Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Observations from the elk patch

Finally got into a herd of 60+ elk.

One pretty dinky 5x5, I mean real small... the big boys must be elsewhere. I really don;t think a bull that puny deserves so many girlfriends.

I couldn't close the deal, I kept getting hung up at 60 yards. Then they filed out of the valley, so I tried to do an intercept.... almost did it except for the damn white tails that busted me.

Some lessons learned,

1. One hunter calling is tough.
2. If he's got the ladies... there's next to nothin that'll get him to leave and come to you.
3. The wind can quickly turn you hunt into a nature viewing seminar cause you can;t get any closer no matter what (and as a sweaty Ukrainian archer... I don;t bother wasting$$ on scent reducer... I sweat after 5k of hills... nothings gonna change that. just play the wind right if you can).
4. I am a good bugler and cow talker. It was a great 1.5 hours of just listening-observing.
5. Calf elk were never meant to encounter fences... and I wonder how many get hurt crossing.
6. Bears can make really funny noises in the bush.

All in all a good night. Except I'd of rather had tenderloin instead of chicken wings.

Round 2 tomorrow possibly.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 PM

good luck
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 PM

If you need a hand......where are you
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM

Sounds like a lot of lessons learned. Good luck closing the deal!!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 PM

There's hope for ya yet Bessie!

Good luck.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 AM

Default Zing!

thanks tree!

I do have a question here. I the herd had a legal 3 in it and acted all the while like 'one of the herd'. I've never seen this, the herd bull was very aggressive and pushed several cows back up the hill that wanted to come 'check out this new competitor', but the three and a two branch just hung around, not looking for action and whatnot.

Now I haven't observed alot of big herd behaviour during the rut (i admit, this is my fourth time), but all the other times the herd bull would chase out the other spikes and smaller bulls and the smallies would run into my calls lookin for love.

anyone else seen this?

also...

After an hour, I got 'barked' at. Last time I had this, the herd high-tailed it out. Nothing happened this time. As a matter of fact, they just hung out and I was able to close distance and still interest cows. This goes against what I've read and previously seen.

lesson here = expect all things to happen.

one last also...

I'm 99% sure I herd a bear mumbling along, then it must have farted. I can't think of how else to make that noise.

bd

bd