Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your leaning with reloading?
Preferentially use previously-fired brass. 41 30.15%
Mostly previously-fired, occasionally work in some unfired to replace attritional losses. 72 52.94%
Mostly unfired, but not against using previously fired. 10 7.35%
Preferentially use unfired brass. 13 9.56%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2015, 10:15 PM

I should say that I voted for the last option of unfired as I thought you were asking for a starting point.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:47 PM

I too think there was confusion caused by the question.

For the small premium, buy Lapua brass if you can. Reload it many times. No prep work necessary when new (flash holes, prime pockets, trimming, etc. Its not needed for most people's standards)

Neck size only. Anneal once in awhile, and trim when required.

Enjoy life. Don't use poor quality brass.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I should say that I voted for the last option of unfired as I thought you were asking for a starting point.
Me too

Buying brass loading them once and discarding has never crossed my mind.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:00 PM

I reload my fired brass. Sometimes its new brass, sometimes factory ammo brass then reload it, sometimes used brass. The one thing I try to avoid is mixed brand brass. I have 444 brass that came from factory ammo many years ago. The stuff seems indestructible.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Think of it as handloading, rather than reloading, if it makes it less confusing for you.

When I start loading for a new rifle, I start with new brass, and I use that brass until it is no longer suitable for loading.
x2
Old 12-31-2015, 08:15 AM

I have no interest in saving the environment over used and abused brass cases if that's what you are getting at.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Gone Hunting

I am reloading for hunting accuracy. I am not a target shooter, I am Hunter.
Reloading allows me to use bullets that are (or were) not available in factory offering.
Reloading gives me reason to practice more to be better shot.
Reloading my own ammunition is like making my own Fly's and catching fish with my own creation.

I mostly buy factory ammo and use them as a practice load then I have once fired brass fire formed for given rifle.
In same cases this is less expensive then buying new brass and adding all other components: primers, powder and bullet to have fire formed cases.

For some cartridges I bought "stash" of new brass as they are becoming less popular or cost of loaded ammo is prohibitive.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-01-2016, 03:23 AM

When I get a new rifle, I usually try to buy some new brass to go with it unless I already have that caliber. I then reload it till it wears out or is lost. When it comes time to introduce new brass to that gun then I always use the new stuff to experiment a new load or to tweak some change with, then put it with the rest for use in hunting and it for my target shooting. I just don't like to mix unfired with fired brass as it seems to print to a slightly different place. I don't mix brands of different brass, or primers together for the same reasons I wouldn't try to use the same weight of bullet but of different brands, It just don't work out for the accuracy department.
I have some 7mm Mag Rem brass and 338 Win Mag Rem brass that have over ten reloadings on them. Sometimes I can only get 4 or 5 reloadings before it is time to toss it. What was the question again? lol

Jim

Last edited by Halfton; 01-01-2016 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Use it till it is showing signs of wear or primer pockets get loose.
X2 I "handload" primarily because of economical reasons. I love to shoot and with three teenagers, bills, truck payments, slow work. $25 (minimum) for a box of factory ammo is a lot. I often go thru 100+ rounds at my bench in various rifles. tailoring handloads to a particular firearms to achieve the best velocity/accuracy is almost an added bonus. Plus the ability to create loads not available on the market is a big plus eg: 62gr VG for my 243win or 208gr AMAX for my 300 WBY. I'm not a bench rest shooter nor a long range fanatic (mind ya I often stretch out my 300 to grand) but I know I'll never shoot bug hole groups at ridiculous ranges using the mixed brass. But if it's sub minute of target (coyote, mule deer, gopher) I'm happy. I love the smell of gun powder in the morning. Smells like freedom