Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:22 PM

Default Poor customer service???

As stated. What's your opinions. I'm a little baffled....... There was a sale (15% of high end optics) at a south Calgary store Around ikea..... I went in to pick up a 3000$ spotter and apparently the sale ended yesterday. Whenever I've missed sales. By. A day!!! It's been honoured. A sales a sale?? No?
1-I don't need it now
2-don't really need to upgrade
3-if I buy there at a later date. Is that the type of service/warranty. Etc. I will get?

I just can't believe they wouldn't honour something like that. Maybe I'm the one out to lunch. But other stores have always came through. Btw. Took all steps/manager. Etc. To see if they would honour it. Oh well. 2500$ to spend another day!
Old 12-08-2016, 01:50 PM

Well you shouldn't seem baffled sales for sale and you missed it seems pretty cut-and-dry to me .
Old 12-08-2016, 01:55 PM

50/50 Imo, lucky you were given an extra day before, but have to expect some wont.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:06 PM

It's not the fault of the store that you arrived after the sale ended, so no, they shouldn't be obligated to sell to you at the sale price. It's not poor customer service, just a poor customer.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Banned

Depends.
I sell photographic equipment.
If it was a store sale we would likely have honored the price.
But... (always a but)
Sometimes it is a manufacturers rebate...then you're out of luck.
For example...there are rebates on Canon product right now that end Dec 23.
With the rebate, the price you pay is below our cost.
If the invoice we forward to Canon says Dec 24 they will not rebate the money to us.
So we can't sell it to you because it would mean we will lose money on the sale.
So not always cut and dried.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM

Paule;
I'm with you, but then that's the generation I'm from, service meant something and a repeat Customer was an asset. BUT in defense of the Store as yet unnamed, they put in Policy's, usually due to some abuse / event in the past.
If I was the store manger and you wanted the high end item I would have sold it at the sale price, gartered the cash flow for my year end numbers, and gained at least another visit / opportunity for a sale sometime in the future. i.e like in Tin Men "push the positive cash flow at what ever the cost" at least when I Business Coach that what I suggest.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM
Banned

Most sales are for a week or so if it's an advertised sale, so yes your procrastination is on you and not the store.

If it was a one day in store sale and the employee told you about it then perhaps honouring it would be a possibility.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:38 PM

To me if you missed the sale and they wouldn't honor the sales price doesn't sounds like poor customer service to me.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Paule;
I'm with you, but then that's the generation I'm from, service meant something and a repeat Customer was an asset. BUT in defense of the Store as yet unnamed, they put in Policy's, usually due to some abuse / event in the past.
If I was the store manger and you wanted the high end item I would have sold it at the sale price, gartered the cash flow for my year end numbers, and gained at least another visit / opportunity for a sale sometime in the future. i.e like in Tin Men "push the positive cash flow at what ever the cost" at least when I Business Coach that what I suggest.
Another example of the attitude so prevalent today...why should I take responsibility for anything in my life.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
snip
The rule is 'never waste your time negotiating with someone who is not authorized (or empowered) to give you what you want'.
This manager(?) might not have had that authority.

The sale that one seller declines, will usually result in the buyer taking their current (and most probably future) business (and money) elsewhere.

Most successful business recognizes and plans for customer acquisition (and retention) cost.

For many years, I purchased most of my fuel and groceries from Superstore. Several years ago, a Superstore manager(?) refused to honor an expired fuel coupon for <$10. That was the last time I purchased fuel or anything else from them, it cost them many many $1,000s of my business, I quickly and easily found more cost effective (and responsive) suppliers. I carried the rejected coupon in my wallet for years as a constant reminder.

Nothing is a fickle as a dollar.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
The rule is 'never waste your time negotiating with someone who is not authorized (or empowered) to give you what you want'.
This manager(?) might not have had that authority.

The sale that one seller declines, will usually result in the buyer taking their current (and most probably future) business (and money) elsewhere.

Most successful business recognizes and plans for customer acquisition (and retention) cost.

For many years, I purchased most of my fuel and groceries from Superstore. Several years ago, a Superstore manager(?) refused to honor an expired fuel coupon for <$10. That was the last time I purchased fuel or anything else from them, it cost them many many $1,000s of my business, I quickly and easily found more cost effective (and responsive) suppliers. I carried the rejected coupon in my wallet for years as a constant reminder.

Nothing is a fickle as a dollar.

Good Luck, YMMV.

People like you cannot be pleased. Too bad for them they lost your business. But you'd eventually do the same over the next unreasonable issue you had.

The carrying of the coupon is just sad and shows your commitment to being entitled.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNewton View Post
People like you cannot be pleased. Too bad for them they lost your business. But you'd eventually do the same over the next unreasonable issue you had.

The carrying of the coupon is just sad and shows your commitment to being entitled.
Truth ^^

I wouldn't have been so polite..

Although it makes me wonder how much saliva he's had in his food.. Because you know he tries this at restaurants..
Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Spoken like the managers(?) that lost their employers at least 2 customers willing to spend at least several $1,000s.

I found BETTER quality, price and service elsewhere, and I suspect Paule will also.

The fact is that most buyers can walk away at no cost,
but sellers seldom recover a lost buyer,
all carrying costs continue to accrue,
and a lost sale is lost forever.
Most goods can be reacquired, a LOT easier than new buyers.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Truth ^^

I wouldn't have been so polite..

Although it makes me wonder how much saliva he's had in his food.. Because you know he tries this at restaurants..
No doubt about it.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:59 PM
AO Sponsor

This is one of the reasons I never have "sales"... My price is my price. You either it like and accept it or you don't. I don't price my stuff so high I need to do sales to move product for a period of time.

The only thing I do sometimes is go through my inventory and if I am sitting on something I got stuck with or is a dead part number, I wait until a customer comes in who needs that type of item and offer it to them for a discount because I want to put the money back in the bank. I tell them if they are interested, they can have it for a deal.

Sales just lead to hard feelings, exactly like this. Personally, I think a sale ends when it ends. If I miss it, it is my fault... Not the stores.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:02 PM
Banned

Default And that is why I don't shop there !

You stand in line for I don't know how long . Only to find out that
The advertised sale item , sale starts today , they do not have,
No rain checks . Shaughnessy canadian tire gets all my business .
If they do not have it , they will get it . They want your business .
Old 12-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:

REALLY !!! ... you missed the overarching point here my friend ... it is all about who you can access and how you broach the issue ... I can guarantee you that the sale & the customer would not have been lost if the appropriate access was garnered ... now they have lost both, plus future business from others influenced by this story / issue
Old 12-08-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
As stated. What's your opinions. I'm a little baffled....... There was a sale (15% of high end optics) at a south Calgary store Around ikea..... I went in to pick up a 3000$ spotter and apparently the sale ended yesterday. Whenever I've missed sales. By. A day!!! It's been honoured. A sales a sale?? No?
1-I don't need it now
3-if I buy there at a later date. Is that the type of service/warranty. Etc. I will get?

I just can't believe they wouldn't honour something like that. Maybe I'm the one out to lunch. But other stores have always came through. Btw. Took all steps/manager. Etc. To see if they would honour it. Oh well. 2500$ to spend another day!
You obviously knew that the sale was on, procrastinated and then thought that you should get a special extension for some reason. Where do you draw the line? A day? Two days? A week? A year?

They aren't under any obligation to sell you anything at a price other than is listed. When you asked for the sale price while the item was not on sale, how did you justify it to them?
Old 12-08-2016, 04:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
1-I don't need it now

You missed the sale, that's why there is a date on it. If you don't need it then wait for the next sale. It may have been a sale from the manufacturer to dump old stock. It's not their fault
Old 12-08-2016, 04:20 PM
Banned

I tried to buy a 2017 Corvette last week and they wouldn't honour their 1962 prices. Bastards!!
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
REALLY !!! ... you missed the overarching point here my friend ... it is all about who you can access and how you broach the issue ... I can guarantee you that the sale & the customer would not have been lost if the appropriate access was garnered ... now they have lost both, plus future business from others influenced by this story / issue
You missed the point and the sale date, go to ford and say I missed the factory rebate last month but I want it now. I'd send you away and say I want 200 bux more than the original price. Your not giving them 3000 profit, maybe 200 bux at best, people like that aren't worth the 200 bux worth of trouble. Focus the energy on descent people is what I say.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
1-I don't need it now

Youre honestly baffled about why you didn't get the sale price?
If so then nothing said here will make a difference to your attitude or point of view.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Spoken like the managers(?) that lost their employers at least 2 customers willing to spend at least several $1,000s.

I found BETTER quality, price and service elsewhere, and I suspect Paule will also.

The fact is that most buyers can walk away at no cost,
but sellers seldom recover a lost buyer,
all carrying costs continue to accrue,
and a lost sale is lost forever.
Most goods can be reacquired, a LOT easier than new buyers.
Sounds like they did you a huge favor, you should at least send them a thank you card, and that actually sounds like top notch service sending you somewhere that is better at their own expense.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:20 PM

How long should they honor sale prices after sale ends? Is it just the one day? Or maybe two? Or perhaps three.............
Old 12-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I tried to buy a 2017 Corvette last week and they wouldn't honour their 1962 prices. Bastards!!
Now that is funny
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
You missed the point and the sale date, go to ford and say I missed the factory rebate last month but I want it now. I'd send you away and say I want 200 bux more than the original price. Your not giving them 3000 profit, maybe 200 bux at best, people like that aren't worth the 200 bux worth of trouble. Focus the energy on descent people is what I say.
good point and we all can get stuck on a point ... but to lite it up, why would i buy a ford
Old 12-08-2016, 07:55 PM
Banned

Poor guy didn't get what he wanted oh no butt hurt on don't miss the sale next time
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm sorry you had to endure that offensive behaviour, but I'm glad it triggered your 'flight' response rather than your 'fight' response. I can't imagine the pain from being singled out like that.

I'm ready to write a strongly worded letter to the store owners letting them know, I'm mad as hell and I won't stand for another outdoors person being treated this way.

Who's with me.???????

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-08-2016, 08:41 PM

as the saying goes fire your worst customers.
trump said it best
your fired
Old 12-08-2016, 08:50 PM

Could people please take responsibility for their actions!
Closed Thread