Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 PM

Default Cline River Closure due to possible Bear encounter.

Thought I would share this here because I know some members like going to the area for fishing. From a F&W facebook post a couple hours ago.

And I quote," Please be advised that a portion of the Cline River Trail has been closed due to bear activity. The closure will remain in effect until July 15, 2020.

On July 7, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement received information from a third party about a bear encounter that occurred at approximately 2:30AM on July 6 at a campsite about 2kms from a staging area along the trail. The bear allegedly got into some backpacks and may have also entered a tent. Officers have not been able to speak to the individuals that were involved in the encounter, but found evidence of garbage that appears to have bite marks from a bear on it.

This is a reminder of the importance of being BearSmart while recreating in bear country. Although serious attacks are rare, you should always be cautious and alert when enjoying the outdoors. If you encounter a bear in the wild, follow these tips to avoid a conflict:

• Do not run. Stay calm. Stay with your group and keep children close. Assess the situation.
• Look around. If you see cubs or an animal carcass, the bear will want to protect them. If you see either, back away from them.
• Prepare to use your bear spray.
• Back out. Leave the area the way that you came. Keep your eye on the bear without staring at it aggressively.
• Watch for a place to hide. As you back away, seek out a place of safety, such as a car or building.
• Speak to the bear in a soft, low voice. Let the bear know that you are human and not a prey animal.
• Use your noisemaker and prepare to defend yourself with bear spray.

For additional tips on how to prevent a bear encounter while hiking, fishing, camping, and biking in bear country, visit: https://www.alberta.ca/bears-and-out...ecreation.aspx.

As always, you can call our 24/7 Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800 to report any bear sightings or encounters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear .jpg (102.8 KB, 161 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-07-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thought I would share this here because I know some members like going to the area for fishing. From a F&W facebook post a couple hours ago.

And I quote," Please be advised that a portion of the Cline River Trail has been closed due to bear activity. The closure will remain in effect until July 15, 2020.

On July 7, Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement received information from a third party about a bear encounter that occurred at approximately 2:30AM on July 6 at a campsite about 2kms from a staging area along the trail. The bear allegedly got into some backpacks and may have also entered a tent. Officers have not been able to speak to the individuals that were involved in the encounter, but found evidence of garbage that appears to have bite marks from a bear on it.

This is a reminder of the importance of being BearSmart while recreating in bear country. Although serious attacks are rare, you should always be cautious and alert when enjoying the outdoors. If you encounter a bear in the wild, follow these tips to avoid a conflict:

• Do not run. Stay calm. Stay with your group and keep children close. Assess the situation.
• Look around. If you see cubs or an animal carcass, the bear will want to protect them. If you see either, back away from them.
• Prepare to use your bear spray.
• Back out. Leave the area the way that you came. Keep your eye on the bear without staring at it aggressively.
• Watch for a place to hide. As you back away, seek out a place of safety, such as a car or building.
• Speak to the bear in a soft, low voice. Let the bear know that you are human and not a prey animal.
• Use your noisemaker and prepare to defend yourself with bear spray.

For additional tips on how to prevent a bear encounter while hiking, fishing, camping, and biking in bear country, visit: https://www.alberta.ca/bears-and-out...ecreation.aspx.

As always, you can call our 24/7 Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800 to report any bear sightings or encounters.
Good to know. Was going to Nordegg again Thursday but looks like the rain will screw up the trip again. Thanks for the good info.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:06 AM

Well I guess my plans for this weekend are going to have to change. My 15 year old daughter and 12 year old nephew were really looking forward to our hiking trip up there. We were supposed to leave Friday, returning Sunday.
Anyone know of another good hike for us to check out?

My original plans were to hike along the Ram River... rain has made this pointless.
Backup plan was to hike along the North Ram... now a road closure on the North Fork.
Second backup was the Cline...
Allstones Lake is the only other one that I’ve thought about.
My daughter was to do a hiking trip with her school for grade 9 grad and Covid screwed that up...

Looking for somewhere to take these kids for two nights with fishing and hiking that’s not too hard of a trail.

Please PM me if you prefer.

Thanks!

Daryl
Old 07-08-2020, 07:48 AM

But found evidence of garbage that appears to have bite marks from a bear on it.

There you have it. People will never learn. Buddy told me yesterday, during the Big Horn campground closure, a family of Grizzlies amused themselves by digging up fire pits.

Grizz
Old 07-08-2020, 07:54 AM

Default grizzly

My son always protects his family when hiking with what he calls his 'Bear Spray" A short barrel coachman double barrel shotgun loaded with buckshot and slug.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:33 AM

Another reason for back country campers to set up a trip line, to wake you up when a whatever comes into your camp, https://fithops.com/collections/all-...18830028603459

sadly these are out of stock, right now
Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Another reason for back country campers to set up a trip line, to wake you up when a whatever comes into your camp, https://fithops.com/collections/all-...18830028603459

sadly these are out of stock, right now
Better yet, Bears are out there, even if no sign is posted

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/udap...?lcab.rdr=TRUE

Grizz
Old 07-09-2020, 05:18 AM

That red area in the map has always held Grizz.

I often hiked to Pinto Lake in the 80s.

Came to the trail head at dusk / dark one time & a bunch of outfitters / clients & horses were filling the parking lot.

Every one was amazed I made it past the big Grizz feeding on a dead Horse beside the trail. It wouldn't let any others pass.

Lucky !
Old 07-09-2020, 09:23 AM

Default grizz

Revees, I would not want to pass a grizz feeding on a dead horse, he might want to change his menu for supper. Real dangerous situation.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 AM

How can they close trails in grizzly country just because there’s a grizzly? If I had a trip planned there, my plans would likely not change. Ridiculous
Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 PM

Default Another encounter

Another bear encounter closure by Abraham today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 115797339_2678208819104503_8352145831564473959_o.jpg (51.0 KB, 74 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-29-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Another bear encounter closure by Abraham today.
Bearsmart advised there was a three legged Black seen in a camp ground near there, about a week ago.

Grizz
Old 07-30-2020, 12:14 AM

My plan yesterday was to hike up to Rawson Lake with my youngest Shrub and friends to fish for the day. Closed due to multiple grizz with cubs in the area. We still made the most of it though.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 10:43 AM

Just a good example of what happens when people leave their garbage behind. The bears with their great noses find the easy pickins. Province will not need to close Abraham lake area chaos to camping. The bears will take care of the problem.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
But found evidence of garbage that appears to have bite marks from a bear on it.

There you have it. People will never learn. Buddy told me yesterday, during the Big Horn campground closure, a family of Grizzlies amused themselves by digging up fire pits.

Grizz
Hardly amusing themselves-never underestimate a grizzly bears superior olfactory ability to detect partially incinerated food.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
Hardly amusing themselves-never underestimate a grizzly bears superior olfactory ability to detect partially incinerated food.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I once attended a presentation where they claimed a Grizzly could smell a dead horse buried 8 ft. deep and dig it up. That was hardly a test. My son buried his dog in the field behind the house, never saw a bear but his shroud mysteriously reappeared, shredded and torn.

Grizz
Old 07-31-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
That red area in the map has always held Grizz.

I often hiked to Pinto Lake in the 80s.

Came to the trail head at dusk / dark one time & a bunch of outfitters / clients & horses were filling the parking lot.

Every one was amazed I made it past the big Grizz feeding on a dead Horse beside the trail. It wouldn't let any others pass.

Lucky !

You parked a pinto car at the trailhead to pinto lake, bear figured you had all your paperwork in order! lol.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-31-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Revees, I would not want to pass a grizz feeding on a dead horse, he might want to change his menu for supper. Real dangerous situation.
There's a dead horse on one of the trails near Eagle Lake. Opportunity Knocks.

Grizz
Old 08-01-2020, 10:15 AM

Had to pass a large grizz at 10;00PM in dark on cutline walking back to elk camp on the Brazeau river few years back. Not much fun he was roaring and thrashed bush, believe protecting his supper, I fired 300mag over his head 3-4 times. Not much fun looking over your shoulder in dark last few miles to camp.
Do not want to try taking a dead horse from mad grizz.