Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

Default Good news for all of you that have been feeling a little oppressive this Xmas season.

Like the melody, but can't help but feel like an overly agressive misogynistic date rape supporter every time you hum the tune "Baby it's Cold Outside"? Well I have the answer to all your problems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b09e21702fa356

If you’ve ever listened to the classic Christmas song “Baby, It’s Cold Outside,” then you know it’s a really screwed up tune.

A couple from Minneapolis, Minnesota, found the ditty so unnerving that they decided to revamp it for a modern audience, reworking the lyrics to “emphasize the importance of consent,” according to CNN.

The original 1944 lyrics by Frank Loesser include problematic lines like, “What’s in this drink?” crooned by a woman and “What’s the sense in hurtin’ my pride?” by the man.

The duo, singer-songwriters Lydia Liza and Josiah Lemanski, told CNN that they felt that the original song was “aggressive and inappropriate,” arguing that the listener never finds out what happens to the woman in the song.

“You never figure out if she gets to go home. You never figure out if there was something in her drink. It just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth,” said Liza.

The couple’s revised lyrics are adorably consensual, opening with “I really can’t stay” sung by Liza and “Baby, I’m fine with that” sung by Lemanski.

Most notably, when Liza sings, “I ought to say no, no, no,” Lemanksi responds with “You reserve the right to say no.”

Luckily, the original tune doesn't bother me in the least and I never thought it was "screwed up" at all. So I'll keep singing the original lyrics. I think Bing and Doris would drink to that.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 PM

Default SJW insantity

Its just a beautiful fun old song. I think the SJW types need to get a life. Its amazing we human beings were even able to have a working society before they came along.

Makes me crazy this kinda of stuff.

Last edited by markg; 12-07-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZm0FekSWjQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Its just a beautiful fun old song. I think the SJW types need to get a life. Its amazing we human beings were even able to have a working society before they came along.

Makes me crazy this kinda of stuff.
I have to agree, my Lord what's next - of waitaminit! Au revoir Gopher just posted it!
Cat
Old 12-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Banned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6bbuBubZ1yE

These guys used children

For shame
Old 12-07-2016, 03:56 PM

I just listened to this song, not sure if I ever heard it before. I feel bad for anybody that has to take a song from the 1940's and interpret it as sick. If a person has to try and make something bad out of everything done in fun, they need to be shipped off to one of those special places for special people (oh wait, Canada seems to be one of those places). I didn't read anything bad into that song, but then I also get a kick out of the shaving cream song, and heaven forbid you laugh at a baby falling out of a window!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:59 PM

gin
Old 12-07-2016, 06:02 PM

Its a lot like taking the use of a certain word out of huck finn or changing o canada. These things are period peices regardless of weather or not they offend you and as such we should keep them how they where to perserve that. Its a leap i know but this kind of thinking leads to taking offending material out of social classes in school. Weird part is my mother (who im pretty sure is a women) loves this song. Shes always singing it so it must not be that bad.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95h2NrGGkUc
Old 12-07-2016, 07:16 PM

I just saw an interview where university professor Jordan Peterson said he's ashamed to say it but he feels university educations actually do more harm than good now. This is more proof he's correct.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Banned

Wow, some people out there need to get a life. Perhaps they are concentrating on such irrelevant subjects in order to distract themselves from the problems in their own lives.