Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I wonder why McMurray didn’t spike then when hundreds were shoulder to shoulder sand bagging the hospital and ripping out basements in the lower townsite during and after the flood?
Did you see them? They were all wearing masks, that’s most likely why.

Did you happen to so the people rioting?
Old 07-01-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
Scotth the virus when noted in march was in small numbers. We are told it spreads like a grass fire it should have in Dec. Who says if you get it you die that is the scare tactic thing. 154 deaths out of a population of roughly 4.8 million people rather low death odds.

What is bugging me most here is that so many are fine with all the restrictions. Even though they are saying it will never go away and we can't build antibodies to it. That men we stay in a state of semi lock down for life right. The government is pushing we will stay under scrutiny until there are no new cases. If it flares up again we go back to lock down. This does not sound like life in a free country to me. We are missing the big picture because we are afraid of what.
Not sure you realize your argument is not comparing apples to apples.

You are trying to compare current Canada with low infection rate due to significant efforts of social distancing to a fictitious scenario a person’s feeling that the low infection rate means it is not a major pandemic.

As people mentioned...to compare efforts versus pandemic seriousness you can simply compare us to Italy, UK, And Spain. Now also Brazil and US.

Honest data was provided in UK, Spain and Italy as well as New York.

From these examples you can then understand how failure to act will massively increase the negative consequences of the pandemic.

In other words...if Canada did nothing and ended up like Spain or Italy... then yikes.

Now we are seeing a continued failure to do anything in Brazil and a total about face on trying to effectively control Covid outbreaks in the US which again highlights why Canada is doing it better.

I cringe when I hear someone try to extrapolate Canada’s low Covid infection rate as proof Covid is not serious. I just shake my head.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
There have been recommended guidelines for a healthy life wayyyyy before Covid. The guideline being, don’t be a fat out of shape person as it compromises your immune system. Don’t lead a healthy lifestyle? Face the consequences....

I was always taught to wash my hands. I see posters in washrooms now stating to wash your hands. Really??? I guess it’s a new or never taught concept for some so posters about it must be displayed...
108 of the 154 people who have died in Alberta have been over 80.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-01-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Not sure you realize your argument is not comparing apples to apples.

You are trying to compare current Canada with low infection rate due to significant efforts of social distancing to a fictitious scenario a person’s feeling that the low infection rate means it is not a major pandemic.

As people mentioned...to compare efforts versus pandemic seriousness you can simply compare us to Italy, UK, And Spain. Now also Brazil and US.

Honest data was provided in UK, Spain and Italy as well as New York.

From these examples you can then understand how failure to act will massively increase the negative consequences of the pandemic.

In other words...if Canada did nothing and ended up like Spain or Italy... then yikes.

Now we are seeing a continued failure to do anything in Brazil and a total about face on trying to effectively control Covid outbreaks in the US which again highlights why Canada is doing it better.

I cringe when I hear someone try to extrapolate Canada’s low Covid infection rate as proof Covid is not serious. I just shake my head.
Their population densities got them. That's easy to figure out
Old 07-01-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadji Ramjet View Post
No, actually he didn't: The NSC created the "counterproliferation and biodefense directorate," which was the result of consolidating three directorates into one. The pandemic preparedness office was one of those three.

Doublespeak for more emphasis was put on the military side of the NSC i.e. foreign threats and weapons of mass destruction, while the pandemic response areas were thinned and key personnel departed. Shouldnt be a big surprise with Bolton heading things up right?

Here's a simple question Mr Bolton. Was the national pandemic team specifically, reduced in scope, manpower, and funding?

I think you enjoy playing the game of silly bugger while spouting views from the far right. Are you willing to vouch for Boltons latest Trump trashing opinions as well now since youre obviously a huge fanboy.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
108 of the 154 people who have died in Alberta have been over 80.
I hear you Chuck. I realize that. I’m also a believer that if it wasn’t Covid, pneumonia, the flu or other ailment would probably have done the same thing more than likely. All I’m getting at is that exercise combined with a healthy diet strengthens ones immune system. With that said, once your in your 80’s every extra day you get on this planet is a bonus...
Old 07-01-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Did you see them? They were all wearing masks, that’s most likely why.

Did you happen to so the people rioting?
I saw lots of videos with no masks in McMurray but maybe I missed the vids where lots were wearing them. As for the rioters yeah no masks at all.
Rhonda has to wear a mask all day at work at Cummins. It’s no fun lol
Old 07-01-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
There have been recommended guidelines for a healthy life wayyyyy before Covid. The guideline being, don’t be a fat out of shape person as it compromises your immune system. Don’t lead a healthy lifestyle? Face the consequences....

I was always taught to wash my hands. I see posters in washrooms now stating to wash your hands. Really??? I guess it’s a new or never taught concept for some so posters about it must be displayed...
I see posters for people telling them how to use a toilet!!! dont stand on it nd squat stand back and if you have enough to hold onto try to aim! maybe the handwashing posters are just as necessary with all the illegals Turdoh has his bellboys usher in to our country we dont have as many sanddunes to pee behind. Not saying I dont use a tree here and there either. if I can find any around here

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 07-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I hear you Chuck. I realize that. I’m also a believer that if it wasn’t Covid, pneumonia, the flu or other ailment would probably have done the same thing more than likely. All I’m getting at is that exercise combined with a healthy diet strengthens ones immune system. With that said, once your in your 80’s every extra day you get on this planet is a bonus...
And no matter what your age, every minute is precious.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I remember talking to my Grandpa after he got back from town and his Dr’s appointment. He says, well the Dr told me the only thing wrong with me is I’m 85 years from my first birthday.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
And no matter what your age, every minute is precious.
Absolutely
Old 07-01-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Some new information, article from National post. Maybe this has been around for a while. Much longer than thought.

MADRID — Spanish virologists have found traces of the novel coronavirus in a sample of Barcelona waste water collected in March 2019, nine months before the COVID-19 disease was identified in China, the University of Barcelona said on Friday.

The discovery of virus genome presence so early in Spain, if confirmed, would imply the disease may have appeared much earlier than the scientific community thought.

DISTROSCALE

The University of Barcelona team, who had been testing waste water since mid-April this year to identify potential new outbreaks, decided to also run tests on older samples.

They first found the virus was present in Barcelona on Jan. 15, 2020, 41 days before the first case was officially reported there.

Then they ran tests on samples taken between January 2018 and December 2019 and found the presence of the virus genome in one of them, collected on March 12, 2019.

“The levels of SARS-CoV-2 were low but were positive,” research leader Albert Bosch was quoted as saying by the university.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW

The research has been submitted for a peer review.

Dr Joan Ramon Villalbi of the Spanish Society for Public Health and Sanitary Administration told Reuters it was still early to draw definitive conclusions.

“When it’s just one result, you always want more data, more studies, more samples to confirm it and rule out a laboratory error or a methodological problem,” he said.

There was the potential for a false positive due to the virus’ similarities with other respiratory infections.

“But it’s definitely interesting, it’s suggestive,” Villalbi said.

Bosch, who is president of the Spanish Society of Virologists, said that an early detection even in January could have improved the response to the pandemic. Instead, patients were probably misdiagnosed with common flu, contributing to community transmission before measures were taken.

Prof. Gertjan Medema of the KWR Water Research Institute in the Netherlands, whose team began using a coronavirus test on waste water in February, suggested the Barcelona group needs to repeat the tests to confirm it is really the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Spain has recorded more than 28,000 confirmed deaths and nearly 250,000 cases of the virus so far. (Reporting by Emma Pinedo, Nathan Allen and Inti Landauro, writing by Inti Landauro and Andrei Khalip, Editing by Angus MacSwan)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry but lots of densely populated areas have had extremely low infection rates. Seattle vs Vancouver comes to mind, but many other examples, but that one is Canadian.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Well you're obviously very special. Or invisible.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...and-exceptions
May 3 AC7218 SYD-AKL May 4 AC7220 AKL-YYZ
May 8 AC7218 SYD-AKL May 9 AC7220 AKL-YYZ
May 26 AC7218 SYD-AKL May 27 AC7220 AKL-YYZ

Which suggests that your knowledge of aircraft movements is about as weak as your knowledge of US pandemic preparedness.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:21 PM

More cases of the virus being around longer than thought but no pandemic until March 2020. One year later it is deadly and spreading like crazy. You mean to tell me this genius virus planned this evil plot. To much does not add up. From the way it is still spreading and now claiming it has been around for 15 months. The number should be a lot higher then 10 and a million cases around the world. Which is still a small number when the population of the world is 7.5 billion. The US does not have a denser population then Canada just because LA is equal to Canada's population.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Which suggests that your knowledge of aircraft movements is about as weak as your knowledge of US pandemic preparedness.

Whatever you do, dont tell the whole story Special Invisible Bolton Man.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:

So, looks like both these are in-direct flights coming back from Sydney, Australia and that flight plan has the aircraft touching down in Auckland, New Zealand and I'm assuming passengers stay behind the secured area and go to their next gate to get on the next flight back to Canada?

Is that correct? I'm actually curious if you could get to New Zealand without a travel VISA right now .... genuinely (and I'm not thinking about the technicality of touching down at an airport to change planes nor am I thinking about a Canadian Citizen on a return leg either).

Not trying to argue, just curious.

Last edited by EZM; 07-01-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Population density plus social behaviours definitely can contribute. Assuming lower population densities somehow make a country immune to catastrophic spread is false. It may just take a little longer to ramp up.

Any small town can be hit hard. Just need the initial infected to hit a buffet line.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-02-2020, 12:59 PM

Apparently youth in the US are having Covid parties to pass the disease along.

Crazy.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Apparently youth in the US are having Covid parties to pass the disease along.

Crazy.
Hopefully that gets to their private medical insurance provider.......
Old 07-02-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
how about we let the medical experts determine that....oh and they will...blink and we can have severe restrictions implemented.....

I don't know what bergerboy does or lives etc but he/she mentioned to just go about the day as if nothing happened...find that hard to believe unless you are somewhat isolated already and got a good supply other than that going out to get items was slowed down/restricted etc or stopped all together....

if we run amuck the guerments will put a kabosh on us....just look at the states...thank god our country has a little more control or we too would be in the hurt locker right now...
Yes we are all so much better than the US. Of course unless we look at individual states and provinces in which case Quebec is doing very poorly and many US states are doing very well. It is mind boggling that people can't seem to figure out that other than entry into the countries the federal governments control very little. It is the states and provinces that are responsible for health care.

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

3,600 fatalities, population 21 million, older population

https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/heal...rus-in-quebec/

5,500 fatalities, population 8.4 million

Yep, lets all make fun of the US and pat ourselves on the back.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
So, looks like both these are in-direct flights coming back from Sydney, Australia and that flight plan has the aircraft touching down in Auckland, New Zealand and I'm assuming passengers stay behind the secured area and go to their next gate to get on the next flight back to Canada?

Is that correct? I'm actually curious if you could get to New Zealand without a travel VISA right now .... genuinely (and I'm not thinking about the technicality of touching down at an airport to change planes nor am I thinking about a Canadian Citizen on a return leg either).

Maybe he was the pilot.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Maybe he was the pilot.

It was Air Canada. More chance of stewardess.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Man if I had a flight that took me from Sydney to Toronto via Auckland I'd probably walk instead. Isnt it around 5 hours south? That'd be fun.

He's either an airline employee, escorting family members to NZ, or a drug smuggler, but he sure as hell wasn't a tourist or he'd be doing the quarantine thing upon landing as was mandated. In Canada isolating for 14 days was a suggestion. Different game down there.

In late in the day. Out the next. Yawn. Doesnt leave a lot of time to get to the lodge and shoot a fallow deer or tahr.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Man if I had a flight that took me from Sydney to Toronto via Auckland I'd probably walk instead. Isnt it around 5 hours south? That'd be fun.

He's either an airline employee, escorting family members to NZ, or a drug smuggler, but he sure as hell wasn't a tourist or he'd be doing the quarantine thing upon landing as was mandated. In Canada isolating for 14 days was a suggestion. Different game down there.

In late in the day. Out the next. Yawn. Doesnt leave a lot of time to get to the lodge and shoot a fallow deer or tahr.
My guess when he said "I flew into Auckland" he literally flew into Auckland and changed planes, never left the secured part of the airport, and, so, officially he's right, but based on that, I'm not sure anyone would be allowed to clear customs and make landed entry and enter the country without a special Visa or travel waiver.

I guess we will wait for the reply. Maybe he has such a VISA, or perhaps has a waiver or is a resident or citizen affording the ability to make landed entry.

The reason I was curious is we have some businesses down there, and they are letting Canadians and Americans OUT but nobody in my company has been allowed back IN (and we are an essential service in most jurisdictions).

Visas and Waivers have been suspended for landed entry - so the choice for these people was stay in, or you are welcome to leave, but will not be allowed back in unless you are a citizen. Even permanent residents require a waiver to get back in, and at least one guy, who's now in Toronto has not been granted re-entry.

Either way, all of my info is second hand through the company (and some people I know out east) - I don't handle this stuff myself and maybe that's not the case - I dunno.

Last edited by EZM; 07-03-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:47 PM

I was considering going to Alaska, comparatively simple these trying days, but the state has turned into a real hot spot with new cases and deaths daily.

Grizz
Old 07-03-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
It is the states and provinces that are responsible for health care.
Agreed...and yet there are people who say the PM has done a great job managing the pandemic.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:57 PM

Corb lund getting down on the mountain
Old 07-03-2020, 08:00 PM

Grew up in Ontario.................love saskatchewan
Old 07-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
My guess when he said "I flew into Auckland" he literally flew into Auckland and changed planes, never left the secured part of the airport, and, so, officially he's right, but based on that, I'm not sure anyone would be allowed to clear customs and make landed entry and enter the country without a special Visa or travel waiver.

I guess we will wait for the reply. Maybe he has such a VISA, or perhaps has a waiver or is a resident or citizen affording the ability to make landed entry.

The reason I was curious is we have some businesses down there, and they are letting Canadians and Americans OUT but nobody in my company has been allowed back IN (and we are an essential service in most jurisdictions).

Visas and Waivers have been suspended for landed entry - so the choice for these people was stay in, or you are welcome to leave, but will not be allowed back in unless you are a citizen. Even permanent residents require a waiver to get back in, and at least one guy, who's now in Toronto has not been granted re-entry.

Either way, all of my info is second hand through the company (and some people I know out east) - I don't handle this stuff myself and maybe that's not the case - I dunno.

I posted a link to the current rules and regulations down there. They've been in effect since ballpark March 15.

He was trying to make it sound like he simply flew to NZ and had a lovely holiday and anyone can do the same. Easy peasy right? Wrong.

Travel to New Zealand

New Zealand’s border is closed to most travellers and entry is strictly controlled. All arrivals are tested for COVID-19 and a 14-day managed quarantine or isolation is mandatory.

New Zealand citizens, permanent residents and residents with valid travel conditions returning to New Zealand do not need approval from Immigration New Zealand before travelling.

Temporary entry and resident visa holders must follow health instructions in New Zealand
Everyone in New Zealand is required to follow health instructions that are in place relating to COVID-19.

Any new resident and temporary visas granted are now subject to a specific visa condition requiring them to comply with:

any order made under section 11 of the COVID-19 Public Health Response Act 2020, and
any order made under section 70 of the Health Act 1956 and listed in schedule 2 of the COVID-19 Public Health Response Act 2020, and
any instruction from a Medical Officer of Health which relates to a notifiable or quarantinable disease.
This includes Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia, who are granted resident visas on arrival in New Zealand, regardless of their intended length of stay.

If you do not comply with these requirements, you may be liable for detention or deportation for breaching the conditions of your visa.

Last edited by 270person; 07-03-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Closed Thread