Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your leaning with reloading?
Preferentially use previously-fired brass. 41 30.15%
Mostly previously-fired, occasionally work in some unfired to replace attritional losses. 72 52.94%
Mostly unfired, but not against using previously fired. 10 7.35%
Preferentially use unfired brass. 13 9.56%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2015, 02:43 PM

Default How often is reloading really reloading?

Goofy thread title, but I'd always conceived of reloading as, well, a kind of recycling. From that understanding, I'd asked in a thread a short while back about which commercial practice loads to move towards if reloading plans were included in the consideration.

As I look more into this though I can see that there are some that use previously fired brass, some that only use new unfired brass, and some that fall in between. I can understand the motivations behind grabbing up previously fired brass and reusing it, and looking at what's involved in case preparation I'm beginning to understand why some prefer unfired brass. The idea is growing that the activity is probably more accurately termed something like 'custom loading' and that some custom loaders engage in 'reloading.'

Just curious what the show of hands is on how this breaks down.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:55 PM

I prefer to use new Lapua brass when developing loads for a rifle. Once I have determined my max pressure I then prefer once fired Lapua brass. I will occasionally reload once fired factory brass if new Lapua is not available. Range brass stays at the range, you never know how many times it's been fired.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:02 PM

There's always one guy who messes up a nice, tidy poll.

Kidding - thanks for that SY. Makes sense when you put it like that. Do you ever use the Lapua beyond two firings?
Old 12-23-2015, 03:19 PM

When I start working up loads for a rifle I use brand new brass, and do them in batches of 100.
That way the loads can stay with the rifle, and the rifle the loads belong to is marked on each box so they don't get mixed up.
At one time I was shooting four different 308's and 4 different 223's from my locker alone, and loading for others as well.
Not a good thing to mix up neck sized brass on the firing line!
Cat
Old 12-23-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
When I start working up loads for a rifle I use brand new brass, and do them in batches of 100.
Thanks, cat. Once you've got it worked up, do you work in previously-fired or just always stick with unfired?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:00 PM

Odd question indeed.

My 308 Lapua brass has over 14 firings on it.

My 45's are likely around 8

38spl around 4-5.

Why buy new brass every time?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:11 PM

I prefer new rifle new brass, I have had some problems using brass from one rifle to another. Recently I full length sized some 9.3x62 brass I had been using in a Husky for a new Tikka T3, after sizing I noticed a ring around the bottom of the neck, didn't like the way it looked, discarded the works and bought new brass. I expect to get at least 10 loading out of the new brass by neck sizing only.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:11 PM

I imagine some of the 'new only' adherents will probably lay it out more clearly, but from posts/blogs I've seen the thinking involves two areas - cost and consistency. The value of one's time and effort in the case prep, from what I've seen, is felt to be greater than the cost of going with unfired brass. Consistency relates to every load being worked up being built on the same foundation.

There's probably more, but that's what I've seen so far.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:13 PM

Think of it as handloading, rather than reloading, if it makes it less confusing for you.

When I start loading for a new rifle, I start with new brass, and I use that brass until it is no longer suitable for loading.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:17 PM

I like to start with a bag of 50 unfired brass and keep reloading them for as long as is reasonable.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolHammer View Post
Thanks, cat. Once you've got it worked up, do you work in previously-fired or just always stick with unfired?
Once my brass is fire formed to a particular rifle the brass is reloaded continually .
Case prep fir my hunting ammo is not do neatly as involved as it is fir my match rifles , BTW. I see absolutely no need to turn necks weigh brass and uniform primer pockets in a rifle that is going to be shot at an animal the size of a deer .
Cat
Old 12-23-2015, 04:29 PM

If its the headstamp of brass, I currently use, you betchya, I'll load em up, even if they are once fired range brass.
After one loading they are as custom to your chamber as any brass ever fired in that rifle.
Here's some groups from range brass on initial firings.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-23-2015, 05:09 PM

I buy new Nosler brass for the hunting rifles and Winchester for the coyote rifle. I load each in 100 round batches until they are showing signs of wear then open new boxes.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:29 PM

So I have a question for your question. Do you reload? Curious as it is a very weird thought process to think that people would shoot a piece of brass twice and throw it out.

I buy new brass. I do all the prep work and then stick with that brass until I need new brass from repeated firings. I get many firings from that brass and I keep track of the times I have reloaded those cases.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Lots of different opinions, I don't like new brass (although I have not tried much Lapua). I prefer brass that I have shot then partial resized if using in the same rifle or full length re sized and trimmed if needed if used in a different gun.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:19 PM

Default Brass

I usually buy bags of 50 and separate out to boxes of 20 and sleeves of 10. Last year I bought my first batch of Lapua brass. Quality was exceptional, and the groups improved so purchased another 100 for my son and others I load for. Curious about the PRVI ( PPU ) brass. When I get a new rifle I buy one box of factory loads, last time Nosler Match. They are still in use. We are still using Federal blue box from when my son got his HB TIKKA. I rate Lapua 1, Remington 2, Federal 3 and Winchester 4.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
I usually buy bags of 50 and separate out to boxes of 20 and sleeves of 10. Last year I bought my first batch of Lapua brass. Quality was exceptional, and the groups improved so purchased another 100 for my son and others I load for. Curious about the PRVI ( PPU ) brass. When I get a new rifle I buy one box of factory loads, last time Nosler Match. They are still in use. We are still using Federal blue box from when my son got his HB TIKKA. I rate Lapua 1, Remington 2, Federal 3 and Winchester 4.

I never purchase factory centerfire loads anymore.

I used to rate Winchester # 2 and Federal #4, but with Winchester quality deteriorating recently, I agree with your ratings.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
There's always one guy who messes up a nice, tidy poll.

Kidding - thanks for that SY. Makes sense when you put it like that. Do you ever use the Lapua beyond two firings?
Use it till it is showing signs of wear or primer pockets get loose.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Do you ever use the Lapua beyond two firings?
I usually get 10 to 20 loadings out of Lapua brass, depending on the cartridge, and the load.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
So I have a question for your question. Do you reload? Curious as it is a very weird thought process to think that people would shoot a piece of brass twice and throw it out
Nope. Totally new to all this stuff.

As I mentioned in the OP, it came as a surprise to me that 'reloading' was a broad road - figured it was just one thing up to that point. About the two firings thing, I was just clarifying my understanding of something smokingyotes had said as stopping at two firings struck me as unusual, which is why I inquired.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:10 PM

I have moved almost exclusively to Lapua brass. Of course, I always start new and track the number of reloads. I generally anneal between 6 - 10 reloads depending on the cartridge and how hot I am loading...and whether I am NK or FL resizing. I believe that regular annealing produces more consistent neck tension. I am not loading any magnums, so 20 - 30 reloads would be typical. Except for 30BR which always passes 30. When I was using Fed Gold Medal 308 Win, I never got a split neck prior to 13 reloads with yellow brass, or 11 with the nickel plated.
I should also mention that I am not "over working" necks because most of my barrels have "tight" necks, and I am using bushings to resize case necks.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Nope. Totally new to all this stuff.

As I mentioned in the OP, it came as a surprise to me that 'reloading' was a broad road - figured it was just one thing up to that point. About the two firings thing, I was just clarifying my understanding of something smokingyotes had said as stopping at two firings struck me as unusual, which is why I inquired.
Don't think I ever stated that I only load my brass twice.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Of course, I always start new and track the number of reloads.
Are you open to talking a little more about that, 260Rem? I'm curious what your tracking system looks like. As Cat alludes above, it sounds as if can become complex quite quickly with multiple rifles, various loads, etc. Wondering what a sensible organizational system looks like.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Are you open to talking a little more about that, 260Rem? I'm curious what your tracking system looks like. As Cat alludes above, it sounds as if can become complex quite quickly with multiple rifles, various loads, etc. Wondering what a sensible organizational system looks like.
Each rifle gets its own cartridge box. Every load is marked within. Meticulous organization is key.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Don't think I ever stated that I only load my brass twice.
No, you're right - you didn't. It was this that I took literally and obviously misunderstood: "Once I have determined my max pressure I then prefer once fired Lapua brass."

Apologies for the misunderstanding.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:12 PM

This shows a 6 Dasher fired from a BAT action wearing a #4 Kreiger barrel. Annealed on 20th reload, currently fired 22 times.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
This shows a 6 Dasher fired from a BAT action wearing a #4 Kreiger barrel. Annealed on 20th reload, currently fired 22 times.
Considering your previous employ, you have terrible penmanship.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:22 PM

Berger - spoiled by secretaries ...in the old days we called them "spell check"
Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Doesn't get much simpler & easier than that.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:15 PM

I had a spread sheet done up on the computer for tracking and cataloging my shotgun ad rifle loads, but found that I much prefer a card or tape in the boxes and a three ring bnder fr logging my loads- old school guess.
I find it much easier , especially for logging stuff at the range.
Cat