Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Default I thought Rugatika would be all over this

I may personally not agree with his views either (the teacher) but things seem to be getting out of hand now...

Also, over on the FP is a good read on "Social License" and major infrastructure projects. By good I mean frustrating.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...-wrong-opinion
Old 12-08-2016, 08:51 AM

Welcome to the world of private schools, where administrators are there to please the bill paying parents, not back teachers.

Will love to see that little princess out in the working world.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:04 AM

I had a teacher friend tell me that in order to teach in the Catholic School board you had to be Catholic? Another friend had to get a letter from the local RC priest to apply at the Catholic school board as a teacher.

Up where I am, there are less public schools than catholic schools (although this seems to be changing). For a while, the only option in my town was a catholic school.

Is this true? I thought the Catholic school board was publically funded in Alberta?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I had a teacher friend tell me that in order to teach in the Catholic School board you had to be Catholic? Another friend had to get a letter from the local RC priest to apply at the Catholic school board as a teacher.

Up where I am, there are less public schools than catholic schools (although this seems to be changing). For a while, the only option in my town was a catholic school.

Is this true? I thought the Catholic school board was publically funded in Alberta?
I don't have the official answer but my Son told me the same thing when he applied to the Calgary Catholic board to teach. He's a Christian...............not a Catholic. No jobs for Protestants in the Catholic system. Has there ever been a court challenge?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Banned

Dam

I had to stay after school and write Lines on the chalkboard in detention for chewing gum, or passing notes, or whatever.
I had to clean the chalkboard erasers a few times.
Hell I remember a time I used some cleaning product on the board that I thought would be better/quicker and ending up making a huge mess.
One that made writing on the board a rather gritty task for the teacher. He also commented about the difficulty while looking right at me during class to the snickers and guffaws of my classmates. Aside from being embarrassed turning a few shades or red, and being the butt of a few jokes for a period of time.
That was it.
I'm sure if I said I was " triggered" back then I would have "triggered " a whooping on my behind.
That reminds me.
I don't think I ever finished the 5000 lines.
Of I shall not clean the chalkboard with Windex.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:

Yes, a practising Catholic. Newfoundland got rid of the Catholic school system, and opted for non-denominational in the 90's.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Why do you think there are Catholic schools? To promote and preserve the Catholic faith. Teachers have to teach classes in religion, they take their classes to school masses, etc. Now not ALL teachers in the system are Catholic, just like not all students in the system are Catholic, but the priority is to hire Catholic teachers.

Now as to the public funding, it's in the Constitution, at least so far as Alberta Saskatchewan, and Ontario are concerned. Alberta and Saskatchewan's right was included in the 1905 Acts that created them as provinces.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
To promote and preserve the Catholic faith.
Combining reality and religion under the same roof does more I believe to get people to question their actual faith - than enhance it. I went to catholic schools from K-12, by the time high school rolled around, I was atheist - alot of us were. School knew it, didn't care, more students equates to more money.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 AM

So he got in trouble for stating an opinion. Then he makes amends and somehow that blows up?? if i where teaching there id be to busy making sure i didnt say anything "triggering" to do my job. I really feel for this guy as the situation hes in is rickety if one of the students gets his name going on social media hes pretty well screwed. The kicker is that you cant even argue for him. of you do all the sudden you would be a sexist that thinks women should not have choice over their body. At least in the students eyes. In the eyes of rhe school your potentially a 30000$ or moree loss is someone drops out.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:37 AM

We live in a world where we can express anything but our opinion....
Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Combining reality and religion under the same roof does more I believe to get people to question their actual faith - than enhance it. I went to catholic schools from K-12, by the time high school rolled around, I was atheist - alot of us were. School knew it, didn't care, more students equates to more money.
So you don't see religion as reality. Others would obviously disagree.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
So he got in trouble for stating an opinion. Then he makes amends and somehow that blows up?? if i where teaching there id be to busy making sure i didnt say anything "triggering" to do my job. I really feel for this guy as the situation hes in is rickety if one of the students gets his name going on social media hes pretty well screwed. The kicker is that you cant even argue for him. of you do all the sudden you would be a sexist that thinks women should not have choice over their body. At least in the students eyes. In the eyes of rhe school your potentially a 30000$ or moree loss is someone drops out.
It is a real tough spot for him and I feel bad. Sad reality is that it was just a dumb teen who managed to put a big damper on this guys life. How did what he say make her feel unsafe? Was he going to prevent her from getting an abortion for the pregnancy she didn't have?

I always wonder how many people out there have opinions that are counter to prevailing PC'ism but just keep their mouths shut because they don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with the backlash.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM

Stories like this are why Trump won the election.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Stories like this are why Trump won the election.
I think that's absolutely true. One of the reasons anyway.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 AM

I'm pretty confident Catholics subscribe to the Christian faith..... But then again, so do Protestants and Lutherans etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I don't have the official answer but my Son told me the same thing when he applied to the Calgary Catholic board to teach. He's a Christian...............not a Catholic. No jobs for Protestants in the Catholic system. Has there ever been a court challenge?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
No I don't see religion as a reality... Maybe I should reword - combining science and religion under the same roof creates issues. There is conflict with religious teachers having to teach the reality of some sciences - there has to be. One big thing i appreciated about the Catholic school system, lots of the teachers (brothers and nuns) were still open minded and willing to allow students to explore ideals against Catholic faith.

And when the only answer a priest could give is "Just have faith my son", bit of a turn off.

Back on topic, one student having the power over a teacher is ridiculous. I still have to sit and wonder why it is people pick teaching as a profession. Too much risk over reward.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Theory is, we have separation of church and state.

Grizz
Old 12-08-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Why do you think there are Catholic schools? To promote and preserve the Catholic faith. Teachers have to teach classes in religion, they take their classes to school masses, etc. Now not ALL teachers in the system are Catholic, just like not all students in the system are Catholic, but the priority is to hire Catholic teachers.

Now as to the public funding, it's in the Constitution, at least so far as Alberta Saskatchewan, and Ontario are concerned. Alberta and Saskatchewan's right was included in the 1905 Acts that created them as provinces.
Maybe it is time we amended the constitution. Things appear to have changed over the last 111 years as a quick google query indicates that only 24.3% of Albertans are Catholic (2011 stats).

Personally, I believe that the instruction of faith belongs in the home and church but ultimately the current policy does not directly affect me or my family.

Anyhoo...this discussion might be going into dangerous territory so probably best to reserve any further comment. Don't want to risk the ban hammer!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
I always wonder how many people out there have opinions that are counter to prevailing PC'ism but just keep their mouths shut because they don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with the backlash.
My grade twelve social teacher told us that as long as by the emd of the term if we have no clue who he would vote for than he did a good job by the schools standards. Not sure how she sleeps at night knowing she sewered a family i know i couldnt if it was me. I think a lot of people shy away because of the backlash as seen here its a lot more tha people just not liking you. Kind of like how im going to make a turkey after seeing the last few posts
Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Maybe it is time we amended the constitution. Things appear to have changed over the last 111 years as a quick google query indicates that only 24.3% of Albertans are Catholic (2011 stats).

Personally, I believe that the instruction of faith belongs in the home and church but ultimately the current policy does not directly affect me or my family.

Anyhoo...this discussion might be going into dangerous territory so probably best to reserve any further comment. Don't want to risk the ban hammer!
I think EVERYONE should have the right to create school boards and send their kids to the schools of their choice, as long as the schools teach basic Alberta curriculum and don't foster hate or terrorists. I'm no fan of the "one STATE school".

Interestingly, lots of non-Catholic parents want to get their kids into Catholic schools. Why? Because morality and right and wrong are still openly discussed there. Not like in public schools, or the private school in question in this thread.

and you are right. Treading a dangerous forum line! LOL I'll stop.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Interestingly, lots of non-Catholic parents want to get their kids into Catholic schools. Why? Because morality and right and wrong are still openly discussed there. Not like in public schools, or the private school in question in this thread.
LOL, yes it was discussed - only made us more curious. Oh the fun years of Catholic high school, us good little boys and girls
Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Public schools for everyone, only private schools should be the ones for the wild cards. There shouldn't be an option for the wealthy or religious. School is about building a community while preparing the next generation.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:00 AM

Good posts Oki, I agree.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:11 AM

The teacher should have immediately contracted some ptsd.
Play the system dude.. And come back with a doctors note prescribing stress leave for an indefinite period of time.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Welcome to the world of private schools, where administrators are there to please the bill paying parents, not back teachers.

Will love to see that little princess out in the working world.
As opposed to Public Schools that protect incompetent and ignorant teachers and ignore parents' concerns.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Gone Hunting

As a gun owner. I'm offended by the term 'Triggered".

My first wife taught in Ontario in the Catholic school system. They only hired Catholics.

Check out the practices of other religious/racist schools.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default Things sure have changed !

In my day ....the teach would be asking the popular girl
If she was thinking of having one before she showed any more .
But I went to Catholic Parochial school , things were a lot less
strict than the puritanical institutions of today .
Also here we see a little to much education in the wrong hands !

And yes I still do have the ruler scars on my knuckles !
Old 12-08-2016, 06:56 PM

Default Oko....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
As opposed to Public Schools that protect incompetent and ignorant teachers and ignore parents' concerns.
I think you just 'triggered' Fargin.......

You should offer him an apology and get him a therapy dog.

PTSD
Pathetic teacher stress disorder
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-09-2016, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Public schools for everyone, only private schools should be the ones for the wild cards. There shouldn't be an option for the wealthy or religious. School is about building a community while preparing the next generation.
Public schools are the only reliable way to indoctrinate new generations, as seen by the incident that started this thread.