Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Default Out of Province inspections in Calgary

Need to get my truck inspected for insurance/registration. It's a safe truck and a 2002. Anyone know any good shops that won't hold me hostage for tons of money on repairs it doesn't need?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 05:44 PM
Banned

Expert Automotive just off Edmonton trail at 36 ave is a good shop.Ask for Marco and tell him a "courier" friend told you to go there.I have referred a few people to his shop and never heard anything bad back.I even sent a gal there to get her alternator replaced and she did not get scammed the way women usually do by shops.

FTH
Old 12-08-2016, 05:49 PM

In Manitoba, when taking a vehicle in for a safety, if bought out of your home province, you take the vehicle to a garage to get the safety done. They charge you a set price of, when I did it about 8 years ago was $80.00. They go thru a safety form, checking all that is on the list from brakes to exhaust plus a whole bunch of other things. When finished checking everything, you pay the $80, they give you the form and you have 30 days to fix or replace everything that's needed. This work can be done wherever you choose. Then you take the vehicle and the form to a garage that does safties, they check it over, if everything passes, then the form is marked "passed". then you can register the vehicle. This is pretty much how I remember it. I've done this in Mb & BC.
Very possibly Alberta rules are different.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:18 PM

Big Red, it's similar here but they have you by the short a curlies a bit more. It's $150 + $20 inspection form. They go over your vehicle and look for every single little thing wrong. Then you have 10days to get it all fixed and inspected (must be inspected by the original shop that did the first inspection), or you have to restart the entire process and pay again. Since I'm new to Alberta and don't know any mechanics. It's pretty hard for me to find another shop to fix everything in such a short period.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Expert Automotive just off Edmonton trail at 36 ave is a good shop.Ask for Marco and tell him a "courier" friend told you to go there.I have referred a few people to his shop and never heard anything bad back.I even sent a gal there to get her alternator replaced and she did not get scammed the way women usually do by shops.

FTH
My best friend worked there for many years as their autobody guy.

When my son needed an inspection last month my buddy directed him to Marco.

He was happy with the inspection
Old 12-08-2016, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
My best friend worked there for many years as their autobody guy.

When my son needed an inspection last month my buddy directed him to Marco.

He was happy with the inspection
Thanks for the 2nd rec....it is a good honest shop that does good work.If only they were open on the weekend is my only complaint.

FTH
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 PM

Thanks guys. I'll give them a call. Sucks they don't work weekends... But hey, neither do I so I won't complain to much haha.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:55 AM

Advance Auto repair in the NE (Pegasus Way) was decent, took 2 cars there for an out of province and they were half price of CT and didn't hold me hostage for a few things that were minor.