Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Looking for a glass shop

Hey guys I'm making a kitchen table and looking for a piece of glass to go on top. The table is built from old 3x12 timbers. The trouble I am having is that the table is not perfectly square. Less than 3/8 out ..... I really don't want the glass top to hang past the edge of the table. Should I be taking the table to a shop for them to trace or can they go off of measurements?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalzie View Post
Hey guys I'm making a kitchen table and looking for a piece of glass to go on top. The table is built from old 3x12 timbers. The trouble I am having is that the table is not perfectly square. Less than 3/8 out ..... I really don't want the glass top to hang past the edge of the table. Should I be taking the table to a shop for them to trace or can they go off of measurements?

Thanks

Forgot to mention I am Located outside of Lacombe

Old 02-28-2017, 11:20 PM

I use this guy,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0477.jpg (13.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 PM

Get the glass to fit from the narrow end of the table and once in place trim off the 3/8 inch of extra wood. It will square the table and not really be noticeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tabletop.jpg (9.8 KB, 31 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-01-2017, 01:46 AM
Banned

Default Hi skoalzie

I have a glass shop and dont mind helping you with this. Email me your 0hone number and ill call you tomorrow.Mdjburgess@gmail.com Provided you trust yourself with a measuring tape you can just order your glass off square to fit your tabletop perfectly. I can likely get you a good price on the glass as well if you like.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the replies. Will do some calling and go from there.

Red bullets I would do that but the timbers I have are about a hundred years old and if I do that I will lose the look that I am going for.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalzie View Post

Thanks

Any decent glass shop should be able to go off measurements. I'm curious why you don't want the glass hanging over the edge? If it was me, I'd make the glass hang over about 6" minimum on all four sides. The reason, anytime anybody spills a liquid over the edge, its going to necessitate moving the glass top to wipe between the wooden frame and glass top, a bit of a hassle depending on how heavy the glass is and how clumsy you/family/friends/etc. are.

I'd also wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of you work, sounds like its going to be nice.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Any decent glass shop should be able to go off measurements. I'm curious why you don't want the glass hanging over the edge? If it was me, I'd make the glass hang over about 6" minimum on all four sides. The reason, anytime anybody spills a liquid over the edge, its going to necessitate moving the glass top to wipe between the wooden frame and glass top, a bit of a hassle depending on how heavy the glass is and how clumsy you/family/friends/etc. are.

I'd also wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of you work, sounds like its going to be nice.

That's actually a really good idea. Never really thought about hanging it over for that reason. Guess my thing was that the kids will get beat up by the over hang.....

Old 03-01-2017, 02:55 PM

sounds like I would put a thick epoxy on it then it wouldn't matter if its square, probably cheaper than ordering a piece of glass and spill all you want
Old 03-01-2017, 03:59 PM

The West epoxy from lee valley is what I use to finish some tables
Old 03-01-2017, 07:59 PM

I am doing a bunch of coats of shellac on it. Talked with a few people that didn't seem to like the idea of epoxy.... may have to try it sometime in the future. that's why I steered away from it but that could have been poor install or anything else that they didn't like it... who knows..... not sure on the glass cost yet but that's also all it will cost so in my opinion that will still be a cheaper table and better built than one from the store that is glued together..... kind of a fun project to see what it was to what it will be... as far as pictures go I can't figure it out for the life of me so if you want to see pictures send me a pm with a phone number and I can text them if not thanks for all the replies so far!