Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Default New rifle help - Tikkas and Sako

Hello all!

Looking to get a new rifle for the season in .308. my wife has given me a rather liberal budget so I am aiming high.

I have narrowed in on a few rifles and was hoping for feedback:
Tikka t3x laminate stainless in .308. cheapest of the bunch at $1200ish. Harder to find in .308 but it exists
Tikka t3x arctic. Love it but it weight a hefty 10ibs unloaded. $2700ish
Sako 85 hunter, laminate stainless. Also in .308 but hard to find. Beautiful gun. Have not found one for sale in Calgary so would need to order without shouldering. $2k.

Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:00 PM

I have a couple Sako 85 like them I like the wood stocks myself

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Personally I would choose a standard Tikka T3x, drop it into a Bell & Carlson aftermarket stock (readily available at prophet River), and use the remaining $$ to upgrade your optics.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
personally i would choose a standard tikka t3x, drop it into a bell & carlson aftermarket stock (readily available at prophet river), and use the remaining $$ to upgrade your optics.
this!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM

Don’t waste your money on a sako you can build something custom for that amount. If you want a tikka there good but they still have there factory limitations and are not the lightning bolt of Zeus people claim them to be. Seems like this type of thread comes up all the time pick your budget find the rifles that are in your price point go to the store try them all on and see what one fits ya the best. Keep in mind that a rifle that guarantees some round count in x Moa isn’t worth the paper that it’s printed on unless it comes with a target to prove it it’s just marketing. Don’t forget a scope and rings in your budget and try not to buy a 2500$ rifle and then slap a 150$ Cabela’s scope on it it’s like having a 200$ car with 2500$ stereo in it.

Please don’t beat me up to much tikka and sako fanboys.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 PM

I know if I was in your shoes, I would buy a Sako Grizzly in .308 and be happy. P&D in Edmonton usually has a couple in stock and they are an excellent rifle for $2,400.00
Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM

I can't see why anyone would pay over $2000 for a Tikka of any kind. I would go with the base T-3x , and put a B&C stock on it.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:53 PM

Don’t waste your money on a T3x Arctic. Ugliest rifle Tikka makes. Follow elk11’s recommendation. I just wish Bell & Carlson made a LH Tikka stock.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:30 PM

I have never been brand loyal my self. Definitely agree with making sure you have good glass on it.

Also, make sure it fits your body and what ever action you like best. It sure is nice having a smooth action that doesn't jiggle when reloading.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Banned

I'm not much of a T3 series fan. I had one and it just wasn't for me. And yet, some people think they are magic. Selling them, used, for $800 and more, and I can walk in to a shop that still has the "inferior to the X" T3 and pick one up, brand new for $650.

My honest opinion, for me, is I would pick up a new Remington 700 ADL and drop it in to a stock, add some bottom metal and go. If your stuck on the Tikka/Sako, like the others have said, buy a base line T3x and put a new stock on it.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I'm not much of a T3 series fan. I had one and it just wasn't for me. And yet, some people think they are magic. Selling them, used, for $800 and more, and I can walk in to a shop that still has the "inferior to the X" T3 and pick one up, brand new for $650.

Where is that?
Old 05-25-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:

My honest opinion, for me, is I would pick up a new Remington 700 ADL and drop it in to a stock, add some bottom metal and go. If your stuck on the Tikka/Sako, like the others have said, buy a base line T3x and put a new stock on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Where is that?
Getting harder (but not impossible) to find. Bashaw Sports had a fire sale on the older models a while back. I saw one at my local Canadian Tire last weekend for $629. If it hadn't been a 223 I might have been tempted.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Personally I would choose a standard Tikka T3x, drop it into a Bell & Carlson aftermarket stock (readily available at prophet River), and use the remaining $$ to upgrade your optics.
Do they still use the cheap plastic clip in the tikkas?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I'm not much of a T3 series fan. I had one and it just wasn't for me. And yet, some people think they are magic.

Selling them, used, for $800 and more, and I can walk in to a shop that still has the "inferior to the X" T3 and pick one up, brand new for $650.

Not in the parameters of the OP; at least not in Canada.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-25-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Not in the last ten years you haven't; at least not in Canada.
I haven't what? Seen them that cheap? I sure have. Lone Wolf just posted that he has as well, at his local Canadian Tire. Check out the Shawnessy Canadian Tire, they have brand new Tikka T3's, not the X, for under $700. Cheapest one I saw was a 30-06 I think, and it was right around the $650 mark.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 AM

Another option is the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro. The stock design is cool. Aluminum chassis in a traditional style stock. It runs around $1500.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Another option is the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro.

aka the Tikka T3x for a $500 premium. Wont shoot a damn bit better. I'd go to a T3x stainless for $1,000.00 Just for the resale factor.

Not a slag on Sakos hoagie. I like them well enough once you hit the $2000 mark but at that price point I'd spend a bit more for a Cooper.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I haven't what? Seen them that cheap? I sure have. Lone Wolf just posted that he has as well, at his local Canadian Tire. Check out the Shawnessy Canadian Tire, they have brand new Tikka T3's, not the X, for under $700. Cheapest one I saw was a 30-06 I think, and it was right around the $650 mark.
Let me open up with an apology to Scottmisfits.....

Well knock me over with a feather......I called the Shawnessy Canadian Tire not 5 minutes ago, I spoke to "Sylvan", and they have three Tikka T3's in 300 Win Mag with the black synthetic stock and blue barrel, no steel sights....$629 + tax.....

For anything in stainless, the price jumps to more than $1,000.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 AM

I’ve had 4 different Tikka’s. Currently have 2 left in a 338 Federal and 9.3X 62. They all shot toonie size cloverleafs at 200 meters. They’re nothing special other than being affordable and consistently accurate out of the box.
If you go Remington 700, Prophet River has ADL’s for $499 and $599.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Getting harder (but not impossible) to find. Bashaw Sports had a fire sale on the older models a while back. I saw one at my local Canadian Tire last weekend for $629. If it hadn't been a 223 I might have been tempted.

Good deal. At that price it's a no brainer vs the cheapo brands.

I saw Bashaws deals but not at that pricing I don't believe. Doesn't matter either way. Anything under 8 is a good price for a decent gun. T3x is a step up imo.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:39 AM

My understanding is that major practical difference between the Sako and the Tikka is that the Tikka has one length of action for all calibers and the Sako has different length action for long and short calibers.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
My understanding is that major practical difference between the Sako and the Tikka is that the Tikka has one length of action for all calibers and the Sako has different length action for long and short calibers.
and tikkas have a two position safety... Sako have a two position with a seperate bolt unlock button. this is not present on the tikka.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 PM

I just took a look at the Sako Grizzly that SakoShooter recommended.
Now Thats a NICE Rifle, I keep going back to the pictures of it, Oh Oh
I have had two Sako's now for 30-40 years and had no issues at all, both great shooters.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Buy an older T3...keep the stock...I really like mine and it is as accurate a rifle out of the box you will EVER need in a hunting rifle. Drop a good part of your budget on a GOOD scope (you don't need a super dupper laser, wind zapper) $600-$1000 is more then enough. Then if you don't like the rifle or want to upgrade strip off the scope and go buy something else.

My CHEAP T3 with the Tupperware stock and (gasp) blue steel with an cheap Burris scope, rings steel at 700yds. and keeps the groups to an inch or less at a hundred yards if I do my part.

Buy a rifle that fits...much more important then the label on the box.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 PM

The T3 LS or Sako LS models, and of the 2, go Sako. But that's just me. Both would be great shooters.

Other option would be a Sako A7 RTP as already mentioned.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Good deal. At that price it's a no brainer vs the cheapo brands.

I saw Bashaws deals but not at that pricing I don't believe. Doesn't matter either way. Anything under 8 is a good price for a decent gun. T3x is a step up imo.

T3s with the synthetic stocks at Bashaw sold out a few weeks back. Slim pickings now and nothing under $800
Old 05-25-2019, 03:06 PM

This...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=Cooper
Old 05-25-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
T3s with the synthetic stocks at Bashaw sold out a few weeks back. Slim pickings now and nothing under $800

I was watching in Feb and March. Ended up going one province over for a T3x blued at 849 which I changed to T3x stainless the next day at 929. Good enough deal for me.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

Solid deal for someone wanting a short action.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Heck of a deal !!