Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-02-2016, 11:29 AM

Default barrel cool down question

I didn't want to derail the barrel break-in post, so I'll ask the question in a new thread. When on the bench, how long do you let the barrel cool between shots? Between groups? And, how many shots would your typical group be? The reason I ask is I would think over heating a barrel would have a direct adverse effect on barrel break in.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:36 AM

Depends on the rifle for me. My hunting guns get 3 shot groups as quickly as I can shoot accurately. My heavy barrels go 5 shots normally. I like my hunting gun to get as close to ambient as I can before another group. Heavy barrel I go by touch, a little warm doesn't concern me then.

I think barrel break in is over rated, but to each their own. I clean them before firing and after first time out. After that I clean as required.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:37 AM

Barrel dimensions, and ambiant temperature, skew the setting of any hard and fast numbers.
A thin mountain contour barrel on a 25 degree day will seemingly heat faster, but also seemingly cool quicker than say a heavy contour barrel.

If you are paying attention to stuff like your grip, bag position, or even wind, you'll be respecting the barrel temperature, well enough.

It's not a rapid fire mad minute your trying to accomplish, it's a barrel break in or load development.

3 shots is fine for a hunting rifle. You can do 5 shot groups if you want. Just don't be living your life on a single group.

Your ability to touch the barrel is a very good indicator of whether your barrel is too hot. Too hot to comfortably hold, is most likely too hot to shoot more..... Unless.....

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 01-02-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Banned

Generally speaking, I don't have a pre-determined time between shots or groups, too many variables. I let the barrel tell me when enough is enough.

A couple of days ago, it was -6 to -8 when we were shooting over the AmmoCam. Even with a sporter contour barrel, one could shoot one right after the other and the barrels barely got warm to the touch. We also had 3 guns on the firing line to alternate should the need arise, but it didn't matter. This time of year is great for sending much lead down range.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:59 AM

I go with "too hot to touch comfortably just forward of the chamber - too hot to shoot". Probably the best advice would be to start checking after 3 shots, and when it starts feeling "hot" to touch, give it some time to cool. This advice does not apply to semi's chambered in 7.62 X 39, which I believe is amended to ..."provide for cooling when the stock starts to smoulder."
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM

When working up loads or testing I shoot 3 shot groups with no cool down period.Then I let the barrel cool to the touch and fire the next 3 rounds.It all depends on heat and such of that day. Might take 10 minutes for a thinner barrel to cool down..Also helps to turn the rifle so that even if a slight breeze is present it can blow thru the barrel and chamber and speed cooling.

Just my .02 worth..
Old 01-02-2016, 12:24 PM

When you can't get your scope focused on the target anymore it's time to let it sit a while.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Factory sporter barrels are where you will need to pay the most attention. Especially button rifled. I know some guns will shoot 2 and throw the 3rd if shot quickly. And some do fine. It's all about knowing your gun's quirks. With hunting rifles pay special attention to that first, cold bore shot. Bolt open and facing the wind if there is any. If no wind I lean it up against something to let the heat rise out of the barrel.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:46 PM

When the barrel and the scope feel the same, to the touch using the back of my hand, it is cool enough.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
When you can't get your scope focused on the target anymore it's time to let it sit a while.
Laughing.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-02-2016, 02:54 PM

The cartridge your shooting plays a big part in barrel temp. A 7mm mag loaded to the max will warm the barrel up much faster than a 7mm Mauser or 7mm-08. Same with the barrel, a heavy barrel will warm slower than a light weight hunting rifle barrel. It will also take longer to cool.
Believe it or not, pointing your rifle into the wind with the action open will cool it faster than pointing it cross wind, the airflow cools the steel from the inside as well as the outside. Some target shooters have a small air pump and pump cool air down the barrel to cool it off on warm days.
It also helps immensely on a warm sunny day to put your rifle in the shade to let it cool. Knee high grass in the shade is also much cooler near the ground than short grass and I'll lay my rifle in there to cool it on a really hot day. Maybe not a good idea with a camo gun though....
There's far too many variables to set any hard and fast rules for time to warm up and cool down, you need to go by feel.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:58 PM

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/instant-.../6000147014707

-Billy Molls
Old 01-02-2016, 03:34 PM

I use an infrared thermometer to figure that out... No guessing...
Old 01-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I use an infrared thermometer to figure that out... No guessing...
I have thought about using one as well. Would work awesome.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Banned

I embrace technology when needed, but in this case isn't it a bit over the top? Touch and feel works wonders.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I embrace technology when needed, but in this case isn't it a bit over the top? Touch and feel works wonders.
I already had one for other projects including engine maintenance and repair. Costs me nothing but maybe a battery every few years to toss it in the range bag... It's great for load development. No guessing about the barrel temp...
Old 01-02-2016, 07:09 PM

One more thing. A barrel will invariably cool quicker at the muzzle than where it touches the stock or increases to a larger diameter near the receiver. For best results, you want the barrel to be the same temp from muzzle to action.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I already had one for other projects including engine maintenance and repair. Costs me nothing but maybe a battery every few years to toss it in the range bag... It's great for load development. No guessing about the barrel temp...
The scanning array of most industrial devices is far too wide to scan something as narrow as a rifle barrel.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:00 PM

That's why you hold it right on the barrel...
Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's why you hold it right on the barrel...
Orky Dorky.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:08 PM

Another "measurement" option might be a "meat probe thermometer" ... Just insert the probe down the muzzle end.