Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Salmon Recipe

So I've recently been having a craving to try something new. I've grown up hating salmon based on my experiences when I was young. As we all know tastes change as you grow older and I really want to like it as it looks delicious. Tonight I bought a small salmon steak for the wife and I to cook up tomorrow.

So what's your favourite Salmon recipe?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:59 PM

Default Wales buffet

Not much of a recipe but this is how I cook mine and it comes out amazing.

1.) Wash salmon under tap an pick off any obvious blemmishes
2.) Lightly salt the skin side. I use large grain sea salt
3.) Heavily pepper the skin side. I use large grain pepper
4.) With about a 1/4 cube of salted butter, add in chopped garlic, about 2 table spoons. I buy the chopped garlic already chopped in a jar, and melt the butter with garlic cooking the garlic for about 30 seconds. Stir it around in the butter so the garlic is evenly around the pan.
5.) Skin side down, medium to high heat, place your salmon in your frying pan. I usually salt and pepper the salmon only on the skin side to start and then salt and pepper the meat side while its in the pan.
6.) The goal here is to brown and crisp the skin, but not burn it. Move your pan around a little so the salmon slides a bit so all the garlic doesn't stick to the skin.
7.) After about 2 minutes, and your skin is crispy but not burnt, flip it. Reduce heat to medium.
8.) The trick is to not overcook your fish. To do this you need to cook it so the top and bottom are cooked but the middle is still almost raw.
9.) The fish will keep cooking after you take it out. So the almost raw middle will cook up to a nice pink.
10.) I usually flip the fish one more time so the skin side is cooking, and meat side is up. Then with a spoon baste the grease onto the meat side of the fish with the garlic.
11.) Take out and pour the grease in the pan over the fish with all the yummy garlic.
12.) Great with sauteed spinach and mashed potatoes

Enjoy
Old 02-28-2017, 06:45 PM

Mix mayonnaise and lots of dark brown sugar together. Smother it over a fillet (skin on) and then throw it on the BBQ (skin down). Close the lid and cook until just done in the center (don't turn it and don't over cook).
It's a super simple way to make a very tasty meal.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM

I should mention I bought a boneless skinless salmon steak
Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 PM

Our favorite is to take a fillet of salmon( 1 to 3 lbs.) and put it skin side down on a parchment lined, rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle salmon with sea salt. Preheat oven to 200F. Place a 9 x 13 inch baking dish half full of boiling water on the bottom rack. Place the salmon on the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes. TURN THE OVEN OFF and let the salmon rest for 20 minutes. If you are using a gas oven, let it rest 20 minutes and if electric oven, 10 minutes. DO NOT PEEK!!

A nice sauce with it is Basil Aioli. Blend together 1 tablespoon of lemon juice; 2 cloves garlic minced; 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil and 1 cup of mayonnaise. Season to taste with more lemon juice and salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve with the salmon.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 PM
Banned

Probably farmed salmon, fry it up and throw it in the dogs' dish.

Otherwise, hot skillet, bit of butter and dill and fry it til brown on both sides. Once you've had the real fresh wild salmon, nothing else compares.

I wouldn't eat the salmon in the stores if you're looking for a good piece of salmon. Take a trip to Newfoundland, catch some fresh and fry it on the shore. Or a good old steelhead caught in a river fresh from the ocean.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Probably farmed salmon, fry it up and throw it in the dogs' dish.

Otherwise, hot skillet, bit of butter and dill and fry it til brown on both sides. Once you've had the real fresh wild salmon, nothing else compares.

I wouldn't eat the salmon in the stores if you're looking for a good piece of salmon. Take a trip to Newfoundland, catch some fresh and fry it on the shore. Or a good old steelhead caught in a river fresh from the ocean.
So far I like this the best. Unfortunately I live in Cold Lake and trips to Newfoundland are not in my near future so I'm stuck with store bought fish.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 AM

This page has lots of salmon recipes. I've used a couple recipes and enjoyed them.

http://honest-food.net/fish-and-seaf...trout-recipes/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 AM

Steak not filet?

I buy about 1 inch thick and skin on. Make sure it smells OK. Rinse with cold water and pat dry. Sprinlle kosher salt on both sides and let set in fridge for a few hours. Place on lightly greased foil. I use butter or coconbot oil or evoo.
Brush top with melted butter and add what season you like. I use salt, fresh ground pepper, grated parmesian and rosemary. Place in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Let set for a few minutes, Skin pulls off. Maybe a squeeze of lemon.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM

Sometimes those who do not like fish is because they have a memory of one that did not taste right. Until to get to know your fish seller do not buy anything inside plastic. Have a sniff! If it has a really stinky fishy smell, it is not going to get better by cooking. Buy as fresh as you can and prepare as soon as you can.

Wild is better than farmed.

Fresh farmed Canadian trout is the best of the farmed stuff.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM

I had a buddy give me some fillets that he caught on west coast.
Washed patted dry,preheat oven to 425,rub both sides with olive oil,line a cookie sheet with tinfoil,place fillet skin side down.Salt and pepper top,bake about 7 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

for a steak put a teaspoon of sugar in the middle of the pan, a teaspoon of soy sauce right in the middle and a half teaspoon of oil on top.Get the pan to heat, it will spread out and drop the steak right on top. Couple minutes a side and enjoy. Weird but excellent recipe. Lived on the North coast and have done it many times.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:44 AM

Life is about balance.

If you previously have hated Salmon-I don't think that is very likely change.

Sooo. If you have already committed to a purchase, I would ask yourself what is your most favorite food/meal in the world?

Then find a way to incorporate the salmon into that type of dish-Same technique and flavours if possible

eg.Maybe a Steak Sandwich with Sauteed Mushrooms topped with Crispy Onion Rings tucked into Garlic Toast with Home Fries.

Bury that small amount of fish into something you love

Last edited by omega50; 03-01-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Default Something way out there to try

-one salmon fillet
-spread a small amount of pizza sauce over the fillet. Just enough to lightly cover it.
-put pepper over it
-sprinkle a combination of cheddar and mozza cheese over it
-bake in oven

-one salmon fillet
-sprinkle brown sugar over it
-spread a small amount of maple syrup over the fillet. Just enough to lightly cover it
bake in oven

Last edited by Maxwell78; 03-01-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: more to add
Old 03-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Gone Fishing

I just came back from 5 days out West fishing for spring salmon. The captain said to try it oven baked with maple syrup.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Life is about balance.

If you previously have hated Salmon-I don't think that is very likely change.

Sooo. If you have already committed to a purchase, I would ask yourself what is your most favorite food/meal in the world?

Then find a way to incorporate the salmon into that type of dish-Same technique and flavours if possible

eg.Maybe a Steak Sandwich with Sauteed Mushrooms topped with Crispy Onion Rings tucked into Garlic Toast with Home Fries.

Bury that small amount of fish into something you love
I used to hate crab as well, tried crab legs last year and now love them
Old 03-01-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I used to hate crab as well, tried crab legs last year and now love them
Here is hoping the same holds true for salmon.

Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I should mention I bought a boneless skinless salmon steak
You bought WHAT??

Missed your timing, and don't actually have a recipe for "boneless skinless salmon steak". But, should you get your mitts on a REAL piece of wild salmon, ask again. After a couple decades plus of fishing them, I have a handful of recipes you'll likely latch onto...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 03-01-2017, 09:40 PM

Ok so it wasn't fresh caught Salmon. Was store bought. Cooked it up tonight. Seasoned with lemon pepper and dill with some butter on top cooked at 350 for 30 mins. Sausage stuffed mushrooms and pasta on the side. Was delicious! I am looking forward to trying fresh caught wild salmon now!