Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 03:28 PM

Default bee removal

I think I have a hive under my front steps, I reached out and am told this is not a honey bee nest, so no one is interested in them, but say they are some type of native bee and I should try and leave them.

Any recommendations on exterminators to remove them or someone else to contact, I am in Calgary?
Old 05-22-2019, 04:24 PM

If they are indeed bees of a sort and not a wasp or hornet then please do not exterminate. They are pollinators which we need to keep our flowers blooming and some of our food source plentiful. Bees in general will not bother you if you leave them alone and don't threaten them. They are threatened with extinction already. I had some under my front step for the last couple years and the just come and go during the day. I could sit on my step and watch them and would never be bothered. Maybe check into it more. But a wasp or Hornet will sting or bite you more than once just because they can. They seem to be the A- Wholes of the bunch .
Just my thoughts
Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 PM

We had bumblebees nesting under our skirted in deck at our last house. Even our dogs used to seem to like to watch them heading for bed in the evenings in small groups. Totally Harmless unless you sit on them. Honey bees tend to out compete native bees and aren't nearly as good pollinators. Yellowjackets are a different conversation.