Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2016, 11:05 PM

Default 12 trail cams put to the test!

This was a really great reference to what rail cams to go for! Glad to see some of mine made the top 12 but I was surprised by some others on the list and will have to give them a try.....

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...-models-market
Old 12-08-2016, 05:42 AM

Cabelas has the moultrie 888 on for 129 right now regular 190 something they're great little cams
Old 12-08-2016, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I guess it is always going to be a toss up of what you are willing to spend, which can effect how many you can get out in the field, kinda like the most bang for your buckand what you are willing to loose to a thief

Great thread though.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-08-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Cabelas has the moultrie 888 on for 129 right now regular 190 something they're great little cams
Might try them next.

Bushnell is my go to so I'm not suprised it was highly ranked in the comparison.

The only Spypoint I've tried, a Force10, had very poor nighttime performance so I returned it. I recently pitted a Stealth against my worst Bushnell (security model) and a Fisher showed up for the test. Even though the Fisher spent most of his time in front of the StealthP12 the Bushnell got more and higher quality pics but not bad performance as the Stealth is much cheaper.

Hiding them is tricky. Most stand out and are easily seen, I have one that people regularly walk by without noticing, and the Stealth has been the best at blending into the woodwork on my property.

Next step for me is to start hiding them in trees and stumps, should be easier to secure them in there as well.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Interesting if you read down the article about trail cam megapixels That the numbers are all BS and most cameras only shoot with about 3 megapixels.