Notley herself put it, "we are doomed to be ourselves", or words to that effect. They are utterly incapable of governing in any other fashion.

They can only buy off so many people with their own money and Albertans are now tuned in to their incompetence and hypocrisy and realize just what a disaster an extended term in office for this bunch would mean for the province....
A person only has to look back at how the NDP behaved in other provinces, and how those provinces suffered under the NDP to see their true colors. It took Saskatchewan many years to come to their senses, but they finally vanquished the NDP plague. Hopefully, it doesn't take Alberta that long.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
So you would vote for a party that whines and cries and threatens to separate from Canada every time they want something? Perhaps you should compare Alberta and Quebec, and look at the differences in the number of seats, and the fact that Quebec is in the East while Alberts is in the West, and you should realize that while this tactic works for Quebec, it likely wouldn't work for Alberta. Just look at how eager our government is to bail out Bombardier, while wanting to phase out our Alberta industries, and it should be obvious as to how our federal government views Alberta.
Exactly Elk. Alberta (and the rest of the west) gets little or no respect from Ottawa. We don't have to whine or complain all the time, but it sure would be nice if our provincial party respected and worked for the AB people and stood up to Ottawa now and then. I don't see that kind of party on the ballot in AB yet.