Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM

Default Do you think hunting/fishing has gotten more popular or less?

Was wondering about this. It seems like generation younger than me (I'm mid 30's) doesn't really to be as eager to be regular hunters or fisherman as the age group I grew up with. Lots more into video/computer games to keep them busy and also seems like they are just more into the urban lifestyle of going out to cafes/restaurants/bars etc instead of going camping in the woods. Lot of guys looking like lumberjacks but pretty sure they've never swung an axe.

But it also seems like all my favorite hunting/fishing/camping spots are getting more and more popular year by year. A buddy of mine usually hunts the same spot up near Sundre and he said that this year was chaos with all the hunters.

So am I just out of touch or whats going on? Do you guys think that we will see an increase in the numbers of hunters/anglers in Alberta over the next 10 years or a decrease? Which way is it trending?
Old 12-07-2016, 03:07 PM

I'm in that demographic. If I run into anyone my age in the bush (rare) they are going to bush parties rather than hunting or fishing.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:09 PM

I think we have more people hunting than ever before.
Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
But maybe its a bubble? It seems like the vast majority of hunters/anglers I come across are older than me and almost none younger. Maybe after the baby boomers start getting too old to get out then the hunting/fishing population starts decreasing rapidly. It would make sense that it is booming right now with my generation + Gen X + Babyboomers still going strong.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:16 PM
Banned

Look at the stats:

2005 - 85,000 resident hunters

http://www.mywildalberta.com/BuyLice...s-May-2016.pdf

2015 - 128,000 resident hunters

http://www.mywildalberta.com/BuyLice...tatistics.aspx

That's a >50% increase in 10 years
Old 12-07-2016, 03:41 PM

The population also increased in that time those stats don't take it into account.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
But maybe its a bubble? It seems like the vast majority of hunters/anglers I come across are older than me and almost none younger. Maybe after the baby boomers start getting too old to get out then the hunting/fishing population starts decreasing rapidly. It would make sense that it is booming right now with my generation + Gen X + Babyboomers still going strong.
Most hunters I meet are younger than I am .
Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Around here I don't believe the numbers have changed a lot. But I think it's about trophie hunting to more people then for the meat nowadays.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Look at the stats:

2005 - 85,000 resident hunters

http://www.mywildalberta.com/BuyLice...s-May-2016.pdf

2015 - 128,000 resident hunters

http://www.mywildalberta.com/BuyLice...tatistics.aspx

That's a >50% increase in 10 years
But couldn't that be the bubble I'm talking about?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Gone Hunting

More people with guns and bush toys. Hunterss? HMMM. maybe some but I think a lot should stay home.

I now I sometimes come across as ......grumpy but the woods/bush/hunter has changed over the years and not for the better. Tat makes me grumpy.
I also know some get tired of hearing about the 'good old days.", but I'll tell you true, I'm uncomfortable leaving my pickup in some places while I walk to hunt.

In the good old days, I've left pickup and horse trailer and associated road gear for 3 or 4 weeks while I packed into the mountains for a look around. Never once though my stuff would grow legs while I was gone.

Today trail cams tree stands etc are stolen regularly. Some places you can be on the lake with your bat and your stuff is being vandalised or stolen at the launch. Used to be, we left tons of gear in a wall tent while we were gone for the day. If someone came into camp when we were there, they were fed and watered and made to feel comfortable. now they gawk around like they are taking inventory for when you leave.

So I think the numbers are up but unfortunately the quality control is down.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Cat
You and me both Cat. lol
Old 12-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
But couldn't that be the bubble I'm talking about?
I don't know about a bubble. Steady increase every year for 10 years, much higher than rate of population growth. More women hunters, way more hipster hunters from the city, much more interest in harvesting your own food. Way more hunting shows on TV?

It did seem that 10 years ago, Alberta was worried about hunters dying out, seems to be doing better than ever.

Still only 3% of Albertans though. How many hunters is too many
Old 12-07-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Cat
Same here and Gawd, I hope so! If their eyesight and hearing is any worse than mine, they shouldn't be running around with guns!
Old 12-07-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Same here and Gawd, I hope so! If their eyesight and hearing is any worse than mine, they shouldn't be running around with guns!

Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 04:56 PM
Banned

Less, much less.

As well as less respect for the land and others who are using it. General malaise of society I guess.

I've offered to take several of my friends children and their friends fishing, hiking, scrambling, climbing, sledding et al, and have had zero takers. Not one. In my youth I jumped at chances like those.

Maybe I'm just a creepy old man?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Boomers, if we use peak birth year about '61-'63, would be those born between '51 to '71 (GenX was '61 to about '71 according to Coupland), are retiring, and have been for about 10yrs.

That would supply many more hunters than 10yrs ago, add in just a few of the children of those boomers taking an interest and we should be seeing increases for at least another 10yrs or more.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Cat
X2
Old 12-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Banned

Redfrog's got it right unfortunately. Lots of wannabe's and killers. I find between 5 and 14 deer shot and left every fall.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
More people with guns and bush toys. Hunterss? HMMM. maybe some but I think a lot should stay home.

I now I sometimes come across as ......grumpy but the woods/bush/hunter has changed over the years and not for the better. Tat makes me grumpy.
I also know some get tired of hearing about the 'good old days.", but I'll tell you true, I'm uncomfortable leaving my pickup in some places while I walk to hunt.

In the good old days, I've left pickup and horse trailer and associated road gear for 3 or 4 weeks while I packed into the mountains for a look around. Never once though my stuff would grow legs while I was gone.

Today trail cams tree stands etc are stolen regularly. Some places you can be on the lake with your bat and your stuff is being vandalised or stolen at the launch. Used to be, we left tons of gear in a wall tent while we were gone for the day. If someone came into camp when we were there, they were fed and watered and made to feel comfortable. now they gawk around like they are taking inventory for when you leave.

X2 !

You got I right, axx hats in Camo hats
Old 12-07-2016, 05:42 PM

I think the number of hunters (in its truest sense) is down.

The number of individuals who want to shoot/kill an animal is way up.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:49 PM

The popularity of shows such as:
Duck Dynasty, Life Below Zero, Alaskan Bush People, & Meateater is making hunting more cool so I think alot of people are giving it a go.......
However, most millenials lack the patience and discipline to keep at it (imo).

Speaking from experience, as I am a new hunter, I always wanted to get into hunting since I was 5 years old and saw wild game being hung and brought home as well as getting super excited when I saw wildlife in the woods.
I think what compelled me to get my licence this year was having more time, and the fact that I wanted to separate myself from other men in my generation who I view as Weak, Lazy, inept & bad role models for their future kids.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:50 PM

The question was if the number of hunters was up or down not how many idjits are in the bush hunting!
Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Cat
I think I can explain this for you Cat....
Old 12-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

yes
Old 12-07-2016, 06:20 PM

I would say the numbers are up. The eco friendly and animals righta stuff has two sides. Naturally teres the ones that want to ban hunting amd meat all together. But theres also a good amount that are starting hunting because they hate the way animals are treated on farms and slaughter houses (doesnt matter if its true or not thats just their reasoning) both tend to be a bit to opionated for me but whatever fishing is where i see the most growth though. Hunting takes a bit to much work but fishing is alot easier to start up i know tons of fisherman my age (18) who go out a fair bit and will take new people as well.

Camping is another ball game. No trace eco camping is massive where im from. Everyone i know was alway doing massive back pack journeys in canada and abroad. Helps when you live 30 min from banff national.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Banned

It's on the increase http://www.straight.com/news/416931/...nd-black-bears

I have clients in Fish & Wildlife. They say that in hunting licenses issued have increased 30% since 2010...and many of them are going to younger people.
It's only the media that would have you believe that fewer people are taking up the ugly sport of hunting.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:03 PM

Increase for sure. Look how many young males moved to Alberta in the past 15 years. Unless the question is hunters in Canada ?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 PM

In Sask the amount of people putting in the draws is way up. The actual population really only grew 20 percent or less nut if i recall the people doubled The rumor is tgat the antis are putting in for the draw and never buy the actual tag. Bambi lives anither year.

I dont know what to say. I think more are in from the generation y group but i think they have short attention spans to hunting/fishing.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 PM

I do not know if the number is less or more,just my observation ,that there is very low number of hunters in the age group between 18 and 32.Not many teams of father and son (even less father and daughter) in this group.I know that from the 7-17 years of age the bond and desire for outdoors is stronger ,then comes the peers pressure (and testosterone)and different goals in life,next young new family,and after fev years when the wife agree that you can go with your friends or father hunting we can see this 35 year old back in the woods
Old 12-07-2016, 11:18 PM

From what I see, the number of road hunters are way up, but it seems that less and less people want to put miles on their boots...