Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Default Uber is back in Calgary

Anyone tried Uber in Calgary yet? I used it last night and it was way better than most of my taxi experiences.

If you sign up with the promo code mattd1196 your first ride is free. Beats waiting for a cab in these temperatures this weekend.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 AM

I've used it in other cities. SO much better than cabs. Know where they are and when they are coming, know the driver and his/her ratings, quoted a firm price and no tipping. No worries about a driver trying to rip you off and take a detour. With the firm price they have no incentive not to take the fastest route. Get the app.

The one drawback is this: A driver told us that though you put in your destination to get a price, Uber doesn't tell the driver where you are going in advance. This is designed to avoid drivers turning down fares because they don't want to go a certain place. We got hit with the downside of that in San Francisco. We grabbed an Uber ride to go from SF to San Jose. Trip would be over an hour. After driving us for 10 minutes our driver said she couldn't take us because she had to pick up her nephew in an hour and would not have time to get back. She just threw us out with our luggage on a street corner in an area we were unfamiliar with. We had to order another car. That's the only problem I've had with Uber.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:42 AM

seriously cabbies are not doing themself any favour with their attitude and driving and little shady practice like taking the long way or dont know the way and over use of GPS eye literally is on gps more then road ,talking on Bluetooth etc... you wonder how they got their license . uber driver service has bit more of a professional and higher standard feel to it , due to the fact that each driver has a rating system and can be view by potential/future customers.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:48 AM

Default big fan of Uber

I like the fact that you dont need to pay the driver, the app does it. I love the fact that i know exactly what its going to cost before I get in the vehicle. You also know exactly when your ride is going to be there and can follow there progress.

Whats not to LIKE!!! The cab companies need to get into the 21'st century if they are going to be competitive.