Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Prediction... She will hear the name "babbling brook" when she talks too much 1589 times during her school years. LOL

actually, it's a nice name. And no one will get the spelling wrong.
She already gets babbling brook and shes only 2.5...lol

Lots of people think its Brooke.

atleast you can't confuse her name with any other (besides brooklynn) I get kristin, crystal, kristi...the list goes on
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Default names

For my son's name, we picked a name that fit with my wifes heritage (Irish) and had a good meaning. His name means "Strong warrior". We picked it while driving to Jasper for new years. She had the baby book out and was reading off names as we drove. oddly enough, we never could decide on a girls name. His middle name is my first name which continues a tradition in my family that all first born males have their fathers name as their middle name. My dad has it, I have it and now my son has it.

For our second.......well when my wife was pregnant, my son was going through a major Star Wars phase (courtesy of me). we would watch one of the movies every couple of days. Anyways, as soon as we told him he was going to have a little brother or sister, he immediately said "Princess Leia" and never wavered on calling the growing baby in his mommy's tummy that for the entire pregnancy.

My wife thought that she was having a boy, so we had a boys name all picked out, and never really settled on a girls name. So, needless to say, when our second was born and she was a she, we were shocked. it took us about twenty minutes to decide on a name, we were throwing names back and forth and couldn't agree on one. finally, we said, what about "Leia" and "Princess Leia" it was. It sure fits her now. The Princess part anyways!

and to top it off we bought our son a gift from his new sister to him......a darth vader outfit complete with lightsaber. Instant bonding between him and his sister! He wore that outfit for a year!

so that's how we came up with our kids names.

and for Okotokian..I am a teacher and I threw out ALOT of my wifes suggestions for names!!!!

Also, my parents were teachers and I found out that I was named after "a cute little FNMI* boy in her grade one class" in 1975. and my middle name, well I already explained that.

I wonder what ever happened to that Gongshow?**

*FNMI = First Nations Metis Inuit
**No, his name wasn't Gongshow. I was only kidding.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Mrs Roadkill and I are in teh midst of roasting one another over this whole issue. We've opted to not know what's coming until it pops out in July, so we're working on both boys' and girls' names.

Problem is, they have to work in two languages. I had my heart set on 'Piper' for a girl until the missus reminded me that it's reminiscent, in Québécois, of what we boys all like girls to do, but hate the thought of our daughters doing. It includes kneeling. And I think that's as much as I can really say...

Trust me, this is proving to be harder than doing our taxes.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
My daughters middle name is Aurora.

Perhaps the most beautiful name I have ever heard. It fitted her and still does perfectly.

Jamie

BTW.. Tree, from what your wife says, sounds like "STINK WEED" would be more appropriate considering the hockey gear and all...

Jamie
It is a great name, I agree!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Mrs Roadkill and I are in teh midst of roasting one another over this whole issue. We've opted to not know what's coming until it pops out in July, so we're working on both boys' and girls' names.

Problem is, they have to work in two languages. I had my heart set on 'Piper' for a girl until the missus reminded me that it's reminiscent, in Québécois, of what we boys all like girls to do, but hate the thought of our daughters doing. It includes kneeling. And I think that's as much as I can really say...

Trust me, this is proving to be harder than doing our taxes.
That's too bad about the meaning of "Piper". I, too, love that name. However, hubby said no more kids so I have a cute little Brittany dog named Piper

My daughter's middle name is Jacey. It's a combination of my two deceased brothers' initials, J and C, with a spelling like my name (Tracey)
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 PM

When the Mrs was preggo with baby # 1 we did not know what we were having and she was working as a TA in a grade 2 class and she had a little girl in that class named Daysha that would not leave her side, we both fell in love with the name and if it was going to be a boy "Ethan" was the Captain of the Oilers at the time and "Ethan" was my wife's favorite Survivor that season. So when the little guy arrived he got the handle Ethan Elwin named after his pop. Well when #2 was in the oven we found out "she" would be our Daysha Nicole named after her aunt and # 3 was also a surprise "another girl" she goes by the name Skyla Grace, we both loved her first name and Grace is named after her Great Great Grandmother who is 95 and still going strong.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

If it`s a boy name him Testiclise,if it`s a girl,Falopia.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 AM

edited, deleted.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM

The wife named the first one (Priya Violet), we battled a little but hey; she did most of the work!!lol

I got to name our second, Her name is (Juno Sunshine), I found out quickly people always say "like the movie" nooo.

I named her after the code name of the Canadian landing site of the invasion of the coast of Normandy on D-Day. Nothing more Canadian IMO!!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

both my kids got first names from me and middle names from thier mom. she had some wierd ideas on the go and i had to veto. i have explained this to them and they thank me for it. anyway, my boy is eric. you have seen him here. at the time an eric was at the top of pretty well all the major sports in north america. hoping for the next pro athlete i thought the name might help. as it turns out, hes becoming a heck of a hunter, football and baseball player. he never did take to hockey as a young feller though. i promised myself that i wouldnt let my own intense competetive nature spill over, so i never pushed hard in anything. he wishes now that i had MADE him play hockey....but whaddya do? my daughter is danica. there were no famous danicas then, i just thought it sounded nice. my family agreed, and now i have a cousin with the same name.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
The wife named the first one (Priya Violet), we battled a little but hey; she did most of the work!!lol

I got to name our second, Her name is (Juno Sunshine), I found out quickly people always say "like the movie" nooo.

I named her after the code name of the Canadian landing site of the invasion of the coast of Normandy on D-Day. Nothing more Canadian IMO!!
Well, Juno was also a mostly Canadian movie.... LOL