Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Did he happen to be Filipino?
Nope. Young man in his 20's, and drove his jeep to a nice viewpoint looking towards the South Ghost. We missed him by a few hours we think based on some of the things we observed. This was early spring of 2009.

Last edited by Albertadiver; 02-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Banned

Lost 2 brothers in the last 5 years to suicide. One lived just down the street and one in Edmonton. Both in their late 40`s, both single but not in dire financial straights. The town brother I found hanging in his garage, the other was pills and wasn`t found till the smell got real bad. Both of them were a little off and becoming more depressed. I tried to be there for them, invited the Edmonton one to move here ,he loved the country when he visited. The local one I found later had a well hidden meth problem. He came to dinner almost every Sunday.
Maybe they were lonely, had mental issues, Idon`t know. I am married but have never had a problem being alone, actually prefer it .
You can`t save everybody, sometimes you can`t save anybody.
It bothered me hard at first but after a while you got to look after yourself.
Both brothers and my Dads ashes reside on a ridge a few miles out of town where I hunt so I get to visit a lot. Better than a graveyard.
Makes me happy when I see 150 elk pooping on them. Elk love that hillside.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Nope. Young man in his 20's, and drove his jeep to a nice viewpoint looking towards the South Ghost. We missed him by a few hours we think based on some of the things we observed. This was early spring of 2009.
I remember that one Diver. I have thought about that situation many times as I have spent some time down there. It will bother you the rest of your life thinking about these situations. Too bad the ones suffering are the ones left behind.
I've had a lot of training and courses on PTSD the last 2 years. Emergency responders are doing better at battling it. Wish there was more help for the Public out there on where to look for help after dealing with these situations.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
If you know someone who has been down for a time and discussed suicide and then seems to snap out of it and is happy, get him/her help. Chances are that person has decided to commit suicide and is at peace with the decision. This happened to one of the wife's cousins, caught everyone off guard and broke a lot of hearts. We later learned this is quite common behaviour.
I agree with this as I've experienced this myself with a fellow first responder who took his life last sept. He'd been going thru some tough times and some of his closer friends knew him to be possibly suicidal. I was with him the night he took his life and he seemed happier than he'd been in some time.
And for what it's worth he had drank more than he usually would have that night.... so that does seem to make sense that alcohol could be the match that ignites the fuel.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

There's red flags right on this forum- http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=309507
Let's make sure we're all there to support these people!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I remember that one Diver. I have thought about that situation many times as I have spent some time down there. It will bother you the rest of your life thinking about these situations. Too bad the ones suffering are the ones left behind.
I've had a lot of training and courses on PTSD the last 2 years. Emergency responders are doing better at battling it. Wish there was more help for the Public out there on where to look for help after dealing with these situations.
Oddly enough I wasn't all that affected for some reason. I did reach out to the family and offer some comfort related to how we found him, wasn't violent, etc. They seemed to be helped a bit knowing he was treated with dignity etc.

Ever since then we don't really spend any time in that area of the Ghost, but we've been a few times. My wife and I don't winter camp there anymore either.

For the guys that deal with this day in and day out it's got to be tough to compartmentalize. My uncle was a platoon chief for the Red Deer fire dept. Some of the stories he'd talk about, and some not so much.

Suicide affects everyone around the person doing the act.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:03 PM

Default signs of suicide

I have seen and been on both sides of "fence"

Let see short form.

High school (98) Girl that I secretly loved committed suicide. Only if she had known. For years I blamed myself.

My darkest years, 2003, Lost of marriage (divorce finalized in 2007) and daughter. No support from my parents who have been through divorces. I fell deeper into darkness not even my brothers of arms while I served this country could really help. Yes I thought about suicide almost every other day.
seeking happiness I moved to Calgary in 2006.

Younger brother tried committing suicide by drinking and drinking. High speed crash into light pole. Lone occupant of vehicle luckly no one else involved in crash. He has brain damage and uncomfirmed PTSD.

12 years later with a new lease on life after severe medical issues of my own. I am full of life and activitely seeking new adventures with the new love of my life. My past is behind me and I am well on my way in finding total inner peace with myself.

Viking Caliber

Last edited by Viking Caliber; 03-01-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Caliber View Post
I have seen and been on both sides of "fence"

Let see short form.

High school (98) Girl that I secretly loved committed suicide. Only if she had known. For years I blamed myself.

My darkest years, 2003, Lost of marriage and daughter. No support from my parents who have been through divorces. I fell deeper into darkness not even my brothers of arms while I served this country could really help. Yes I thought about suicide almost every other day.
seeking happiness I moved to Calgary in 2006.

Younger brother tried committing suicide by drinking and drinking. High speed crash into light pole. Lone occupant of vehicle luckly no one else involved in crash. He has brain damage and uncomfirmed PTSD.

12 years later with a new lease on life after severe medical issues of my own. I am full of life and activitely seeking new adventures with the new love of my life. My past is behind me and I am well on my way in finding total inner peace with myself.

Viking Caliber
Very happy to see your positive outlook!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:43 AM

I deal with this on almost a daily basis in my job and it hasn't gotten any easier in 20 years. Just when I think I have a formula for success a monkey wrench gets thrown into the works and that is because everyone is different and every situation is different .
It's stressful for the everyone involved and one can only help so much.....
Cat
Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Can't recall the exact number total, but after 32 years in Jr - Sr Hgh Schools, I attended upward of a dozen student funerals .... two were suicides.