Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Sibbald creek and Jumpingpound creek

hey, i like to try this place, its nearby too. Just wonderin' if its good in the beaver ponds or near the powderface trail bridge, and if the jumpingpound creek has good visibility, good for fishing. How should i target whitefish, cutties or brookies. i fly fish and spin, what flies work best, and spinners should work too,no?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 PM

I was there on sunday (JP and Sibbald), the levels were still high and the river quite murky. It has gone down since. but with the evening rain the creek tends get murky later on the day.
There was hardly any rises, just a few smallish brookies coming up for emergers and following small leeches. A few small caddis and small stoneflies hatching but not much activity. They brookies were hugging the banks, and hanging around at the small inlets.
(if you find a landing net in your trip near powderface let me know!!)
Old 06-24-2014, 04:29 PM

okay..... so no one's been catching bows or cutties in the JP watershed recently?(pretty sure there are no whitefishes was just checking) what size were the brookies? they're are gonna dominate this watershed soon........ how sad
Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 PM

I caught some bows and cutthroats later on in the season, there's some decent ones in there but few and far between. Trout Unlimited has been rolling out their stewardship license project on JP last year so a good number of brookies have been harvested, but that doesn't extend upstream of powderface.
The brookies were roughly 20ish cm, but I'm sure there's some bigger ones hidding
Old 06-24-2014, 05:31 PM

nice sizes, did you keep them hope you did....... can i still join TUC's project?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM

A bit too small... But fun to catch!
The TUC program hasn't started this year so you should ask then to contact you when they set their identification outings. Should be anytime now (hopefully)
Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
I caught some bows and cutthroats later on in the season, there's some decent ones in there but few and far between. Trout Unlimited has been rolling out their stewardship license project on JP last year so a good number of brookies have been harvested, but that doesn't extend upstream of powderface.
The brookies were roughly 20ish cm, but I'm sure there's some bigger ones hidding
also, do you know much about the meadows pond upstream of powderface if they have cutties or just bows and brookies?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:14 PM

usually its just some stocked bows
Old 06-25-2014, 03:25 AM

high and muddy still - not worth fishing yet. Another week I'd say and it will be primo!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
okay..... so no one's been catching bows or cutties in the JP watershed recently?(pretty sure there are no whitefishes was just checking) what size were the brookies? they're are gonna dominate this watershed soon........ how sad
I have caught mostly brookies in jumpingpound but their are supposed to be more cuts upstream. Unfortunately the powderface trial is still closed . The stewardship license for brookie harvesting is delayed this year but hopefully we hear something soon. Your right about the invasion being sad..I love brookies and all but not at the expense of native species.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky View Post
A bit too small... But fun to catch!
The TUC program hasn't started this year so you should ask then to contact you when they set their identification outings. Should be anytime now (hopefully)

That's one of the reasons to keep the Brookies in these streams regardless of size. Brook trout will stunt and mature at a VERY small size.

If you were not aware, there is no size limit on Brook Trout in Jumpingpound and Sibbald, a 20cm fish is legal to keep.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
I have caught mostly brookies in jumpingpound but their are supposed to be more cuts upstream. Unfortunately the powderface trial is still closed . The stewardship license for brookie harvesting is delayed this year but hopefully we hear something soon. Your right about the invasion being sad..I love brookies and all but not at the expense of native species.
do you have any idea when it opens? I checked google maps, right before it is closed, there is a sign that says ''dawson equestrian'', turn in and you could hike down cox hill trail to walk access JP creek.
Good luck and good fishin'
Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
That's one of the reasons to keep the Brookies in these streams regardless of size. Brook trout will stunt and mature at a VERY small size.

If you were not aware, there is no size limit on Brook Trout in Jumpingpound and Sibbald, a 20cm fish is legal to keep.
With a limit of two fish until the Stewardship license starts again, I didn't want to keep 2 small ones and kept hoping for 2 big ones!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Well im not sure if its illegal or not (not really mentioned in the regs) you could keep them alive in a bucket until you catch a bigger one then you release the smaller one and do this over again until you get the biggest one of the day and keep the final product(s)
Old 06-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well im not sure if its illegal or not (not really mentioned in the regs) you could keep them alive in a bucket until you catch a bigger one then you release the smaller one and do this over again until you get the biggest one of the day and keep the final product(s)
Well, either your name is Scott, or you are new to fishing.

If you are new to fishing, read the reg's. Yes, they do cover this, and most other things. If you are unsure of a regulation and you have read the manual, post your question here or call F&W. DYODD.

If you plan on harvesting fish, read the reg's, familiarize yourself with the boundaries on various rivers and lakes, so that you know exactly where you are. It is important.

There is a ton of information on this site and in the reg's, spend some time familiarizing yourself with both and you will have a good idea of where to go, what to use, and what the reg's are for those various locations.

best of luck

let us know how you make out.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:53 PM

wasn't actually thinking of doing it just an innovative but illegal(just noticed) random idea. i never did it and im not going to do it ever now that i know. thanks i will keep the point in mind
Old 06-25-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
wasn't actually thinking of doing it just an innovative but illegal(just noticed) random idea. i never did it and im not going to do it ever now that i know. thanks i will keep the point in mind
It's called culling.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:01 AM

oh some these terms i never bothered learn completey, i thought culling was murdering fish not sorting them, my bad.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
i just checked this http://www.albertafishingguide.com/l...ingpound-creek and there's only brook trout, sadly and not a variety
Old 06-27-2014, 12:23 AM

Default JP

Quote:
i just checked this http://www.albertafishingguide.com/l...ingpound-creek and there's only brook trout, sadly and not a variety
Don't believe everything you read
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 AM

I've caught more cutthroat out of jumping pound then Brooke trout. And a couple of monster cut bows.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
There are brookies, rainbows, cuts and maybe some bulls. Probably whitefish too. Anyone ever got a bull outta there?

Not sure when that road is gonna open. Wasn't a priority one from the flood damage I imagine.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 AM

ok thanks everyone
Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 AM

Default Jp

Was there last evening. Water is dropping. Definitely fishable. However fishes are very small... Off powderface
Old 06-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
Was there last evening. Water is dropping. Definitely fishable. However fishes are very small... Off powderface
tiny brookies again, right?.............sigh
Old 06-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Well, either your name is Scott, or you are new to fishing.

If you are new to fishing, read the reg's. Yes, they do cover this, and most other things. If you are unsure of a regulation and you have read the manual, post your question here or call F&W. DYODD.

If you plan on harvesting fish, read the reg's, familiarize yourself with the boundaries on various rivers and lakes, so that you know exactly where you are. It is important.

There is a ton of information on this site and in the reg's, spend some time familiarizing yourself with both and you will have a good idea of where to go, what to use, and what the reg's are for those various locations.

best of luck

let us know how you make out.
Sounds like Scotty's trademark or a 15 year old...Kinda like FishingAddict....Is this what the fishing forum has come to
Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sounds like Scotty's trademark or a 15 year old...Kinda like FishingAddict....Is this what the fishing forum has come to

Agreed.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Agreed.
LOL....After many years here, trolling to this degree is ridiculous

Thanks Garth..Hope you are well...Need to get out soon when you have time