Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 AM

Default Leica CRF 1600 rangefinder

Anybody know what units of measure the leica crf1600 uses for barometric pressure?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:49 AM

Ever thought of reading the owners Manual? Even if you don't own one they are available on line.

for distance/temperature/atmospheric pressure either meters/
Celsius/millibar or yards/Fahrenheit/InHg (Inches of
Mercury)
Old 10-03-2015, 12:21 PM

I have a 1600-B and Geovid HD-B and Kestrel w/ AB.
From memory,
The barometric pressure the Leica units display is actual measured pressure often called 'station pressure' and they do not display the normally calculated 'SLP' or 'sea level pressure' equivalent which is what is normally reported in general or aviation weather reports.
The units depend on measurement system selected, imperial reports inches of mercury, (IIRC metric reports in Milibars)
The units also report temperature in F or C degrees depending on measurement system selected.
The software uses the measured pressure and temp to calculate 'density altitude' which it then uses with the 'slope angle measurement' to calculate a 'ballistic solution', which can be displayed as 'hold over', or scope 'come-up' clicks, or 'equivalent horizontal range'.

IMHE the range finder software is very good but the ballistic calculator is somewhat limited for maximum range (~750 yds?) that it will calculate a ballistic solution. The 1600-B contains 12? typical ballistic profiles which can be selected in 'setup'. The HD-B also includes a micro SD card which can be custom configured for your actual ammunition ballistic profile.

Comparing the actual atmospheric measurements of the 1600-B, HD-B and Kestrel, I found that the 1600-B and Kestrel were very close but my HD-B consistently measured temp ~4-5 F degrees cooler than the others. I suspect this is a calibration problem but do not know if it can be adjusted. The pressure measurements all agreed very closely. I have not determined how much the temp measurement variability will affect the ballistic solution.

IMHO the Kestrel is a far more capable measurement and calculation tool which considers many more factors and IIRC will return a ballistic solution out to 6000 yds.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:38 PM

Thanks qwert, that makes sense about the atmosphereic pressures. The users manual doesnt give any reference. The reading I was getting this morning was 10.23, and I wasnt sure what it was telling me, but now it makes sense. Mine is a crf 1600 so the ballistics info is just about useless.
What kind of ballistics calculators do you guys like using. I am using strelok, but if there is a better one out there let me know.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:55 PM

How is the ranging aspect of those machines? can you range a tree or whatever at 1000m? Could care less about the ballistic software, how is the actual ranging performance? I know they advertise 1600 but I don't believe it. I need a new uit and they quit making the terrapins
Old 10-03-2015, 06:48 PM

I have a Leica lrf 1200 that's about 6 years old and I have ranged aspen trees at 1187 yards free hand. They are unreal units.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 1 View Post
Thanks qwert, that makes sense about the atmosphereic pressures. The users manual doesnt give any reference. The reading I was getting this morning was 10.23, and I wasnt sure what it was telling me, but now it makes sense. Mine is a crf 1600 so the ballistics info is just about useless. .
My apologies, I assumed the -B model, I have no experience with the plain no -B model, but as Dean said, when all else fails RTFM.

The concepts of 'station pressure' and adjusted 'sea level pressure' will be familiar to those who have meteorologic or aviation altimetry training. The Kestrel will read station pressure if the altitude is set to 0, or will calculate SLP if it is set to station altitude.

You can manually input the Leica 1600 slope measurement and temp and pressure data into a ballistic calculator to obtain density altitude and ballistic solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
How is the ranging aspect of those machines? can you range a tree or whatever at 1000m? Could care less about the ballistic software, how is the actual ranging performance? I know they advertise 1600 but I don't believe it. I need a new uit and they quit making the terrapins
I use the Leica tools for range and slope angle, but only shorter range quick and dirty ballistics. The 1600 -B is light and easy to carry in a shirt pocket, but it has only 7x optics, and does not fit my face well, so is very hard to hold steady on a small or distant target. A brace or shooting stick helps a lot. The Geovid 10x42 HD-B are spectacular optically, and fit my eye sockets solidly, so are easy to hold steady to range a small or distant object. I have ranged a rock out to 2006 yds, but what I really like is that they will not give any range unless the software gets a good measurement, so they are very repeatable and trustable. If you take a step forward they read -1 yd with each step.

I know you appreciate quality kit and optics, and suggest you give the Geovid HD-B serious consideration. They are by far the best optic I have ever owned or used, and they continue to amaze me when viewing wildlife, distant terrain or even the moon. The Perger Prism design feels great in my hands and is very comfortable and elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 1 View Post
What kind of ballistics calculators do you guys like using. I am using strelok, but if there is a better one out there let me know.
My choice of ballistic calculator is a Kestrel 4500NV w/ Applied Ballistics.
http://kestrelmeters.com/products/ke...llistics-meter
It is small and light, is an excellent full featured weather station, and understands ballistics better than I ever will.
It measures direction and calculates and compensates for -
crosswind and headwind vectors and components
Coriolis effect
spin drift
uses G1 or G7 ballistic coefficients
comes pre-loaded for many popular LR bullets using B. Litz actual measured performance, and can utilize custom DOPE
can compensate for powder temperature performance variability
calculates trans-sonic performance and solution
IIRC max range is 6000 yds.
holds multiple bullets/guns in memory
holds multiple targets in memory
updates solutions in real time
uses a docking station to interface with my computer for storage of additional bullets & guns and for updating the firmware.
it can even calculate a ballistic solution for a moving target
and more, you can download the manual for more information

IIRC I purchased mine from
http://www.yellowee.com/b/for-the-bi...ay-ns-21852822
as they had by far the best price available. (The $589. price is fixed by the manufacturer, but they sold it and the docking station in $CA.) They also sell other top quality optics.
I tried to visit their website today
http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/
but it was off-line.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I had the unit out today. Steadied the rangefinder on the window of the truck and ranged some poplars at 1400 yards, give or take.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I've had great luck with my 1600. It will actually range quite a bit further than advertised. I've ranged a pickup truck at a mile no problems and small stuff out to 1000 without much issue. I quit carrying binoculars when I got my 1600 as I see no need the glass is great.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 10-04-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
I've had great luck with my 1600. It will actually range quite a bit further than advertised. I've ranged a pickup truck at a mile no problems and small stuff out to 1000 without much issue. I quit carrying binoculars when I got my 1600 as I see no need the glass is great.
I have the 1200 and agree. They are great at ranging accurately to 12 or 1300 yards as long as you get them steady. The glass is so good I no longer carry binoculars either. Most people don't see anything through their nondominat eye anyhow so the binnocualr funtion is a waste of weight and glass for most people. Too bad Leica doesn't make a 9 or 10 power version of the CRF.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:21 AM

Th thing will range barns and such at 2500-3000 yards on a good day. I think humidity makes a big difference in how well it works.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 01-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Default Kestrel

I use my Leica 1600b for range finding only

I use my Kestrel 4500NV with AB for calculations.

North Pole, Alaska