Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 09:46 AM

I never go that slow, between 1 to 1.4 mph seems to work fine.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Thanks bob. I’ve been mainly using the bottom bouncer and going (painfully) slow enough to hop it along. I’ve been picking up the speed in part wondering if it’s not tempting enough that slow, and to cover more ground and try to find them.
Yet I think your right, and the slow show is the way to go.
I’m too quick to give up on locations often. “There not here and probably over there”, goes through my head after about 20 mins of no action.
When it comes to walleye I am a die hard bouncer guy as well and when the bite is off it is hard as hell going really slow. After chasing walleye for quite a few decades I have found that sometime the slow game is the only game. Another thing that I have found is that some of the fish are always biting, finding them and the right presentation is all part of the fun!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
When it comes to walleye I am a die hard bouncer guy as well and when the bite is off it is hard as hell going really slow. After chasing walleye for quite a few decades I have found that sometime the slow game is the only game. Another thing that I have found is that some of the fish are always biting, finding them and the right presentation is all part of the fun!

Agreed. Nothing puts your skills and knowledge to the test other than new waters or a change in what worked before. I got some slow death rigs ready and a bucket full of hopes. Still gathering all the patients I can find while I’m waiting for the wind to die down a bit.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:42 PM

I used to use Slow Death rigs. They work well. Stopped using them as the fish almost always swallowed them really deep. Be careful with them. BEL
Old 08-19-2018, 10:45 PM

Well, I finally found some today. Got 2 eyes one 5 lbs one 6. I found them further off shore and deeper. I found them between 20 and 30 feet, at the shallow end of a steep(ish) drop off.
I got them both on a plain walleye rig, minnow, bottom Bouncing. Doing .8 MPh, and 1km from shore around a cabbage patch on top of a small-mid sized hump. North end.
Both takes were pretty weak, and from morning till dinner time, 2 trips, I seen over a half dozen boats, but only 3 fish caught. So I wasn’t the only one finding it slow. Today was also the first day, after 5 days here that you could actually barely see a cloud and a bit of blue in the sky, so the Armageddon smoke sky might have played a part. The sunlight has certainly been shifted to the red and looks like the moon in the sky.
Hoping the clearing keeps up.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:49 AM

will be there tomorrow. Having problems with electric motor so will only be fishing from shore
Old 10-21-2018, 08:00 PM

Anyone been out to Newell recently? Wondering if the bite is decent.
I fished mcgregor on sept 25 and it was great. Lots of action all day with a few big ones mixed in. Then I went back out this past Thursday and it had shut right off. After the last cold snap water temp was down 13 degrees.
Deciding whether I go give Newell one last day this week or put my boat away.......
Old 10-22-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker2 View Post
I fished mcgregor on sept 25 and it was great. Lots of action all day with a few big ones mixed in. Then I went back out this past Thursday and it had shut right off. After the last cold snap water temp was down 13 degrees.
Deciding whether I go give Newell one last day this week or put my boat away.......
was at newell on Friday, it slooooowed way down from two weeks ago when we could not keep them off our line.on Friday the largest pike was 42 inches and 21 lbs, largest walleye was 5 lbs , no where near the numbers we caught 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
was at newell on Friday, it slooooowed way down from two weeks ago when we could not keep them off our line.on Friday the largest pike was 42 inches and 21 lbs, largest walleye was 5 lbs , no where near the numbers we caught 2 weeks ago.

I was out Thursday till sunday, what boat were you in?

Was slow for us every day as well, I am talking hours between fish.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post

I was out on Saturday and it was very slow for us as well.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:

blue crestliner , black Silverado
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
blue crestliner , black Silverado
White and Blue Crestliner?
Old 10-24-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
White and Blue Crestliner?
the bottom color on mine that is under the water line is brown . seen a dark colored lund , a small aluminum tiller boat , and a metal flake boat with one guy in it. the 2 guys in the lund caught 2 pike all day of fishing , the aluminum boat caught zero .
Old 10-24-2018, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker2 View Post
Not sure if the walleye move the same down south in the lakes and reservoirs but in northern Alberta (Pigeon north) I have fished a few lakes in the fall. When the water cools the walleye will be on the sharpest drops into the main basin.

Not to good if you are in a catch/release only lake as the fish will be spread out from 15 or so feet all the way down the drop to around 40. Fish down to about 20-25 feet are all right but any deeper and you will have to leave them or try different times of day when they come shallower. Live releasing walleye caught deeper than 25ft can be really tough on them and most won't survive.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
the bottom color on mine that is under the water line is brown . seen a dark colored lund , a small aluminum tiller boat , and a metal flake boat with one guy in it. the 2 guys in the lund caught 2 pike all day of fishing , the aluminum boat caught zero .
Hmm I dont recall seeing it. We were in a blue Polarcraft tiller. I guess we did better then most then!
Old 10-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Hmm I dont recall seeing it. We were in a blue Polarcraft tiller. I guess we did better then most then!
having trouble up loading pictures it says fail , these are the only pictures that will load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rock guard 040.jpg (74.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg rock guard 039.jpg (68.5 KB, 82 views)