Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 AM

As a lot of hunter age, they can become more selective in what they shoot, or if they shoot at all. With nothing to prove, (to themselves or others), we entertain reasons to let an animal walk - like 'It's too far a drag to the truck' or 'It's too late in the day and I don't want to be cleaning up a critter in the dark'. Many of us are OK with only one little tender deer, or no animal at all at the end of the season.

Many won't pull the trigger on something unless it's bigger than what they already have up on their wall. Many just like being out with younger hunters, passing on their knowledge and celebrating in the young person's successes.

It took a very long time for people to accept 'catch & release' fishing, but many of us practice the same thing whilst hunting. Like fly fishing, it can be more about getting out and experiencing the hunt, and less about giving a critter a truck ride home.

At least - that's now how it is for me.

The only person who chides me about coming home empty-handed is my dear wife - because she sees the credit card statements!! But in reality, she knows my real reasons for participating and encourages me to go out and enjoy myself. Dragging home a dead animal is no longer a 'duty' in our household !

So although there might be a lot of new hunters that just have to kill something, (in some cases a LOT of somethings) every year, perhaps their impact on wildlife is being off-set by our rapidly increasing majority of grey-beards, some that choose to just let the critters live another day.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
More people with guns and bush toys. Hunterss? HMMM. maybe some but I think a lot should stay home.

I now I sometimes come across as ......grumpy but the woods/bush/hunter has changed over the years and not for the better. Tat makes me grumpy.
I also know some get tired of hearing about the 'good old days.", but I'll tell you true, I'm uncomfortable leaving my pickup in some places while I walk to hunt.

In the good old days, I've left pickup and horse trailer and associated road gear for 3 or 4 weeks while I packed into the mountains for a look around. Never once though my stuff would grow legs while I was gone.

Today trail cams tree stands etc are stolen regularly. Some places you can be on the lake with your bat and your stuff is being vandalised or stolen at the launch. Used to be, we left tons of gear in a wall tent while we were gone for the day. If someone came into camp when we were there, they were fed and watered and made to feel comfortable. now they gawk around like they are taking inventory for when you leave.

So I think the numbers are up but unfortunately the quality control is down.
I totally agree with you RedFrog, the weekend warriors and wannabes are driving me nuts. They have no idea what they are doing, their not hunting,,driving around with the jacked up diesels, browning firearms stickers on the front and back of their windows, straight brimmed hats pulled down,, oh yeah,, don't forget the white rimmed Oakley sunglasses,, yeah you know who I am talking about,,,,stay the h-ll home or go back to the city,,,Rant over...sorry folks,, but for god's sake,,try a little harder to learn the sport!!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
As a lot of hunter age, they can become more selective in what they shoot, or if they shoot at all. With nothing to prove, (to themselves or others), we entertain reasons to let an animal walk - like 'It's too far a drag to the truck' or 'It's too late in the day and I don't want to be cleaning up a critter in the dark'. Many of us are OK with only one little tender deer, or no animal at all at the end of the season.

Many won't pull the trigger on something unless it's bigger than what they already have up on their wall. Many just like being out with younger hunters, passing on their knowledge and celebrating in the young person's successes.

It took a very long time for people to accept 'catch & release' fishing, but many of us practice the same thing whilst hunting. Like fly fishing, it can be more about getting out and experiencing the hunt, and less about giving a critter a truck ride home.

At least - that's now how it is for me.

The only person who chides me about coming home empty-handed is my dear wife - because she sees the credit card statements!! But in reality, she knows my real reasons for participating and encourages me to go out and enjoy myself. Dragging home a dead animal is no longer a 'duty' in our household !

So although there might be a lot of new hunters that just have to kill something, (in some cases a LOT of somethings) every year, perhaps their impact on wildlife is being off-set by our rapidly increasing majority of grey-beards, some that choose to just let the critters live another day.
You just explained me to a tee !!!
Dodger.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM

My thoughts are we will see a major reduction in moose and elk hunters soon. The enormous wolf and bear population is causing significant reduction in number of animals along with loss of habitat by forestry companies. New hunters will get discouraged and quit.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
The only person who chides me about coming home empty-handed is my dear wife - because she sees the credit card statements!! But in reality, she knows my real reasons for participating and encourages me to go out and enjoy myself. .
C'est moi! My wife calls my hunting "Hiking with a gun". She really doesn't like the idea of me shooting animals and has no desire for wild game meat, but she sees it as relaxation and exercise for me, so supports it. So if I come home empty handed, that's ok. But she can't resist teasing me about it and calling me "mighty hunter".

And sometimes I get nothing because I hunt with my sons and always let them fill their tags first. I'm happier if they get something than if I get anything myself. So hunting is definitely more to me than bringing home meat... though I need to do that occasionally to keep up the hope!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 AM

Default No Social Stigma Anymore

There was a time when Allan Rock was the Minister of Justice that simply saying you owned a firearm was like bragging about having AIDS.

However, hunting is now back in the mainstream, and people who left the sport as young people are now getting back into it. We are also more affluent than our parents' generation, especially those who have moved to Alberta from the Atlantic - Eastern Provinces. Why do you think there are 2 Cabellas Stores in Edmonton?

We even have Canadian Tires stores with impressive gun counters that did not exist 10 years ago. The TV shows have made it acceptable, and there is a new generation who want to remember their roots.

On top of the acceptance in mainstream society, there is big population growth in small town Alberta. Cold Lake is growing, as is Slave Lake, Edson, Hinton, Lloydminster, etc. The outdoor lifestyle is very much accepted out in these small towns, as well as in our larger cities.

Then, we have the demographics where people who are still VERY HEALTHY are able to hunt and fish to age 75 on a regular basis. That's what happens when people quit smoking, watch their weight, get exercise, etc. These people are retired, with money, and time on their hands, and they go outdoors with a Passion.

All the same, Any Province is heaven for hunting opportunities compared to the US. I lived in Texas with 18 million people in the area of Alberta. That is hunting and fishing pressure. I lived in Florida with 14 Million people and it is a lot smaller than Alberta.

In Alberta, we got the jump on setting aside critical habitat 20 years ago through Buck for Wildlife, ACA, Ducks Unlimted, etc. Then there is the Crown Land, and private access is still attainable. We've got it pretty good.

Take the time to spend with a young person who is interested in the Sport. Talk to the guys in the diesel rig rockets about other ways to hunt. Try to be a good example and role model.

We need the numbers for Government to take this group seriously as a political force. That is all that Governments respect. That is what will protect this privilege for the future generations.

Drewski
Old 12-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think we have more people hunting than ever before.
Cat
Absolutely agree.....Cabelas and Bass Pro have brought it to the mainstream in Alberta in my opinion, they did their job wellk.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:09 PM

Young people don't realise how devastating the introduction of the long gun registry was to the shooting sports. The big wars were in memory instead of some interesting tidbit thought about on November 11th. Most thought that confiscation would soon follow and choose to hide or at least fly under the radar when it came to hunting and shooting. Many others hid their guns and gave up hunting altogether.

Many new comers were overwhelmed by the negative propaganda and legal hoops to jump through and never even thought about the shooting sports.

An entire generation was nearly lost but now are reappearing as they are discovering hunting for what it really is. This is where all of the negative experiences are coming from concerning new hunters. They never grew up with it and are literally learning as they go.

Young people now have no problem filling out forums and jumping through hoops so it seems like no big deal. They have never known (or forgotten) how oppressive a liberal regime can be and have no problem forfeiting sensitive information to the Government. (the new proposed federal carbon tax AKA NEP is a prime example).

Anyway, it is great to see the young people back in numbers and especially the ladies that are taking up the sport. New hunters know social media and are our greatest allies in ensuring the shooting sports continue into the next generation.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:21 PM

There has been a definite increase in the amount of hunters out there. Other posters have posted some of the stats.

My biggest issue with it is many of these new hunters have never been an apprentice before going out on their own.

It is what is shutting down access to a great deal of land for the rest of us. Nobody ever taught them about swaths, winter wheat, how cows behave, obtaining permission, building relationships.

It goes so far as they can't tell the difference between a mule deer and a white tail. They don't understand basic rules on our draw systems and wmu's.

It's not easy to put all this stuff into ones head and it takes years of working with your dad, uncle, good friend to learn it all.

The sks warriors hear deer hunting is fun, and end up letting out 40 cows because they don't understand the cows are trained to go to the gate every day at 7:00am, the same gate they left open for just a few minutes as they drove through the field to check things out. - I drive by and have to call the rancher and say "your cows are on the highway". See, this isn't a good thing. I'm the one they associate with the bad news. Good hunters got to act like Jesus for the lousy ones.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
C'est moi! My wife calls my hunting "Hiking with a gun"
In our house it's

"Honey, I'm taking the gun for a hike"
Old 12-08-2016, 09:51 PM

We'll I did some pretty dopey things when I started out too. But I had a lot less hoops to jump through to go hunting. You have to admire the dedication young folks must have now to become 'legal', and to resist the allure of video games and other distractions.

When I started out, there was no course needed to get your FAC, or your hunting license. Heck nobody took professional driving lessons, they just sort of handed them out when you turned 16!

These days, before you go for your first duck hunt, you must:

Take driving lessons to begin a 'graduated license' system.
Take a firearm course to get your PAL.
Get a lockable gun storage system of some sort, and a separate locked container for your ammo.
Take a Hunter's Ed course to get your hunting license.
Take a boating course get your Boating Safety certificate in order to operate your tinny duck boat with the 9.9hp
Register your duck boat
Find a Post Office that carries Migratory Bird Licenses, and then figure out how to fill them in, cause the P.O. clerk sure won't know how!
Find a pimply-faced Canadian tire 'sales associate' to unlock the display case and then walk the ammunition and you down to the check-out counter, because ....?

I don't know if I'd would ever had started hunting if I had to go through the circus todays kids have to!