Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-17-2020, 02:52 PM

Default Deposit Down - New Rifle for the New Year

Well after 10 years of dreaming and half a dozen discussion posts here, I finally pulled the trigger on a rifle build that I feel I will be truly happy with with.

Ive given it lots of thoughts. I always liked the 60 degree actions and when Curtis was making one I was intrigued.

Lots of delays with getting those to market, especially in left hand. Anyhow I choose to go with a Terminus Apollo Lite. Joel Russo provided great customer service via facebook messenger and even text!

For the stock, I find all factory guns have combs too low. The ag privateer I ordered is a nice light trim stock with a high comb that drops away from your face with recoil. Melvin Forbes of Nula described this feature in his stock on one of the youtube videos. Ever since he said it, I was looking for a stock like his. This privateer or a very similar model is being used in the fieldcraft, weatherby rifles, and even some bergara rifles as far as I know.

For the bottom metal, not many options existed for good quality removalable flush magazine systems for rem 700 actions. The bdls are trim, flush and very nice but lack the convenience of a removable magazine keeping all the shells organized. There is a nice apa rtg unit that uses the 5 round ai mags that are single stack and a little sloppy in the fit. Curtis customs does make a nice semi flush 3rd mag. I choose to go with the newly released m5 inlet hawkins precision hunter that uses a nice semi flush 4round semi staggered magazine.

Barrel is a benchmark remington sporter at 21" which I feel will fit the stock nicely as it is shorter in the forend. 21" is because I wanted something unique as well as something more than 1/2" shorter than my 22" long action barreled rifles so this rifle will finish about 1.5" shorter overall. For the weight of this rifle, 6.75lbs or so, I dont feel I need a longer or heavier barrel for its intended usage. Benchmark was an easy pick. On social media, lots of the top guys in prs are running benchmark barrels and barbour creek builds rifles with their no 5 contour and gaurentee 1/2 moa at 1000 yards with targets to prove it using factory hornady match ammo. 5inch groups at 1000 gauranteed. Gunsmith and dealer obviously vouch for benchmark as well.

Trigger was an easy pick. Triggertech special. The action is also timed with this trigger and bughole groups are shown so that speaks for itself if you trust it. I doubt it makes a difference for my ability but Ill take the Canadian built part over others here.

I looked for a local gunsmith but not much info here. Chou bros had a great reputation but no longer building. Maybe Epps but other than that I talked with Gary and he mentioned Andy Voight, from Bc. I have spoken with Andy and gotten a 2nd referral from Precision optics in BC as well. If anyone has had any work done by Andy or seen his work feel free to message me as I am excited.

Due to the weight of the rifle for lower recoil and the increasing popularity of factory ammo I choose to go 6.5cm over the 7mm08.

Scope Im thinking a vx5hd 2-10x40 as a starting point but think maybe a trimmer scope will be more suitable.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2020, 03:21 PM

Nice rig! As far gunsmiths in Onatrio, Jason Spencer in Ottawa does excellent work and Milcun Precision in Peterborough is a top shelf accuracy outfit as well.
Cat
Old 12-17-2020, 03:33 PM

That’s a beautiful set up! I particularly love that stock. Thank you for sharing!
Old 12-17-2020, 05:31 PM

its going to be nice, especially if you go 7mm-08!
Old 12-17-2020, 05:49 PM

Congrats on a gorgeous rifle. Really nice. Crazy nice stock!
Old 12-17-2020, 06:06 PM
Banned

Nice build!
I’m doing my first full custom as well
Gary is a great guy, sure knows his stuff

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots

Did you consider the prc at all for your build?
Old 12-17-2020, 06:25 PM

Check out trijicon Tr20 3-9x40 for a trimmer scope. Multiple reticle options for whatever suits you. No knobs on that model though, not sure what you are looking for.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:27 PM

It’s a rabbit hole. Be careful. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 12-17-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Nice rig! As far gunsmiths in Onatrio, Jason Spencer in Ottawa does excellent work and Milcun Precision in Peterborough is a top shelf accuracy outfit as well.
Cat
Appreciate the names. Both are very well versed from my quick reading. I spent evenings looking for information for local guys and came up with nothing!

For this rifle, I felt the prc was too much to enjoy comfortably. For our short range hunting here I feel the 6.5cm is enough gun in a shorter handier package and an excellent starting point at a recoil level I like compared to one I can tolerate.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It’s a rabbit hole. Be careful. :-)
It was hard enough to justify the costs when this is basically a top quality tikka which costs 5x as much and most likely will shoot just the same. Yikes!
Old 12-18-2020, 01:16 PM

Congrats,

Go for it, and enjoy !!
Old 12-19-2020, 09:45 AM

That’s going to be an amazing rig. I was/am considering turning my t3 into a 7saum. Using a 20-21” barrel, but I really dislike when rifles have a normal length stock and a barrel 2-4” shorter than normal. The Privateer seems great for that, but not available for t3’s. Did you come across any other compact stock options?

Can’t wait to see it finished.
Old 12-19-2020, 10:51 AM

Congrats on the new build. You've been waiting a while. It's like designing a new baby lol. I can't wait to see the final results!
Old 12-19-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
It was hard enough to justify the costs when this is basically a top quality tikka which costs 5x as much and most likely will shoot just the same. Yikes!
Ain't this the truth! It's easy to spend cubic money to get incremental improvements in accuracy- which will most likely be wasted on a hunting rig anyway, since field shooting is nothing like bench shooting.

However, quality is apparent and appreciated every time you handle the rifle.
Getting exactly what you want is the lure.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:25 PM

Stopped in at the local shop seeing if any powder or bullets were in stock but no luck.

They did have a sako finnlight 2 with 20" barrel though in 6.5cm I believe. Nice to handle a rifle with a similar barrel length!

I was looking at scopes, and wow some these new scopes are monsters. I guess they are to scale with straigh tapered 26" barrels and big magazines and larger stocks.

Ill need something more trim or with a bdc reticle maybe.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Stopped in at the local shop seeing if any powder or bullets were in stock but no luck.

They did have a sako finnlight 2 with 20" barrel though in 6.5cm I believe. Nice to handle a rifle with a similar barrel length!

I was looking at scopes, and wow some these new scopes are monsters. I guess they are to scale with straigh tapered 26" barrels and big magazines and larger stocks.

Ill need something more trim or with a bdc reticle maybe.
Check out March scopes
Finally available in Canada
Old 01-16-2021, 09:51 AM

Well the barrel is in already from Benchmark and the trigger was in a week ago. 1 month for a barrel seems quick to me!

Waiting on the action, stock and bottom metal still.

Picked up some H4350, 200 pieces of Lapua brass with large primer pockets and some Federal 210M primers. For bullets I did purchase some Sierra tipped Gamekings 130gr to start with. The price is right on them for a high BC Hunting/Target bullet combo. $50/100.

These are supposed to be one of the toughest cup and core bullets out there and should work great on deer. Also going to have either the 130grain accubond or a barnes available as well for a deeper penetrating option.

For scopes, I really am considering a dangerous game style scope for compactness and the ranges we shoot for hunting normally. Should have lots of brightness at 2-4 power with a 24mm objective in the bush. The field of view is massive on these scopes as is the forgiving eye boxes and many now have illumination as well however the z6 1.7-10x42 is also calling my name. The march 1.5-15 looks really interesting!

I also found a smith that is willing to take on the work now. Initially I had planned to do this rifle in last spring but Covid happened. At the time he was too busy as well doing lots of shotgun work. He was recommended by the Chou Bros as a phenomenal smith so I feel like I'm in good hands and he is within a 2 hour drive so once all the parts are here, I'm going to make the trip to meet him and drop the parts off.

Really looking forward to this rifle and currently don't have any regrets with the 6.5cm choice considering all these other threads that have been up recently. Popularity, short action, barrel life, recoil, balance of muzzle velocity and downrange performance and our small game caliber restriction here under .270 for coyotes made it an easy choice.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:29 PM

Well I got the action, stock and bottom metal. Still missing the flush mag but have the 5rd aics for the time being.

Very happy with the Hawkins hunter dbm. The mags fit snug and they don’t fall out. Even with the release pushed.

The smoothness of the action is above anything factory and the triggertech special really is everything people say they are.

I am shipping this out on Monday after the long weekend to Dennis Lair of Go Ballistic Gunsmithing.

He said it would take 2 weeks to complete and it would be in the mail back to me.

Only slight complaint is the Ag stock doesn’t have the perfect inlet for the ejection port. A little filing and paint required. Mcmillian does for this action but they don’t have anything comparable with ergonomics. The m5 inlet could also be about 2% better right where the triggergaurd widens to the magwell. Overall I like the comb height and how the heel rises just like melvins design. It also has a narrow forend of 1.5” when most are 1.75” wide. It is very stiff and light. Bolt handle inlet is also a little wider than it needs to be but handle is centered in the inlet. Anyhow though. As far as I know there is nothing else like it on the market. Maybe in left hand a manners eh3 has a high comb.

Initially I was thinking a 21” barrel but I’m also considering 20” because the stock is 2” shorter in the forend compared to most stocks and I think it will just be that much handier for our close range hunting but think I might like the 21” better for balance once it is scoped.

I am happy with the selection thus far. If I wanted more speed. I would have gone with a 6.5prc and a 22 ” barrel most likely.

Finished weight will be around 6.25lbs plus scope and ammo.

Now that I’ve done this one I’m going to start collecting parts for a heavier .223!

Good thing one of my sons is also left eye dominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2021, 03:30 PM

Looking good so far!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:05 PM

Well it’s built. Didn’t take that long either. Think I pulled the trigger only about 5 months ago! But I do believe my first chatter about a custom rifle must have been 10-15 years ago on this forum. A long time coming but wouldn’t change a thing! Super happy with the action and in left hand they have only been available for a year maybe?

Bare rifle weighs 6.25lbs, very happy with that.

Specs
Terminus Apollo lite
20” 6.5cm benchmark rem sporter contour (.670?)
Triggertech special
Ag composites privateer desert night
Hawkins hunter m5 bottom metal
Going to use arc m10 rings. Very slick.

I have the Hawkins hunter magazine but mine rattles a lot. This 5rd accurate mag is much better. Going to watch for the terminus semi flush magazine to be released. Will most likely sell the Hawkins hunter magazine unfortunately and possibly swap out the trigger guard for a terminus branded one which is the similar to or if not the same as the Apa rtg.

I love the barrel length for handiness and it’s a perfect barrel contour too I think with a lot of my other rifles being .560 which is more a feather weight contour.

This stock, barrel length, and overall length basically match the cz 452 American right one so basically it feels like a 3/4 sized rifle compared to ones with longer forends and barrels.

Very happy with the feel of this stock. The forend has a sharp 90 degree edge and flat area on the top. It’s great for grabbing hold and giving grip considering there is no texture on the stock. As chuck posted in the recoil thread. This stock also has a high negative comb which fits me well and I like that.

Dennis at Go Ballistic Gunsmithing put this one together. Two week turnaround as promised and a week shipping each way. Can’t beat that really.

His bedding job was top notch.

Plan to load some ammo and shoot it on Sunday!

Scope might be one of the new 2.5-8x36 vx3HD once I have a chance to look through them!

Or if anyone is selling a kahles cl 2-7 I’m interested!

Looking forward to the rest of my years using this rifle while hunting.

IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1284.jpg
Attachment 1

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1283.jpg (168.1 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:08 PM

Congrats , beautiful rifle
Old 05-07-2021, 06:47 AM
Banned

Congrats on your rifle
Looks great
Old 05-07-2021, 09:06 PM

Dennis does top notch work! He put my 26 Nosler together. Highly recommend him.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:09 PM

Beautiful build! Enjoy it, and please post hunts you do with the rifle.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:22 PM

looks great! Can't wait to see the groupings!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:04 AM

As being Left handed I really like your approach to a sensible gun using quality components . A flush mount mag or flush bottom metal would complete the deal . Nice work well done.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:13 AM

As being Left handed I really like your approach to a sensible gun using quality components . A flush mount mag or flush bottom metal would complete the deal . Nice work well done.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:31 AM

Congrats on your choice of components for the build.
Seems you were open-minded in your product choices and didn't get sucked into websites that promote products like 6mmBR with their daily graphs and articles.
I've never heard of your choice stock manufacturer, looks promising.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3500 View Post

Yes I have the Hawkins hunter mag but mine is really loose. Might need a circle of electrical tape around the base of it.

The standard accurate mag goes in tightly. I’m going to watch for the Curtis or terminus 3rd mag as another option to try better suited for hunting.

All else fails. Maybe I use the accurate mag for now but worst case scenario with the m5 inlet. I think I can swap it out with the Hawkins m5 inlet hinged floorplate. Lots of options available to try.