Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2015, 12:48 AM

Post The love of One or the Joy of Many

For many of us rifles are far more than just tools, their exquisite works of art, engineering and passion. As of late, I've noticed a growing trend towards larger and larger hunting rifle collections; at the urging of firearm manufacturers and their counterparts in the media. I know I'm certainly guilty of following this trend. With new acquisitions every year, I find myself struggling at the beginning of every season. The decision of which rifle should be taken on what hunt; and of course the ever present need too make sure each and every gun is sighted in with a decent stockpile of ammunition.

However, after reading several hunting journals from the early 1900's I stumbled upon the notion of having only 1 big game rifle. Not just any rifle, but a rifle perfectly tailored to every whim of the shooter. This would lead to an intimate knowledge of the gun, and all it's glorious quirks. The rifle had become an essential part of the hunter; a true extension of the body. This relationship allowed for the hunter to become extremely proficient in it's use and ensure that with every shot, the hunter could be sure of the placement of every round.

I was curious where all my fellow outdoorsman stand on the great "#'s" debate and the thinking behind your choosing.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:10 AM

I'd much rather have a few I really enjoy, and that I am proud to own, than a number of run of the mill guns. But this is also all relative. If I had more discretionary funds, I would have more guns that I really enjoy, and am proud to own. I have found that the trick for me is to keep flipping guns, so as to own, and experience, the ones I am particularly interested in at that point in time. Some guys enjoy owning long term. Others enjoy acquiring and experiencing, then just moving on. The trick is to find what floats your boat.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:25 AM

I too have had these same thoughts (OP). I ended up selling off everything that I don't need (I kept an o/u bird gun, muzzle loader and .22) and I decided to allocate the money to optics, and customizing my already really great tikka in .308.
Its been a fun journey, deciding how I want the tikka to be, and overtime I go hunting, I get to carry my favourite firearm. I win either way, days in the bush are just that much better. My $0.02.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

one cant do it all so you need a few practical ones to get the job done!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 AM

I have hunted wit only one big game rifle for a few years now, and will likely stay that way.
It was a custom job, built to my specs, fits me perfectly, and is accurate.
As for shotguns, I have a couple that I could use for everything but enjoy shooting them all.
I could stay with my one hammer double if I had t however.
Cat
Old 12-30-2015, 06:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have hunted wit only one big game rifle for a few years now, and will likely stay that way.
It was a custom job, built to my specs, fits me perfectly, and is accurate.
As for shotguns, I have a couple that I could use for everything but enjoy shooting them all.
I could stay with my one hammer double if I had t however.
Cat
one hammer double...pics....what is this mystical slayer of dragons you speak of?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2015, 07:05 AM

/2015%20Alberta%20Bird%20Safari/Westley%20and%20Bird_zpst9ar8gah.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
This is my main bird gun
Mid 1800's Wesley Richards
I can kill anything wit it depending n the shot I use
For waterfowl I use Bismuth or Nice Shot
Cat

If I absolutely had to use steel however and modern ammo, it would be Pedersoli
La Bohemienne-it's rated for steel.

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-30-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 AM

My late friend said it best. Apply it as you wish.

"I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD"

-Billy Molls
Old 12-30-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
My late friend said it best. Apply it as you wish.

"I know of individuals who have purchased or traded their way into anywhere from 20 to 100 "elk rifles" over the last 30 + years. Most of these rifles end up getting experimented with at the range for a while, then traded off on something else. In other cases, those rifles get placed in the back of safe and they're forgotten about, while new "elk" or "all-around" rifles get added to the front row. Most of these rifles are seldom or never hunted with, and the way it works out, some of these guys have gone through 10 or more "elk" rifles for every bull they've actually put on the ground.

And I don't mean to sound too critical here, because in years gone by I've done the same sort of rifle recycling myself, waiting for the good ol' State of Confusion to generously throw me a bone and issue a resident elk tag via the drawing process.

I found that the best plan is to invest in one or two good and reliable rifles, stick with them, and spend the rest of your spare time working out, planning hunts, and hunting. If you can't draw a tag and hunt elk every year at home, put in for other states. Either way, the rifle preoccupation is an inane, resource-draining dead-end............

AD"
That about sums it up.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 AM
Banned

i still haven't found the perfect rifle. so i keep going, passing over what other people would believe to be the perfect rifle if only for a short time.

one day i'll find it or build it and until then i'll just keep going.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:09 AM

Ive sold a lot of my cheaper end rifles I bought when I was younger and didn't have the income I do now. I have been replacing them with higher end guns I will have for a long time. My big game rifles have a reason for being in my safe. They can all be used for any animal or any hunt but are mostly specific to the critter and terrain.

my Remington lss 257wby is my go to deer rifle, at 9.5lbs scoped its not a mtn rifle but I did use it on a backpack pack mtn goat hunt and was successful.

Christensen arms extreme in 270wsm is my go to mtn rifle, its very light and has a 22" barrel so it fits nicely strapped to a backpack for sheep hunting. My wife uses it a lot now and has killed bears and pigs and deer with it. Ive used it for coyotes,deer,caribou,sheep,moose,elk

stainless winchester m70 crf in 35 whelen is my elk and moose and bear gun. Only custom I own at the moment and will never leave my possessions . Its a hammer and stupid accurate.

I have a few older rifles that where passed down from family members that will never be sold either but really never get used. Im content with my few rifles as they do the job for me.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:15 AM

Might be a good idea to unload several...Wonder what the wait time is for an Echols rifle.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
stainless winchester m70 crf in 35 whelen is my elk and moose and bear gun. Only custom I own at the moment and will never leave my possessions . Its a hammer and stupid accurate.
that sounds like an amazing rifle.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:36 AM

Well about 10 years ago I decided to sell al my rifle and pick up one good all around rifle that I could use for everything. I am blind out of my right eye and all those rifles were right hand. This gave me the reason to buy one left handed rifle for everything. I chose the 30-06. This worked fine for a few years, then it all started. I thought I needed a .243, so I piked up a Tikka . Then a friend gifted me a Winchester94 . I fell in love with the 30-30 lever. So then I picked up a Marlin in 35Rem, then came a Winchester 88, then 3 Savage 99's. Now I want a 444Marlin. I do believe I have a sickness, a disease if you will that pops its ugly head up when I spend time on these forums. I love the concept of one rifle. But I also love the different rifles and what they offer, especially the beautiful woods that can be found on older guns. I also like older guns for their history and the hunting stories that would accompany it. I too found myself asking which one do I take out today. Very frustrating standing in front of the safe, staring in and have to choose one for that particular outing.
I will be selling a few 99's in order to fund a new rifle. I can't win!!!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Well about 10 years ago I decided to sell al my rifle and pick up one good all around rifle that I could use for everything. I am blind out of my right eye and all those rifles were right hand. This gave me the reason to buy one left handed rifle for everything. I chose the 30-06. This worked fine for a few years, then it all started. I thought I needed a .243, so I piked up a Tikka . Then a friend gifted me a Winchester94 . I fell in love with the 30-30 lever. So then I picked up a Marlin in 35Rem, then came a Winchester 88, then 3 Savage 99's. Now I want a 444Marlin. I do believe I have a sickness, a disease if you will that pops its ugly head up when I spend time on these forums. I love the concept of one rifle. But I also love the different rifles and what they offer, especially the beautiful woods that can be found on older guns. I also like older guns for their history and the hunting stories that would accompany it. I too found myself asking which one do I take out today. Very frustrating standing in front of the safe, staring in and have to choose one for that particular outing.
I will be selling a few 99's in order to fund a new rifle. I can't win!!!
It is called Rifle Looneyism. Unfortunately, or fortunately, as the case may be, there is no known cure!

R.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I disagree.

What hunt could I not do with a Kimber Montana chambered in 280ai?
t-rex, elephant, other thick skinned game, flying birds.

doesn't leave much meat on a gopher either

Last edited by fish_e_o; 12-30-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I disagree.

What hunt could I not do with a Kimber Montana chambered in 280ai?
This now becomes the case of because you can, it doesn't mean you should.
The Kimber Montana is a fine rifle, and the 280AI is a fine cartridge.

For every situation that one feels it will work, there will be equal situations where one feels it doesn't.

Bottom line is, if it works for you, and you're happy with it, does anything else really matter?

R.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post

For every situation that one feels it will work, there will be equal situations where one feels it doesn't.

Bottom line is, if it works for you, and you're happy with it, does anything else really matter?

R.
What creature in Alberta "should" you not hunt with a 280AI?
Old 12-30-2015, 10:08 AM

9 years ago my new year's resolution was to kick the smokes. I bought many guns with the money saved as an incentive.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 AM

I have been hunting big game with one rifle fir the last several years not because I have to I simply do not see the need to hunt with multiple rifles , small varmints like coyotes and foxes aside .
Cat
Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 AM

Owning more guns than one uses is a condition that creeps forward as one ages. Like most, I started with some pretty basic tools that covered my needs (because they were what I could afford)...a single shot Cooey 22LR, a Cooey break action 20 gauge, and a Marlin 30-30. Over time, I moved on to "second generation" guns (that I could afford) which meant some pretty basic factory jobs. Then, "obsession" spawned the third generation which involves custom actions and aftermarket barrels. I like "pretty", but sporter accuracy is my holy grail.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:

R.
Not that I would only want one gun, my point is that living in Canada it's possible to have only one rifle and not be limited to any big game animal on the continent.

I have a Winchester m70 featherweight in 280rem that seems to be incapable of missing. For the longest time I had just that one rifle and it was, and still is, like the op said, an extension of my body. I've had plenty of rifles filter through my locker since buying the m70, Tikka's, Ruger's, Weatherby's, Cooper's, Sako's, Kimber's, and in calibers from 223-300 mags, all in search of the one that can match or surpass the m70 in 280rem, but so far none have been able to do it. Although not the best in any single category, it seems the Kimber has come the closest so far. I'm hoping my latest purchase will turn out to be THE ONE. A Nula chambered in 280ai will hopefully be able to sit in the locker with the m70 featherweight for years to come.

Although not narrowed down to just one rifle I think I have it narrowed down to one caliber, .284, and more specifically the 280. I'm hoping this will keep my reloading endevore at a lower cost and higher accuracy level.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:16 AM

I've thinned down my cabinet over the past few years too, by giving rifles and shotguns to young people just taking up the sport. Along with the firearm, they get the history - stories of the guns exploits - that hopefully inspires them. With practice and patience, they too can take animals with that gun.

I'm down to one big game rifle, one 22, one black powder, one waterfowl shotgun, one upland shotgun and an over/under .22/20 gauge for grouse.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
if i was staring down the barrel at a griz i would maybe think twice. then i would shake my head and settle the cross hairs
Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
You tell me.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-30-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You tell me.
None that I can think of. I think people get way too wrapped up in ballistics and would be better off with more time simply hunting. I have a few rifles in my cabinet and choose a 6.5/284 year after year. It works. Things fall over when they get hit.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Banned

Never ever met a one rifle man that was a rifleman.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Never ever met a one rifle man that was a rifleman.
I have a father, uncles, grandfather, and great uncles that were all accomplished rifleman. All were by and large single rifle owners.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have been hunting big game with one rifle fir the last several years not because I have to I simply do not see the need to hunt with multiple rifles , small varmints like coyotes and foxes aside .
Cat
If a fella continuously hunts the same areas, for the same species, and then places limits on distances and other shoot or don't shoot scenarios, then why not hunt with just one rifle?

Again, if it works, great. Just know that it doesn't work for everyone who doesn't have those limits in place.

R.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
If a fella continuously hunts the same areas, for the same species, and then places limits on distances and other shoot or don't shoot scenarios, then why not hunt with just one rifle?

Again, if it works, great. Just know that it doesn't work for everyone who doesn't have those limits in place.

R.
I personally cannot think of a species that I would hunt or an area I could hunt in were my rifle would be the limiting factor. For me and likely 99% of the population, my skill and not the rifle is the limiting factor.