Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
...My collecting problem is fine revolvers. You can fit more of them in a safe. I shoot maybe a quarter of what I have collected, the rest I just enjoy holding, cleaning, and looking at.
And its a darned fine collection you have too! I loved when you posted those pics. Simply awesome!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
And its a darned fine collection you have too! I loved when you posted those pics. Simply awesome!
Thanks. One of these days, I'll have to do a S&W family photo and post it too....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-30-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
I've been slowly trying to thin my collection - living by the motto "quality over quantity." Unfortunately, this just means more good guns and fewer poor ones.

I'd like to think that within the next year I will be down to two hunting rifles, but again, I found another deal two days ago...
I love this! this is how it goes for me. My problem is in the winter I have to much time on my hands and I get board and then I shop.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

I cannot think of a single solitary big game animal I have taken that I could not have taken with any other big game rifle I have owned over the years. It is quite simply not that hard.
That's a insightful comment that puts all the discussion about rifles and calibers into perspective.

I am thinking hard and would have to agree, I don't think I've ever shot a big game animal that I couldn't have taken with every other big game rifle I have owned. Interesting. Just got to hope the wife never reads this thread.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
That's a insightful comment that puts all the discussion about rifles and calibers into perspective.

I am thinking hard and would have to agree, I don't think I've ever shot a big game animal that I couldn't have taken with every other big game rifle I have owned. Interesting. Just got to hope the wife never reads this thread.
I think the vast majority of us would agree with Chuck's assertion too.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:43 AM

When I first opened this thread, I wondered why a thread about women was in the guns section...

To answer both questions, I love many...
Old 12-31-2015, 06:04 AM

Default only one gun

For many years, struggling as the sole-income earner with a young family, I had a single rifle, and a single shotgun.
My rifle was .338 winmag that took multiple elk, deer, antelope, and a single moose. The shotgun was a hand-me-down 870 wingmaster 12ga. that shot thousands of birds.
After a decade or two, the kids are gone, and things are paid off, I went on a buying spree, and filled a couple of gun cabinets to where I could never decide from day to day, which was the better gun for the job at hand!
Things are slowly coming around full circle again. I listed a large bundle of guns that hadnt seen daylight for awhile on consignment. I find myself hunting with my Blaser r8, with 3 different barrel options to cover all north american species.
The shotgun situation is still being worked out, but I can say that I am more than happy with one of my many 28 ga guns, on any given day. I shot everything from sharpies to geese with them this year. If I hadn't met up with that danged Catnthehat dude, I wouldnt have filled all those empty rifle slots in the gun room with vintage hammer guns! The crosses we have to bare!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:28 AM

Although I am not new to shooting, I am new to owning firearms.

Each and every firearm I purchase has a purpose. Although you can find car that suits most of your needs, it's hard to find one that fits all of your needs. My truck will tow my trailer, fit all my tools, but sometimes I need another foot of box length.

I like my collection, and I will expand it, but so far each of my firearms has a purpose.

My 1895 SBL is my bush gun, my 10/22 is my plinker and grouse gun. My 870 is for birds, and my SKS is there for when I want something a little more powerful than a rim fire.

I would love an all in one gun, it would fit great in my cabinet with my other guns
Old 12-31-2015, 11:46 AM

I have a .270, could never justify owning a caliber larger or smaller, I know the gun like the back of my hand and is the "go to" for everything. So far 13 different species have succumb to it everything from bear to sheep. Last year I bought my second center fire rifle ever a SAKO 25-06 finnlight specifically as a sheep hunting riffle as it is much lighter and the finnlight was 95% of everything I have ever wanted in a custom riffle. Never hunted with it yet but am excited to try it on sheep.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:05 PM

Years ago it was common for most guys to have about three guns a deer rifle ,22 and a shotgun.Wages and family committments normally dictated this and also a lot guys were mainly hunters and not shooters. My grandfather was like that a no nonsense type of guy,guns were a tool to be used to add additional food for the family.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:36 PM

I don't have a problem with either philosophy. Trying and selling provides a bit of variety and perspective on firearms and shooting. I think that hunting with an instrument of 100 years ago i.e. the lever action could provide a bit of a nostalgic ancestral vibe as well. I really like seeing people at gun shows with collections of ancient firearms and deep knowledge of their subjects.

I once got to fire a Brown Bess via a black powder enthusiast. It was like opening a window into history.

Some of us are pure hunters, some of us are more target shooters, some of us are reloaders and tinkerers, some of us are historians. We all get something different and satisfying out of this broad pastime.

Here's to you and yours for the New Year, everyone.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthygeezer View Post
I don't have a problem with either philosophy. Trying and selling provides a bit of variety and perspective on firearms and shooting. I think that hunting with an instrument of 100 years ago i.e. the lever action could provide a bit of a nostalgic ancestral vibe as well. I really like seeing people at gun shows with collections of ancient firearms and deep knowledge of their subjects.

I once got to fire a Brown Bess via a black powder enthusiast. It was like opening a window into history.

Some of us are pure hunters, some of us are more target shooters, some of us are reloaders and tinkerers, some of us are historians. We all get something different and satisfying out of this broad pastime.

Very well said.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:47 AM

I have had hundreds of rifles in lots of diffrent chamberings
Customs, kimbers, Coopers and the like
Now my safe has narrowed down to just a few
My 54cal cap and ball
New ruger#1(patiotly waiting for it) in 257weatherby
Custom 280ai mountain rifle
Old Husky side by side 12 gaudge
I am moving towards only owning falling blocks
Have looked for a 300 H&H in a number1 on and off. Maybe have to get a custom done with tree bark carving wood and custom barrel
Old 01-01-2016, 01:48 PM

I think that the factors of time and money are the biggest influence on how many guns a person has and how often they shoot them.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthygeezer View Post