Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2015, 04:59 PM

Default Teach me about high velocity airguns

other than the usual pre teen plinking I don't really know much about air guns. I know there are PCP air guns and the like that are pretty powerful, but can I get an 800+ fps air rifle that I don't need a tank and whatnot for? Where would I find them? do they come in calibers other than .177 and .22?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-31-2015, 05:40 PM

Default Starting point

Not sure how large you're looking to go but I know that D&L Airguns in B.C. carry a large selection of air rifles and components. I know you can get .25 cal in springers that meet or exceed the speed requirement you've specified so you could avoid the PCP route that way. In my personal experience I've dinked around with the springers on the higher speed end of things and wasn't able to achieve what I wanted. Lots of killing energy but they chewed through scopes like crazy with the reverse recoil generated. I purchased glass that was supposed to be able to handle it, tried several different mounting systems. Changed triggers. Basically spent a pile of cash and still didn't have what I wanted. Anyway, a couple of years and many efforts in futility I finally said screw it and purchased a high end PCP. It's a crazy difference and myself would recommend just going this route to anyone. You can spend as much or as little as you want but you do get what you pay for performance wise. You can get hand pumps that recharge the cylinder on the rifle directly that is considerably cheaper than buying a charge tank and fill components. If you're set on getting a larger caliber in that speed range you'll be chewing through the air pretty quick so I would say you will want a full tank but that will also be dependent on the volume of shooting you plan on doing. I purchased a 4500psi compressor and dryer as well as a low pressure dryer for my fill system which is a 4500psi carbon fibre tank. Purchased the compressor and dryer out of the states and found afterwards just by chance that I could have saved a pile of cash getting these components through Martin @ Swamp Donkey Outdoors. Whichever route you decide to go buy yourself an assortment of pellet styles and weights. Variety packs are available from different manufacturers and will save you some money finding a pill your rifle will like. Then purchase a bunch of your flavour once known as they can be hard to come by at times.

PM me if you like. Hope this gives you some direction.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:04 PM

Thank you very much Big Lou, when finances allow I think I'll get me an underlever 22 cal in the 800 range for targets and maybe small game.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 AM

Had a webley jaguar (spring, 22 cal, 800 fps)

My idea was killing power but subsonic so as not to annoy the neighbors. It was and it did, but it nearly made ME deaf in the process. Instead of the noise coming out the barrel it is a piston slamming home right beside your ear. Had to wear hearing protection anyway, never got really good accuracy, recoil would loosen every screw on the thing - had to locktite them all. Didn't even try to put a scope on, it probably would have cracked the glass.

Sold it. Use 22 lr now, and hit what I'm aiming at. Turns out the neighbors never notice anyway.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:32 PM

I had a Crosman CS5M22 .22 cal pellet rifle that was 495 fps or under. I went online to scopesandammo.com which is a Canadian site and ordered a Crosman 100/1000 piston and spring. I cleaned the factory junk out of the rifle and used a chrome moly paste to lightly lube the spring and piston with a light coating and put it back together. I shot a 2x4 in the basement and i was a 1/4 inch or so from coming out the other side. Guys online have taken a chrony to the 22 cal model after the upgrade and get right around the 800 mark and 100 fps on the 177 model.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:06 PM

I bought a Ben. Trail NP in .22, have killed a ton of grouse with it. Its accurate and won't break the bank. It's supposed to shoot over 900fps and will shoot through 3/4 plywood in my basement (learnt that the hard way).
Old 01-01-2016, 03:48 PM

I have a Diana 350 magnum in .22 cal. Close to 1000 f.p.s. Heavy as hell and hard to cock the spring. Boy is it ever accurate and fun to shoot. Top notch German quality. Keep in mind, you will need a PAL to buy anything rated over 500 fps.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:09 PM

I have a Gamo 1000, .177 and I went through 1 scope and then switch to a Bushnell Red Dot and no more problems, it is a mean squirrel killing rifle, sighted in for 25 yds, but have killed them out further.