Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Default New rifle help - Tikkas and Sako

Hello all!

Looking to get a new rifle for the season in .308. my wife has given me a rather liberal budget so I am aiming high.

I have narrowed in on a few rifles and was hoping for feedback:
Tikka t3x laminate stainless in .308. cheapest of the bunch at $1200ish. Harder to find in .308 but it exists
Tikka t3x arctic. Love it but it weight a hefty 10ibs unloaded. $2700ish
Sako 85 hunter, laminate stainless. Also in .308 but hard to find. Beautiful gun. Have not found one for sale in Calgary so would need to order without shouldering. $2k.

Thoughts?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:00 PM

I have a couple Sako 85 like them I like the wood stocks myself

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Personally I would choose a standard Tikka T3x, drop it into a Bell & Carlson aftermarket stock (readily available at prophet River), and use the remaining $$ to upgrade your optics.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
personally i would choose a standard tikka t3x, drop it into a bell & carlson aftermarket stock (readily available at prophet river), and use the remaining $$ to upgrade your optics.
this!!!
Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 PM

Don’t waste your money on a sako you can build something custom for that amount. If you want a tikka there good but they still have there factory limitations and are not the lightning bolt of Zeus people claim them to be. Seems like this type of thread comes up all the time pick your budget find the rifles that are in your price point go to the store try them all on and see what one fits ya the best. Keep in mind that a rifle that guarantees some round count in x Moa isn’t worth the paper that it’s printed on unless it comes with a target to prove it it’s just marketing. Don’t forget a scope and rings in your budget and try not to buy a 2500$ rifle and then slap a 150$ Cabela’s scope on it it’s like having a 200$ car with 2500$ stereo in it.

Please don’t beat me up to much tikka and sako fanboys.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:49 PM

I know if I was in your shoes, I would buy a Sako Grizzly in .308 and be happy. P&D in Edmonton usually has a couple in stock and they are an excellent rifle for $2,400.00
Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM

I can't see why anyone would pay over $2000 for a Tikka of any kind. I would go with the base T-3x , and put a B&C stock on it.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Personally I would choose a standard Tikka T3x, drop it into a Bell & Carlson aftermarket stock (readily available at prophet River), and use the remaining $$ to upgrade your optics.
Do they still use the cheap plastic clip in the tikkas?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I think you may be able to buy the rifle and stock through Prophet River. Put a Swaro Z3 42mm scope on there and that's a rig!

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 AM

There's a brand new Seiko barvarian 270 win on this site 1900 bucks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 08:46 AM

My main hunting rifle is a Tikka T3 s/s chambered in 270win, rugged, reliable, great trigger, not too heavy for all the mountain hunting I do, accurate. I've been using it the past 12 seasons, strictly mountain hunting and it's held up very well. Unless you want to for aesthetic reasons there is no reason to change out the stock for a heavier Bell and Carlson. Pick the rifle that fits you best, you'll be more comfortable shooting it and as result you'll shoot it better.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:48 AM

If you really want a Sako stainless/laminate(Greywolf) and you are patient/not in a big hurry(hunting season is still 4 months away)keep an eye on the classifieds here,gunnutz,Town Post etc....they come up for sale gently used quite regularly for well under $2k
Old 05-26-2019, 03:12 PM

Default We got some employee breaks at WSS

First thing I did after qualifying for employee discount was order a T3 Hunter in 30-06. I had owned and shot only a .270 up until then but something about the smooth action and very reasonable price drew me to the T3. Was not disappointed with trigger or the accuracy right out of the box was good for 3/8 on a good day and 1/2 inch when I was my usual self. Hunted it a lot for 4-5 years and had the reloads just dialed in for it when rumors of being laid off at WSS were circulating so to get my last 4-5 deals done before officially hearing about my job position I ordered my Leupold Sako and Beretta staff discounts January 2nd.
My Sako choice was the same 30-06 but in A7 stainless format. Put the same Leupold VX3 Long range 30 mm 4.5 -14 X40 on it as the T3 was wearing.
First time out was disappointed as the T3 hand loads didn't shoot nearly as well in the A7. Took a month of playing with the load to get the same results in the A7 before before selling the T3.
Although I was happy with t3 the additional features on the A7 (3 way safety and locking magazine) were worth it to me. Is it a Bavarian no not even close but mid range between the T3 and high end Sakos is a great little compromise at a reasonable price point in the A7.

p.s. for all the flack the plastic mags in tikka take I have never seen one fail in 5 years at WSS. Salesman (Terry) who was the rep at the time invited all of us to try to break one of those cheap plastic mags by jumping on it. No effect at all although 5-6 of us tried. Just going by memory I think the T3 mag was all plastic whereas the A7 mag had metal reinforcement along the wear edges but I would have to go look to be sure.

Last edited by wwbirds; 05-26-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
First thing I did after qualifying for employee discount was order a T3 Hunter in 30-06. I had owned and shot only a .270 up until then but something about the smooth action and very reasonable price drew me to the T3. Was not disappointed with trigger or the accuracy right out of the box was good for 3/8 on a good day and 1/2 inch when I was my usual self. Hunted it a lot for 4-5 years and had the reloads just dialed in for it when rumors of being laid off at WSS were circulating so to get my last 4-5 deals done before officially hearing about my job position I ordered my Leupold Sako and Beretta staff discounts January 2nd.
My Sako choice was the same 30-06 but in A7 stainless format. Put the same Leupold VX3 Long range 30 mm 4.5 -14 X40 on it as the T3 was wearing.
First time out was disappointed as the T3 hand loads didn't shoot nearly as well in the A7. Took a month of playing with the load to get the same results in the A7 before before selling the T3.
Although I was happy with t3 the additional features on the A7 (3 way safety and locking magazine) were worth it to me. Is it a Bavarian no not even close but mid range between the T3 and high end Sakos is a great little compromise at a reasonable price point in the A7.

p.s. for all the flack the plastic mags in tikka take I have never seen one fail in 5 years at WSS. Salesman (Terry) who was the rep at the time invited all of us to try to break one of those cheap plastic mags by jumping on it. No effect at all although 5-6 of us tried. Just going by memory I think the T3 mag was all plastic whereas the A7 mag had metal reinforcement along the wear edges but I would have to go look to be sure.
Good post right there ^^^
Old 05-27-2019, 06:37 PM

Default Sako A7 Roughtech Pro

I recently purchased a Sako, i must say im in love i bought it in a 6.5 Creedmoor. At 500 yards im shooting half inch groups steady, using Hornady Match 140g. Im looking into putting a muzzle break on her too but not to sure
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohemmaway View Post
I recently purchased a Sako, i must say im in love i bought it in a 6.5 Creedmoor. At 500 yards im shooting half inch groups steady, using Hornady Match 140g. Im looking into putting a muzzle break on her too but not to sure
1/2" groups at 500 yards? Please post some of those 1/2" groups from 500 yards.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Yup, ok bud!
If ya wanna blow smoke, Please step outside and have a dart..........

Cuz if you’re doing what ya claim you should be heading to Bisley, and camp Perry. There’s guys investing many times what your factory rifle cost on full on custom guns that can’t get groups like you claim.......

FWIW a 500yd, 2.5” group is, 1/2moa give or take. 1” is roughly 0.20moa, so you’ve got a rifle putting rounds into about 0.1 MOA, cripes that’s likely a world record......

Sounds Like a guy we had here that was deadly on pie plates, offhand at 500 yds.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-27-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Yup, ok bud!
If ya wanna blow smoke, Please step outside and have a dart..........

Cuz if you’re doing what ya claim you should be heading to Bisley, and camp Perry. There’s guys investing many times what your factory rifle cost on full on custom guns that can’t get groups like you claim.......

FWIW a 500yd, 2.5” group is, 1/2moa give or take. 1” is roughly 0.20moa, so you’ve got a rifle putting rounds into about 0.1 MOA, cripes that’s likely a world record......

Sounds Like a guy we had here that was deadly on pie plates, offhand at 500 yds.
thats what i ment MOA lol im pretty to to this my bad.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
thats what i ment MOA lol im pretty to to this my bad.
I consistently shoot .5 MOA groups at 500y with my stock rifle and factory ammo ,sorry I’m new to this. 🙄😂😝
Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Tikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrunner View Post
Hello all!

Looking to get a new rifle for the season in .308. my wife has given me a rather liberal budget so I am aiming high.

Tikka t3x laminate stainless in .308. cheapest of the bunch at $1200ish. Harder to find in .308 but it exists
Sako 85 hunter, laminate stainless. Also in .308 but hard to find. Beautiful gun. Have not found one for sale in Calgary so would need to order without shouldering. $2k.

Thoughts?
The tikka stainless,in .308 is all the rifle you will ever need.Ring a gong at 400m all day.Drop all NA big game.Precision made. and bobbies your uncle.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Bashaw Sports has got a sako 85 laminate in .308 in stock. $1,769 is a great price!
Old 06-15-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrunner View Post
Hello all!

Thoughts?
Wow. Let me know what that's like. Never been in that place!! And, unfortunately, I would have to agree with some of the other comments - save it and go for a nice, custom Savage / Ruger of some kind. Especially .308 . . .
Old 06-15-2019, 11:22 PM

I’ve owned both Tikka’s and Sako’s ...back when Sako’s were 75 models. My Sako’s were much better all around in terms of fit, finish, features ...and accuracy. Last deer harvested with a 308 Sako showed me only his head...