Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Talking Moose Hit & Run

So I was out this morning looking for a nice white tail, or elk, or just to get out and enjoy the beautiful day, and saw something that had me cracking up, never seen anything quite like it before. My friend and I had been doing some walking, scouting, a bit of calling (had an elk give us a couple bugles, but being shy).....stopped for a break and to enjoy the day around 10 AM, sitting on a bluff overlooking the Wapiti. We're BSing, when in mid sentence my bud says 'Holy ----' and reaches for his rifle. I see right away movement across the river (we'd already ranged it at 200 yds), get my binos on it but it's not elk...too bad. It's a moose, no two, nope, three moose! Cow, her calf, and a young bull keeping her company (bitty little paddles on him). My bud starts a little call going, and she perks right up, walks right into the open on the other bank, she's looking, twitching ears....the little bull comes out too, gets between us and her. All of a sudden, he doesn't like what he's hearing, and he turns around and high tails it out of dodge....but not being real gentlemanly about it, because he ran right over top of the cow, bowled her clean over! All I saw was her four gangly long legs kicking up in the air, the calf is flipping out over which way to go, but follows the bull. Finally after a bit of thrashing about, mamma get's her up from down sorted out and scrambles after them, but what a crazy sight to see a moose get so upended and out of sorts like that. I wish I'd had my video camera with me, one of nature's more comical moments for me.

I wonder if that little bull is gonna get lucky after that performance?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 AM

oh those things we see when we dont have a camera or vidieo cam, but they stay imbedded in our minds , its sad we arent grrrrrrrrreat artists to draw these things into pictures
Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 AM

That woulda been neat to see. Who'da thunk it.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 AM

You didn't need a camera to paint that picture for me. Thanks for the neat description of a very interesting encounter.