Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Pigeon FOW

My buddy has tags he wants to fill....he was out on pigeon all day.....not 1 bite.....what FOW should we be in?....maybe we should try PP at the drop off? Are walleye in deeper water at this time of year?

Thanks all

Happy
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM

I was just there walleye seem to have disappeared I tried from 8' fow to 15' fow in and around the drop off point at the provincial park area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 08:59 AM

I was at Pigeon yesterday and was lucky enough to fill my class B tags.I was fishing where the point comes out on the south end of Mulhurst bay about 1/2 mile south of boat launch.There is a plywood shack out there and i was fishing about 80 yds northwest of it in 10-12 fow.I was using white jig with red eye tipped with a minnow and caught them on a jawjacker.The kicker here is the only bites happend between 5-7.I have tried catching walleye this year all over the lake by trial and error and this area has been the only spot that has produced with any amount.I hope this info is helpfull to some because its tough trying to get info from others where walleyes are biting.And yes I understand nobody wants to give out their "honey holes" for perch and whites but with walleye there are only so many tags given out and thats it.Best of luck to all out there the rest of the season.And just a note-the lake is easy enough to drive in the areas off the beaten path.It was drifting alot last night so im not sure how it will be now.Mulhurst Bay has the most snow /ruts anywhere on the lake.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:08 PM

We got skunked.....boooo
Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the help tho....

Happy
Old 02-26-2017, 05:00 PM

It is a lot tougher out there in the winter.

Dawn and dusk they will be feeding in the shallows, mid day they will go hide in the depths. That is what I have found anyways. The key is to know where the structure is and then move between spots until you find them. If you just pick a spot and sit there all day hoping the fish will come by more often then not you will get skunked.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
We got skunked.....boooo
I think you should learn how to move around. If you having trouble catching walleye in Pigeon....umm....

I can`t keep them off and they are frickin nuisance when trying to catch whites
Old 02-26-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I think you should learn how to move around. If you having trouble catching walleye in Pigeon....umm....

I can`t keep them off and they are frickin nuisance when trying to catch whites
Then why not pass out some info on good spots where to fish.Im sure there are alot of people like myself that have put in alot of time and drilled a ton of holes without alot of success on Pigeon.And yes I have covered alot of area from the humps by the ice heave to the PP ,the shallows north of Mameo to Mulhurst Bay.And as I stated before giving out info on areas to catch Walleye will not hurt the population in any way.And there are people that have great spots given to them by other fellow anglers who were willing to help out others and maybe one day those people could return the favour.Maybe next year I will hope for a better financial situation where I can afford to buy some good electronics to make locating fish easier.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 PM

The last couple weeks of February can be a little slower for sure. They will turn right on at sunset tho. Just drill a bunch of holes along a drop off and drop down a nice fresh minnow on jig head or spoon or whatever and fish it close to bottom and jump from hole to hole and if you don't catch enuff walleye to be bored with them find a new hobby cuz the lake is still polluted with them. Mid day they are slow.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Then why not pass out some info on good spots where to fish.Im sure there are alot of people like myself that have put in alot of time and drilled a ton of holes without alot of success on Pigeon.And yes I have covered alot of area from the humps by the ice heave to the PP ,the shallows north of Mameo to Mulhurst Bay.And as I stated before giving out info on areas to catch Walleye will not hurt the population in any way.And there are people that have great spots given to them by other fellow anglers who were willing to help out others and maybe one day those people could return the favour.Maybe next year I will hope for a better financial situation where I can afford to buy some good electronics to make locating fish easier.
You can catch walleye at most spots on Pigeon although you will catch more if you can find structure.

It is unwise to share good spots on here even for C&R lakes. Sure it is nice to hand feed everyone this information but don't be surprised when you go to your spot and there are a bunch of other groups on your numbers. Ask people nice enough and they might show you personally but expecting people to post spots on a public forum that thousands view is ridiculous...

As I have already hinted fish deeper mid day, shallower when they are actively feeding. Find the structure at those depths at those times and you will find the fish. Once you find the fish catching them is another story, a flasher or camera makes a huge difference in ones ability to know whether or not a lure is working. If you are fishing blind it is a guessing game. Change lures/spots quickly and hope to get lucky.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
For walleye, there is no magic spot for me - 9 FOW, 13 FOW, 15 FOW, 20 FOW,....etc. All spots with no big structure. Just finding areas that drop to deeper water and always finding walleye. Doesn't seem to matter where. No electronics. Sight fishing looking down...hoping for whites of course. So I don't have any good walleye spots to give away as I don't target them. Spots I do have are for other species. Sorry about your luck.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:19 PM

My buddies are heading back out Friday.....I'm lending him my camera hopefully to locate fish.....

I think he will try by mulhurst.....

I'll keep u updated

Happy
Old 03-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Just go off Mulhurst Launch. find 8 to 12 feet of water and start fishing. You will see all kinds of fish there.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
Just go off Mulhurst Launch. find 8 to 12 feet of water and start fishing. You will see all kinds of fish there.
Are you sure it is not dead?
Old 03-01-2017, 05:44 PM

Yea....now I'm kinda curious.....lol...but yeah I can give that a try.....ynx

Happy
Old 03-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Went to mulhurst.....saw 3 fish all day....didn't catch one....punched 40 holes....lol

Maybe next year I can fill tags......everyone around wasn't having any luck either.....

Happy
Old 03-06-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Went to mulhurst.....saw 3 fish all day....didn't catch one....punched 40 holes....lol

Maybe next year I can fill tags......everyone around wasn't having any luck either.....

Happy
I have never understood some peoples draw towards Mulhurst. Always seen/caught a few fish but never had what I consider a good day there.

Fish it more in the summer then you will have a better idea of where to fish in the winter(not by finding fish but by locating structure, it is easier to find structure in the summer although it isn't that hard to go find shacks, tents and holes in the winter either lol).
Old 03-06-2017, 08:18 PM

Smart...but I don't have a boat.....ice fishing keeps my fly fishing addiction at bay....lol

Happy
Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Smart...but I don't have a boat.....ice fishing keeps my fly fishing addiction at bay....lol

Happy
Go find the fishermen/holes. Go to a spot drill 4-6 holes, look for fish with camera, fish for 20 mins and if you don't see/catch anything pack up and go try a different spot on the lake. Drop offs, humps, gravel/rocky areas, weeds. Find the structure, find the fish.

Too many people maybe yourself included stick to one area thinking drilling more holes might help them catch more fish but unless you stumble across different structure you are just wasting time.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:30 AM

yeah i guess i need to find structure.......walking around a lake trying to find it might be tough.....ohh well maybe next year
Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
yeah i guess i need to find structure.......walking around a lake trying to find it might be tough.....ohh well maybe next year
It is easier than you think, just grab sonar that can read trough the ice. I have done that with my Lawrence elite 4 with ice transducer. Look for deep holes or drop offs. When you locate an interesting spot then you drill one hole and check with camera.
Vic
Old 03-07-2017, 05:09 PM

Now I need a sonar......I got a nice shack.......that's all I need....if the fish come so be it.....if not...OK....as long as I got beer buddies and a chance at fish....that's most important...

Happy
Old 03-07-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Now I need a sonar......I got a nice shack.......that's all I need....if the fish come so be it.....if not...OK....as long as I got beer buddies and a chance at fish....that's most important...

Happy
Glad I don't fish with or near you.
Sounds like you get screw all every day. lol
Old 03-08-2017, 10:17 AM

its how i roll......

Happy
Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Has anyone been out to Pigeon in the last 24hrs or so and can update on travel conditions on the lake, and on the necessity (or lack thereof) for an auger extension? It appears to have been "chilly" up there the last week...

Regards,

HK
Old 03-09-2017, 04:15 PM

I'll be headed out there this weekend as well. I doubt an extension is required but some feedback would be nice. Last I heard, ice was about 30" thick. No need for an extension is thats still the case.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I was at Pigeon yesterday and was lucky enough to fill my class B tags.I was fishing where the point comes out on the south end of Mulhurst bay about 1/2 mile south of boat launch.There is a plywood shack out there and i was fishing about 80 yds northwest of it in 10-12 fow.I was using white jig with red eye tipped with a minnow and caught them on a jawjacker.The kicker here is the only bites happend between 5-7.I have tried catching walleye this year all over the lake by trial and error and this area has been the only spot that has produced with any amount.I hope this info is helpfull to some because its tough trying to get info from others where walleyes are biting.And yes I understand nobody wants to give out their "honey holes" for perch and whites but with walleye there are only so many tags given out and thats it.Best of luck to all out there the rest of the season.And just a note-the lake is easy enough to drive in the areas off the beaten path.It was drifting alot last night so im not sure how it will be now.Mulhurst Bay has the most snow /ruts anywhere on the lake.
thanks for the tip. I tried for 2 days out there at different spots as well .got 1 pike 66 cm and on wed at 5pm right beside that shack, got 1 walleye 50 cm , too big to keep .sucks . buddy and I had 6 bites but could not land anything .
Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 AM

We tried various spots around the east side of pigeon yesterday, looking for walleye. No luck, moved several times. Ice sure was thick, almost needed that extension... Fished from about 2-7pm. Didn't see a fish or have a single bite. Was using minnows on jig heads, didn't have any other rigs to try. Nice warm day though and got to hang out with my son which is why we went.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 AM

I went to pigeon a lot, but still haven't find a rocky bottom. I wish I could find it next year...

Also, please give me a direction if anyone knows the lake. A general area would be all I need, say, for example, Sundance beach has rocky bottom. Thank you in advance!
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 AM

Was out at pp yesterday filled one walleye b class tag in 18fow with a jig and minnow on the jaw jacker