Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Can you get me a full load Raptor, preferably with the Hennessey package, for under $ 30K??
Absolutely!! I have 3 on my lot!!! after the $30k down would you like to finance the rest?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
Absolutely!! I have 3 on my lot!!! after the $30k down would you like to finance the rest?

Ummmm....lemme get back to you.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
This is not a thread I would normally post in. But here's my take.
First mini diesel is marketing, pull as much as you want with a 1/2 ton, you still need to stop it. You pay more up front diesel is more expensive and maintenance is more expensive.

2nd all truck sales with fancy trim packages is marketing. If you want a nice riding vehicle, that's got a fancy trim package and gets good fuel mileage. You don't want a truck.

But hey this is coming from a guy who has a rubber floor and manual windows in his truck and drives a 08 focus for 50,000km a year.
My vehicles are tools.
Each to their own.
Lifes to short to die in a focus. Its anecdotal of course but I drive 150km every day and see accidents all the time. And whenever theres a fatality it usually involves a little car.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Don't know about 2019, but it is available on the 2018 SLT because that is what he bought. The ST I posted IS a 2017, and an ST but like I said it was only an example I pulled off the first Dodge dealer site I pulled up. Look around and you can find lots of 2018s for 33K all in. Chevy was just offering a 24% off MSRP deal. If you don't like Dodge or Chev, by all means pay double for the Ford of your choosing.

As far as 2017 or 18 being SUPER OUTDATED, you got to quit buying the car makers' hype. Just how different do you think one pickup is over the next in a matter of a couple of years? Same way Apple gets you to buy the newest Iphone. I am driving a 1996 long box supercab and I can tell you, there isn't a hell pf a lot of difference between it and the ones made today. Still hauls my butt from point A to point B and gets the job done every hunting and fishing season.

My point was NOT about which is the better truck it is about whether the great gas mileage on the new 1/2 ton Diesels will ever pay for the high cost of the trucks they are in.
Lol.. hit a nerve did I?

I guess you missed the point about the outdated part.. they completely changed the truck in 2019. As in very few parts are shared. Although ram does a mid-generation refresh which is usually a drivetrain update. But resale or perceived value of a 2018 ram is not good. No body wants them, because of the exact reason you said.. everyone wants latest and greatest and usually better financing. But for a longterm owner it's a "great deal".

And aside from having four wheels, nothing on today's trucks compared to a 90s truck is the same. I'm not knocking your choices, hell I drive an early 2000s car as a daily. I prefer simple, easy to work on vehicles. But I'm not kidding myself in thinking nothing has changed from generation to generation.

And your right.. no it won't pay for itself. But if someone is in the market anyways, why not look at the diesel. But there really isn't that much of an advantage over the gasser. Mpg is all in how you drive.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:49 AM

Buy new if you got the cash or the financing makes sense, but still think people are nuts to jump at buying brand new on a major update model year or brand new power-train. Wait a year or two at least to let em get the bugs figured out. Especially for this kinda cash for a half-ton/soccer-mom mobile.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Lifes to short to die in a focus. Its anecdotal of course but I drive 150km every day and see accidents all the time. And whenever theres a fatality it usually involves a little car.
Actually, the majority of the vehicles that I used to see go off of the road. or get involved in collisions, while driving highway 63 on a regular basis were four wheel drive vehicles. For some reason , people forget that even though they provide better traction on snow and ice, they don't stop any quicker, and pickups having such a front heavy weight distribution, they don't handle as well in panic situations. I much prefer driving my all wheel drive mid size SUV than my pickup on icy roads.

As far as purchasing a new pickup to save money on fuel, you can buy a lot of fuel for the expense of buying a new pickup. My pickup will be 14 years old when I plan on replacing it, so for me it's more a matter of starting again with a new vehicle with warranty, rather than starting to spend a lot of money to repair an aging vehicle, which is not going to be as reliable. Of course fuel mileage will be a factor in choosing a new vehicle, but reliability is even more important to me. I won't pay for the highest trim level, as I can't justify spending even $60,000 on a pickup.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:05 AM

Just got in my inbox a notice from SCT Performance, they have a programmer for that little 3.5 that will boost it another 149 hp and 139 torque. Now you can pull that 42 ft 5th wheel and pass all those diesels.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Just got in my inbox a notice from SCT Performance, they have a programmer for that little 3.5 that will boost it another 149 hp and 139 torque. Now you can pull that 42 ft 5th wheel and pass all those diesels.
Right up until something lets go, from all of the extra stress on the components.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I don't think so....

X4 claims 55 hp and 90 ft lbs unless they have recently released a new grenade

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-26-2018, 08:50 PM

Stopping not a problem. Turn up trailer brakes. And the new f350 is now a lot lighter too. Long as your but is comfy in it is the first thing. Remover there is an ass for every seat. Just find one that fits yours. Then it’s all over but the crying.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I don't think so....

X4 claims 55 hp and 90 ft lbs unless they have recently released a new grenade
Checked the site again and shows the 149/139 upgrade for a 2018 3.5 F150.
Can't imagine the stress on that little thumper if you pull with it. Probably good enough for burning off some rubber on a Friday night.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Checked the site again and shows the 149/139 upgrade for a 2018 3.5 F150.
Can't imagine the stress on that little thumper if you pull with it. Probably good enough for burning off some rubber on a Friday night.
That’s cute, half sized engine making pint size power. With the extra 139 tq it would almost make as much power as 3 cylinders on a man sized truck.

Tell me they come factory with a pink tappet cover.

I drive the 2.8 and 3.0 Toyota diesels at work. They’re pathetic. Anyone who thinks we got short changed by not getting them on this side of the pond hasn’t spent much time driving them. The mileage isn’t that great, the towing ability is a joke, they’re slow and they’re not cheap. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around wanting a little diesel but if I didn’t need to tow much the only way I would want one is if they got better mileage and were comparably priced to their petrol equivalent. It would be a non starter if they had similar mileage as the real trucks and were a similar price.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Stopping not a problem. Turn up trailer brakes. And the new f350 is now a lot lighter too. Long as your but is comfy in it is the first thing. Remover there is an ass for every seat. Just find one that fits yours. Then it’s all over but the crying.

There's no crying, we aren't buying Dodge

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-27-2018, 09:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Yup, super desirable, that's why its almost 3 years old but brand new, still on the lot!
Now that's funny and truthful

Great savings on a old truck

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Sticker on the loaner they gave me---maybe because has sunroof and all the fixins
There are several levels of Lariat....indeed for 75K window sticker you were probably in a 502A
Alot of crap....err stuff in that package.

I find it amusing when guys are in shock over window sticker prices....I guess they havent bought a new vehicle in a long time.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
There are several levels of Lariat....indeed for 75K window sticker you were probably in a 502A

I find it amusing when guys are in shock over window sticker prices....I guess they havent bought a new vehicle in a long time.
My 2016 Lariat crewcab was $66,000 3 years ago, every option available other than adaptive cruise. $20g more for the baby diesel is crazy, but when the big sales come out again, which seem to every 2-3 months they will sell out completely.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have not. I was told by the Lloydminster Dodge mechanic to avoid it like the plague, something like $30,000 to replace if it goes bang. Mind you that was a few years ago.
There were a LOT of diesels on the hoists that day. Likely the year they came out. Thay have got to be better now you would think.
x2. The Eco-Diesel motor was originally developed and manufactured by Fiat as part of a GM/Fiat partnership, and was intended for European market Cadillac CTSs. When GM and Fiat had a falling out, Fiat mothballed all of these engines, and upon acquiring Chrysler from Daimler for chump change, they started putting them in the 1500 Rams and calling them "EcoDiesel". As far as I'm concerned, Fiat = Junk, my opinion, but the mechanics I know would agree. Cam gears are notorious for failing, and as mentioned, the only fix is a new engine. And worst of all, Fiat will not engineer a fix for the problem, as they tend to fail post warranty. The only Rams I would even consider would be the Hemi or Cummins powered trucks as the hardware predates Fiat.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post

Yah I'm still driving a tacoma that I picked up in 2005. $75K for a truck just seems like a waste to me. I'm sure a lot of guys that spend that kind of $$$ end up financing so the final the final out of pocket price would be even worse.