Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Aeration question

Aeration question
I have about 3 acres 21 feet lake/ pond with rainbows. My aeration system was set on timer and due to low temp and me not being there holes over diffusers froze solid for last month.
My question is:
Will pumping air under frozen ice keep fish alive or I might expect winter kill.

Any experience, suggestions.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 02-26-2014, 04:47 PM

i would think it would be fine, as eventually the air will find an excape route. Maybe even drill some holes by your diffusers?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Would have to venture on thin ice to do so.
I think I will go there over weekend and set aeration timer for steady action until ice melts.

I am just curious if pumping air under solid sheet of ice is delivering enough oxygen for fish to survive.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 PM

If you have aerated all summer and up to a month ago,I am sure your trout will be fine. Make sure to gradually reintroduce the aeration system or you will have a wreck.Once it is up running full time it will chew a hole in the ice in no time.
If you are really concerned,get a oxygen meter and test the water,it might give you some peace of mind.
Best of luck
NW
Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM

What do you mean by "have a wreck"?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 PM

A wreck means you kill your fish.What happens is when you start the air system up,providing it's more powerful than a windmill,the air coming though the diffusers acts as a air lift as it rises to the surface.The deeper areas have very low oxygen levels and when the diffusers starting working,it brings the oxygen depleted water to the surface and the good oxygen rich water goes down.Essentially it turns the lake/pond over,and the area's that the fish normally habituate are now a dead zone or devoid of oxygen and your WRECK has started.
By gradually introducing and increasing the amount of aeration, you allow the water to mix slowly and prevent the dead zones.This leads to happy fish and happy fish owners!!! Once the ice has a opened area above the diffusers,ammonia will begin to dissipate,and to be real honest in heavily stocked lakes,I worry more about the ammonia buildup than the lack of oxygen,especially if the water has been aerated over the summer and fall.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 PM

That makes sense, I would think if it was off for a short time it wouldn't matter much. Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 06:55 AM

I have both a windmill and electric compressor. The electric runs on a timer. On during the day and off at night. During cold weather it completely freezes over. Been doing it this way for close to 10 years with no issues.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 02-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Mine is all frozen over as well... and my ice is getting very thick on the pond!
But Ive seen fish on the camera, so should be good.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Thanks everybody for replays.

I will leave it as it is.
Aeration compressor with 2 - 5 groups of diffusers in different ends was set all winter with 1 hour on and 4 hours off, ice will open eventually as weather warms up.
I've started aeration in fall 2012 and system is working since then.
It was set 2 hours on and 4 hours off last winter and kept ice open.

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW