Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Essential Hunting Apps

Looking to see what phone apps people are using to help them along in the field. I personally only use iHunter. Seems like the equivalent app of choice in the States is onX. Haven't had much luck with onX here in the Great White North though.

Any other apps out there that are useful?
Attached Images
File Type: png imgingest-7582955125562988353.png (159.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 AM

Pair of boots, knife and a compass. When an app becomes essential to this game I'm going to quit.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:24 AM
Banned

I have iHunter but carry the paper regs in pack I agree with above post lol
Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Pair of boots, knife and a compass. When an app becomes essential to this game I'm going to quit.

Exactly!
Old 03-07-2019, 07:33 AM

UP YOUR GAME ihunter
Old 03-07-2019, 12:20 PM

I agree with the use of Ihunter.
Two other apps that I use are the Phoneskope app for taking photos while scouting. I also use Garmin's earthmate app alongside my Inreach. Great for tracking and marking areas to easily navigate back to!
Old 03-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly!

Lol. Only a pair of boots a knife and a compass?... does this mean your hunting elk with the knife or are you throwing boots at it?

The GPS features on ihunter are great but I also use it to reference topology maps and regulations.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:16 AM

Google earth, while not essential, can save hundreds of hrs/kms of scouting. Revolutionary really.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:19 AM

I love using Google earth. especially with the WMU map pack loaded. Not essential but dam handy
Old 03-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirgallagher View Post
Lol. Only a pair of boots a knife and a compass?... does this mean your hunting elk with the knife or are you throwing boots at it?

The GPS features on ihunter are great but I also use it to reference topology maps and regulations.
It means that we can actually get out, find game, and kill it, without having to resort to computers and phones to be successful. We can actually read paper maps, and we understand what range and township mean.We can actually read and understand the regulations, and we know what the Wildlife Act is, and where to find it.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:32 AM

The only thing I use I hunter for is to check land owner fields to know exactly who owns what and where I am .
I din’t Use it much however as mist of my hunting is on crown land
That and actually speaking with the land owners works very well .
Cat
Old 03-08-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
It means that we can actually get out, find game, and kill it, without having to resort to computers and phones to be successful. We can actually read paper maps, and we understand what range and township mean.We can actually read and understand the regulations, and we know what the Wildlife Act is, and where to find it.
I can actually do all that also ,but its no different than when smokless powder came out ,scopes ,gps, paper maps , I could go on why not use the tools that are out there now , Nothing wrong with that as long as you have the basic skills IMO.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from. The idea of needing or using a piece of technology to hunt is a bit sickening and takes away from the idea of the rugged manly hunting experience. BUT, its also super useful. I see ihunter as a centralized location that houses all the documentation/information you need for a hunt (land ownership info, regulations, topology maps, crown land locations, boundary information etc..). Plus, as that information changes year after year, it also gets updated on the app. Not looking to argue, just saying ��
Old 03-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I can actually do all that also ,but its no different than when smokless powder came out ,scopes ,gps, paper maps , I could go on why not use the tools that are out there now , Nothing wrong with that as long as you have the basic skills IMO.
The point I was making, is that while technology has made things more convenient, and more efficient, there are no apps that are "essential".
Old 03-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
the point i was making, is that while technology has made things more convenient, and more efficient, there are no apps that are "essential".
iyo
Old 03-08-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
iyo
The OP specified "phone apps" , when myself and many other people started hunting , there were no phone apps, yet we were just as successful as hunters are today. So just how "essential" can phone apps be for hunting?
Old 03-08-2019, 02:48 PM

I also really like iHunter.
I like it for WMU boundries and park boundries.

Pretty handy.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
The OP specified "phone apps" , when myself and many other people started hunting , there were no phone apps, yet we were just as successful as hunters are today. So just how "essential" can phone apps be for hunting?

True, I used the word "essential" in the title of the original post. Probably not the best word for what I was trying to get feedback on which was, in the original post's body, "Looking to see what phone apps people are using to help them along in the field".
Old 03-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Ihunter is very valuable and is the best hunting app we have so far. I cant imagine any reason why you would not want that app when your in the field or planning a hunt.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I guess if you never try them you will never know ,I find my ihunter is very ESSENTIAL to me . Does not mean I don't know how to read map and compass.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I played around with ihunter when it first came out. I still have it and use 1 feature of it only.
When I get to camp in big game season, often I'm hunting solo, so I text my wife and my buddies the location of camp. It sends them an email with gps coordinates.

If something happens or no one has heard from me, it's an easy way to forward accurate info to authorities if needed.

If nothing else it's decent peace of mind for the wife when this old dude goes hunting by himself.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:12 PM

When I am curled up in my bivy bag and it is cold, dark and 7pm; I find the Netflix app extremely useful.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Default Essential hunting apps

Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook mobile?

Oops sorry, wrong thread

Last edited by smorrison; 03-08-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Slightly funnier, maybe
Old 03-08-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Bye bye.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Is that game on the release sites you are were complaining about being hard to find earlier this year?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
When I am curled up in my bivy bag and it is cold, dark and 7pm; I find the Netflix app extremely useful.
When im at my cabin curled up in my bed Netflix is very essential
Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I can do all that a. Well but it is nice not having to drag county maps , Ariel photos , or a compass around if you have a phone , Which most people take with them these days .
I never have used it for the wildlife act, regulations or anything else , esiecially fir finding game and killing it
It is not essential but it is handy
Cat
Old 03-08-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Is that game on the release sites you are were complaining about being hard to find earlier this year?
I don't have a problem finding birds in the field, and if I did, a phone app isn't going to make it any easier to find them.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem finding birds in the field, and if I did, a phone app isn't going to make it any easier to find them.
Sure would make finding the release sites easier to find.

However your incorrrect an app could make it very easy to find them. We do a lot of preseason scouting using apps such as google earth and cross referencing it to WMU and landowner maps. That app comes in very handy when we are in the field and want to see if we can find somewhere we may want to hunt elsewhere. It’s like a GPS that’s much more user friendly and has more features.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sure would make finding the release sites easier to find.

However your incorrrect an app could make it very easy to find them. We do a lot of preseason scouting using apps such as google earth and cross referencing it to WMU and landowner maps. That app comes in very handy when we are in the field and want to see if we can find somewhere we may want to hunt elsewhere. It’s like a GPS that’s much more user friendly and has more features.
As I posted, phone apps can make is easier to find locations, but the OP used the word "essential" in his original post, and phone apps are definitely not essential to hunt successfully. I do all of the scouting for our waterfowl group, and I always find good fields and find the landowners to obtain permission without a phone app. I also do my big game scouting without a phone app, and I always seem to do okay at finding game animals. I do use my phone to find locations in the city, and for some highway travel, but again, it makes things quicker and easier, but it isn't essential, as I managed before I had a cell phone. In fact anyone over 40 years old managed before smart phones and phone apps were available . The year before last year, myself and another AO member helped a friend on his moose hunt. He was using IHunter, so I have seen it in use, and it seemed to be handy, but I happen to prefer paper county maps that I can mark up and write notes on as I scout. Every year , I obtain a new county map , but I still refer back to previous years maps/notes in some cases.

Tags
applications, apps, gps, iphone, phone