Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 09:16 AM

Default goose speicies question????

ok so I,ll admit i aint never been much of a goose hunter or studied them much,
so this year ive been studying them alot .
now ive figured out the blue phase, the ross goose the white fronted,,geese the speckled bellies, the lesser and greater canadian geese, but there is one i dunno what phase or speicies it it is , they are solid grey, wth a black beak, and no other markings they feed wth the others but tend to come in in sepeperate flocks as like the snows do, and the canada geese do, they are about the same size as snow geese but seem to be a tad bit stouter (more chubby) than the snows , what speacies are these geese????
Old 10-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Some of the immature Blue Geese will have dark beaks and all grey bodies. There is also the Brant Goose. The Brant has a black beak abd a very darkish brown and grey body, however it has a white ring around its neck and is white on the belly from the legs back. These birds are not common.

Cheers,

pat
Old 10-02-2010, 10:41 AM

sounds like a brant to me too!...... . LOL. FYI- as a general rule there are no brant in alberta

I think you're looking at an immature snow goose. Black beak and grey body. We get very few blues through the western part of the central flyway compared to the middle and eastern parts of the flyway.

An immature speck will be slightly larger than a big mallard, with a pinkish/yellowish beak (no white ring around the base) and no bars on its breast, the feet will also be a lighter yellow as opposed to the bright orange of a mature bird.

Happy hunting.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 PM

Hmm, when I hunted n UK, we used to get Pink Footed goose which had a bluish bill. They are common in UK and up as far as Greenland. They are occasionally seen in Newfoundland. I am not sure if they may flock with other geese in the arctic or if they have ever been seen this far west.
Why not get a pic next time.I am sure that someone could easily identify them from a good picture.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
sounds like a brant to me too!...... . LOL. FYI- as a general rule there are no brant in alberta

I think you're looking at an immature snow goose. Black beak and grey body. We get very few blues through the western part of the central flyway compared to the middle and eastern parts of the flyway.

An immature speck will be slightly larger than a big mallard, with a pinkish/yellowish beak (no white ring around the base) and no bars on its breast, the feet will also be a lighter yellow as opposed to the bright orange of a mature bird.

Happy hunting.
I actualy live 25 km from the manitoba boarder moved her 3 years ago , sure miss where i lived west of edmonton though.
these geese dont have a white ring and the have black beaks black legs, i will try to get a picture of one
Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
I actualy live 25 km from the manitoba boarder moved her 3 years ago , sure miss where i lived west of edmonton though.
these geese dont have a white ring and the have black beaks black legs, i will try to get a picture of one
When you said you are in Manitoba,I thought I would check the Manitoba Hunters web-site and came across this posting.
http://www.manitobahunters.com/index...wnload&id=1150

does the goose in the picture look like yours? Respondents said it is an immature Blue Goose (no white on head)
Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 AM

thems the exact gooses i,m talkin about
thank you very much please
Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 AM

mystery solved