Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: Is a crossbow more gun or bow in performance and characteristics?
Gun, it shoots farther and is easier to use and more efficient. 25 16.45%
Bow, it has no more range and requires the same skills a bowhunter needs to get close undetected. 67 44.08%
Neither, way more peformance than a bow but way less than a gun. 60 39.47%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I think the real question here is "Are crossbow threads more redundant than Native hunting rights threads or just more pointless?" Vote now!
No I think the real question is, what is worse the fact that you took the time to post on this subject when you obviously had absolutely nothing to add to the discussion just needed to get your cheap 2 cents in , or the fact that I read it and responded. I vote for me actually responding.

Still waiting for an answer from anyone who supports crossbows in archery season.

Why do you personally want crossbows in archery season?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburhunter View Post
No I think the real question is, what is worse the fact that you took the time to post on this subject when you obviously had absolutely nothing to add to the discussion just needed to get your cheap 2 cents in , or the fact that I read it and responded. I vote for me actually responding.

Still waiting for an answer from anyone who supports crossbows in archery season.

Why do you personally want crossbows in archery season?
I dont want crossbows in the archery season, if compound bows being almost as effective is the justifying reason then I'd rather give up compound bows then add crossbows to tell you the truth. We've had a few crossbow threads in the last few days where ISB has made it a full time job to shoot off his big yap. Now that theyve either got closed or people have lost intrest he's got to go and start more threads just so he can keep shooting his mouth off, getting realy old.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

Aw rats, I cant beleive I got sucked into this, I must be as dumb as I look but here goes.

Why dont we let people use crossbows in golf? Thats right, make a crossbow that shoots golfballs and then the people who dont have the dedication or time to learn to actualy play golf can just sight the thing in and shoot a great round. It would bring in more golfers, be great for the game. If we make sure the crossbows couldnt shoot any farther than a golf pro can drive a golf ball after years of dedicated practice it would be prety much the same thing .... Well we all can see how stupid that would be, and putting crossbows in the bow season is just as stupid for all the same reasons.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Aw rats, I cant beleive I got sucked into this, I must be as dumb as I look but here goes.

Why dont we let people use crossbows in golf? Thats right, make a crossbow that shoots golfballs and then the people who dont have the dedication or time to learn to actualy play golf can just sight the thing in and shoot a great round. It would bring in more golfers, be great for the game. If we make sure the crossbows couldnt shoot any farther than a golf pro can drive a golf ball after years of dedicated practice it would be prety much the same thing .... Well we all can see how stupid that would be, and putting crossbows in the bow season is just as stupid for all the same reasons.
Ha x2
But modern compounds are easy to shoot like a cross bow so there is no difference.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I don't care what the foursome behind me is using, as long as it's range is limited and they aren't launching balls into my group. Your whole arguement is based on "It's wrong. I don't like it" How would what someone else is using in a sport possibly impact your enjoyment of it?

A closer golf analogy would be if you used a regular putter and you tried to get your club to ban the use of long-shafted putters. Why? So what if a long-shafted putter is easier to use? What possible difference would it make to you?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM

wilburhunter asks: "Still waiting for an answer from anyone who supports crossbows in archery season.
Why do you personally want crossbows in archery season?"

OK wilburhunter, I'll answer:It's simple really; personally it's so I can go hunting longer than just the rifle season. That's it.

Of course, way up here in the Northeast our gun season is already 3 months long
Old 10-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't care what the foursome behind me is using, as long as it's range is limited and they aren't launching balls into my group. Your whole arguement is based on "It's wrong. I don't like it" How would what someone else is using in a sport possibly impact your enjoyment of it?

A closer golf analogy would be if you used a regular putter and you tried to get your club to ban the use of long-shafted putters. Why? So what if a long-shafted putter is easier to use? What possible difference would it make to you?
But what if you were in a golf tournament and had to compete against people using crossbows. After your years of experience and dedicated practice someone has changed the rules and your level of compatancy can be achieved in a much shorter time? If someone came up with an easyer way to golf then that method would probably have its own class in tournaments and not compete against regular golfers. I am not a very good bowhunter, I dont practice enough to shoot beyond 30 yards and I dont have the patience to get within my effective range of animals very often, but I'm not going to cry about it and try and get the rules changed. The people who have put in the time and who can harvest animals effectively deserve the privilages that come with bowhunting. If it makes other people jealous, I say practice up or shut up.

I dont care if people enjoy hunting with crossbows, go nuts just not in bow season. A single shot shotgun shooting buckshot has about the same range and firepower as a compound bow why dont we include that in bowhunting season as well? If shooting a compound bow is so easy then why do some people think they need crossbows?

Last edited by Cal; 10-01-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
But what if you were in a golf tournament and were had to compete against people using crossbows.
Oh, I agree with you there. If you are shooting in a 3D competition, certainly have separate divisions.

Quote:
I dont care if people enjoy hunting with crossbows, go nuts just not in bow season. ?
Again, why do you care if someone is using a crossbow ten miles away from you?

As for your suggestion of using shotguns in bow season, heck, I'd be all for that too. Again, you bring up examples and basically say "that's dumb". Why? I can't think of one answer beyond "I don't want to have to share my season with anyone else. The less people out there the better"... which, of course, is no more greedy or selfish than anyone else's position. LOL
Old 10-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Oh, I agree with you there. If you are shooting in a 3D competition, certainly have separate divisions.

Again, why do you care if someone is using a crossbow ten miles away from you?

As for your suggestion of using shotguns in bow season, heck, I'd be all for that too. Again, you bring up examples and basically say "that's dumb". Why? I can't think of one answer beyond "I don't want to have to share my season with anyone else. The less people out there the better"... which, of course, is no more greedy or selfish than anyone else's position. LOL
Ome last analogy and if you dont get this then you never will.

Many people call moose, elk, and ducks far more effectively than I do. One kind of hunter would knuckle down and learn to call better, another figures he's successful enough, and then theres the 3rd type that says "Hey no fair!" and wants to change the rules and use electronic calls or bait or what have you depending on the circomstance. Electronic or pre-recorded calls may not be more effective than a good moose caller but they are very likely better than the majority of people I hear trying to call in animals. I kind of think that a guy who thinks shotguns should be allowed in a bow season would also be in favor of electronic calls and possibly baiting, if thats true you are hopeless, you will never get it. I could be wrong and if thats so theres hope for you yet.

I dont realy care if crossbows are more or less effective than compound bows or not, the fact is that they are far easyer to learn to use and require less time investment, and that to me is why they shouldnt be allowed in the archery season. The season is already open to anyone who wants to hunt it, just some people are unwilling to do the work required to be succsessfull and are looking for a loophole and its that priciple I dont like. If all those extra hunters that would hunt if they could use crossbows instead bought bows I would have no problem with that.

In summary, the advantages of the bow season are already avalible to those who put in the required effort and it should stay that way. Crossbows are a shortcut in the learning curve and therefore belong in a different catagory. This is not the opinion of a bowhunter that wants to protect his territory. This is the opinion of a quasi bowhunter that respects the effort made by others to master a sport that he has not. I would rather give up and stick to rifle hunting than take that shorcut.

Last edited by Cal; 10-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
wilburhunter asks: "Still waiting for an answer from anyone who supports crossbows in archery season.
Why do you personally want crossbows in archery season?"

OK wilburhunter, I'll answer:It's simple really; personally it's so I can go hunting longer than just the rifle season. That's it.

Of course, way up here in the Northeast our gun season is already 3 months long
So what is keeping you from buying a bow and taking advantage of the Archery season already is a better question??
Old 10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I dont want crossbows in the archery season, if compound bows being almost as effective is the justifying reason then I'd rather give up compound bows then add crossbows to tell you the truth. We've had a few crossbow threads in the last few days where ISB has made it a full time job to shoot off his big yap. Now that theyve either got closed or people have lost intrest he's got to go and start more threads just so he can keep shooting his mouth off, getting realy old.
well cal, you're johnny come lately i guess. the last several threads on this topic were not closed and the last one which was the first in a while was not closed. however if you read it, youd know i didnt start it. the reason this one took over is because someone asked for a poll. your first couple of posts made me ask myself, why are you even saying anything if you have nothing to add to the discussion? you then made an attempt at sounding like you had a point, but the ludicrous ideas made no sense. toward the last post though, you expressed a valid opinion and i respect that. you think a crossbow is easier to learn and......are you ready.......I AGREE. you dont want them included as you think someone would be less of a hunter for it. well, ok. you are entitled to your opinion as i am to mine. i have no personal interest one way or the other......i just dont like it when guys make an uninformed opinion based on myths. there area lot of guys who have learned a lot from these discussions, and isnt that the point of this forum?

Quote:
had to compete against people using crossbows. ?
now by saying this i have no choice but to feel sorry for you. if you think hunting is a competition, you are missing out on a lot. i cant tell you how to do it or what you should like, but if this is how you feel........wow, seriously i feel bad for you.

a guy told me last year that he was with another hunter who shot a very nice whitetail. it was over 160 and rather than just being happy for what he had done, the first words he spoke were, "Yes! That should beat Dale for this years big buck competition." i felt sorry for that guy as well when i heard that.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 10-01-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:06 PM

BrownBear416, you ask: "So what is keeping you from buying a bow and taking advantage of the Archery season already is a better question??

I never said I don't have a bow. I do, a traditional recurve I've had for 40 years that I shoot instinctively (no sights or any other new-fangled additions ). That's my choice. Actually, I should say I used to shoot it and hunt with it ----- but now I've got a buggered up elbow and can't draw it. I couldn't draw a compound either (but I never had much use for them anyway ), so when I lived back east I bought a crossbow so I could enjoy hunting for 3 months, note: gun season was only a week where I lived then, and crossbows are classified as archery equipment.

Hope that answers your question satisfactorily .
Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
well cal, you're johnny come lately i guess. the last several threads on this topic were not closed and the last one which was the first in a while was not closed. however if you read it, youd know i didnt start it. the reason this one took over is because someone asked for a poll. your first couple of posts made me ask myself, why are you even saying anything if you have nothing to add to the discussion? you then made an attempt at sounding like you had a point, but the ludicrous ideas made no sense. toward the last post though, you expressed a valid opinion and i respect that. you think a crossbow is easier to learn and......are you ready.......I AGREE. you dont want them included as you think someone would be less of a hunter for it. well, ok. you are entitled to your opinion as i am to mine. i have no personal interest one way or the other......i just dont like it when guys make an uninformed opinion based on myths. there area lot of guys who have learned a lot from these discussions, and isnt that the point of this forum?

now by saying this i have no choice but to feel sorry for you. if you think hunting is a competition, you are missing out on a lot. i cant tell you how to do it or what you should like, but if this is how you feel........wow, seriously i feel bad for you.

a guy told me last year that he was with another hunter who shot a very nice whitetail. it was over 160 and rather than just being happy for what he had done, the first words he spoke were, "Yes! That should beat Dale for this years big buck competition." i felt sorry for that guy as well when i heard that.
I know hunting is not a compatition, it was a bad analogy for sure in that respect. And among hunters I think I am especily un-competative. But how many of us use our bows in the gun season? Not very many that I know of, even those of us that tend to prefer using archery equipment. I dont realy know why that is but for lack of a better explanation is that there is a little bit of "compatition", which isnt the right word at all but I cant think of a better one, and we want it to be as well armed as the other hunters in the field. Just the same as how many of us go on backpacking trips down quad trails? Most of us go backpacking in places where quads can not go or are not permited because, yes, watching some goon do in 10 minuits by merely thumbing a throttle what it has taken me hours to accomplish does tend to ruin my enjoyment, and I dont think I'm alone here.