Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2010, 01:21 PM

Default Finally some elk action!

Last night I set up on a cut block on the side of a mountain and began cow calling. After 45 minutes and no action I mixed things up with an immature bugle and continued to cow call. At about the 1.5 hour mark I was checking behind me and just as I turned around and let out a cow call there was a bull looking at me from across the meadow...about 450 yards. After a 2 minute stare off he put his head down and started eating. I took this opportunity to throw up the glass to see his headgear. He was tall and looked like at least a 3 point. I let out a quiet cow call and he started across the meadow directly towards me. HE WAS COMING!! He was looking in my direction the whole time so I couldn't move. He went into a low spot and temporarily out of sight and I took this opportunity to get ready for the shot. As he came up out of the small ravine. I put the crosshairs on him at about 60 yards. I first checked his headgear to make sure he was legal...but I can only count 2 points on each side!!! He had large peices of antler broken off on both sides!! I reluctantly lowered the gun and simply watched him come all the way in to 25 yards. The wind shifted and he got a whiff of my stinky arse and he was gone like a shot. Although I'm a bit disappointed, as I have been hunting my but off waiting for this opportunity, this was my first experience with an elk coming that close and it was AWESOME! Now I just have to find the guy who busted his points off!! Thanks for reading.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Fun

even though you didnt kill em its great and quite a rush to get that close....gets the heart pumping...good luck on the big fella..
Darrell
Old 10-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Gone Hunting

I see you are hooked for life now.
I let walk nice 6x4 at 30 yards broadside last year as we had all meat that we would need already. Some guys I know go to the bush to tease bulls without intention of shooting any unless extremely big like 7x7. This is adrenaline rush that makes one dreaming about next season after this comes to the end.
I am hooked for life for sure.
Good luck season just started.
Andrew
Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 PM

That's awesome...I'm sure it won't be the last one, good job!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Nice to have had the chance even though it didn't work out CG!

I had a slightly different experience on Wednesday evening. I was back in the bush and started cow calling. Had two different bulls start calling back. We called back and forth, each time the bulls coming closer and closer. I thought to myself that I would finally have the chance to fill my first bull elk tag. After 15 or 20 minutes of calling, the bulls couldn't have been more than a couple hundred yards away. Then all of a sudden shots start getting fired! Some other hunters must have caught sight of the bulls moving in and unleashed with 4 shots. I couldn't believe how close I was to have someone else get the shot in the end! What a disappointment, but I was so excited to have been calling back and forth for so long with the bulls. I guess I found out that my calling isn't all that bad at least!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 PM

That's what it's all about
Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 PM

Sounds pretty sweet!!! Good luck!!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:52 AM

Smile Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagrown View Post
Although I'm a bit disappointed, as I have been hunting my but off waiting for this opportunity, this was my first experience with an elk coming that close and it was AWESOME!
I had a similiar experience this year for the first time. I could barely keep my bino's steady to get a look him.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybob View Post
I had a similiar experience this year for the first time. I could barely keep my bino's steady to get a look him.

IMO thats the best feeling in the world.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 AM

We left at 5:00 am this morning and got to the farm at 7:00 and were done by 7:15 with two Cow Elk and back to town by 11:15. We went out last weekend and the wind kinda goofed us up and didn't get a shot, but today was great.