Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 08:20 PM

Default My Rifle Shoots Under 1" @100M all day. Prove it.

Time to get out and get some practice. The CHALLENGE is to shoot three shots inside a target that is 1" in diameter, five times in a row...at 100 yds / Meters

Targets - must be circular with a 1" diameter. The outline of a quarter is about 1" or use stick-on dots. Target dots must be placed on a single paper panel. Distance must be 100 yds or 100M for metric shooters.
Rests - No restrictions. Anything from off-hand to lead sled.
Rifle - No restrictions.
Time - No time restrictions, so five targets in one sitting or over several days.
Posting Pictures - Post successful target panels or "close" attempts. Pic of your rifle and details if you want.

THIS IS A CHALLENGE, NOT A CONTEST. HONOR SYSTEM APPLIES. GOOD SHOOTING.

Here is a sample...The Challenge starts Sept 18. Please, no wallet groups!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 PM

Do the targets need to be numbered backasswards?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Do the targets need to be numbered backasswards?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 PM

Stupid question time. What is a wallet group?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Banned

A group someone shoot once upon a time and has carried in their wallet for the past 10 years.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 PM

My rifle does shoot under 1" all day long....the problem is that I do not....
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM

I always shoot right to left ... sometimes that is the only way I can distinguish myself in a crowd. The target I used as an example was one I shot today ... To get some rule clarification in the CGN Challenge ... Which wants the days numbered. No numbering is required for the AO version. As long as you can count to five, you will not be asked to count backwards ...don't worry.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 09-17-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
A group someone shoot once upon a time and has carried in their wallet for the past 10 years.
I lost that wallet.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Stupid question time. What is a wallet group?
A wallet group is one or more that you have been saving (in your wallet), to show off from time to time. One thing that usually happens with these challenges, is that somebody drags up a single group or two they shot when all the stars lined up ... and try to include it as an entry. That will be difficult to do here as the requirement is to show five 1" diameter targets with three shots indies each target dot.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
My rifle does shoot under 1" all day long....the problem is that I do not....
There is a remedy for that ... Get out and shoot this challenge. Practice will deliver results.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 PM

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:15 PM

Can I try this with my 22-250? My 30-06 and I wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Time to get out and get some practice. The CHALLENGE is to shoot three shots inside a target that is 1" in diameter, five times in a row...at 100 yds / Meters

Targets - must be circular with a 1" diameter. The outline of a quarter is about 1" or use stick-on dots. Target dots must be placed on a single paper panel. Distance must be 100 yds or 100M for metric shooters.
Rifle - No restrictions.
Time - No time restrictions, so five targets in one sitting or over several days.
Posting Pictures - Post successful target panels or "close" attempts. Pic of your rifle and details if you want.

That's some purdy nice shooting there, 260. What's the rig (a complete decription please including rest).
Old 09-18-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Rifle - No restrictions.

Looks like by the time you got to # 5 you finally had it dialed in .. Nice shooting 260 , I can get a couple but things go down hill real fast from there . Funny how that third shot likes to wander .
Old 09-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

well it looks like i need to stop slacking and start reloading. i could only do two of those targets right now with my 8 rounds left
Old 09-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Rifle - No restrictions.

Offhand or Leadsled?. If I were a betting man I'd say a sled was involved there.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Offhand or Leadsled?. If I were a betting man I'd say a sled was involved there.
This would be QUITE the showing if done offhand.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'll take that bet. I can just about guarantee there was no sled anywhere around. Front pedestal and rear bag most likely.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Nope...you would lose that bet, front rest and rear bag for sure. Nothing better than that for a setup IMHO.

LC
Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 PM

lol.. I could cut that 1" circle out with shots if there is no calibre requirements..

My .17 HMR is a nice accurate little tack driver and with no recoil.

Hell with the old .22 we used to light matches at about 25 yards.

My question would be to see how many guys can do this with factory ammo..lol

Put you on the spot and away from your honey sweet combinations..lol
Old 09-18-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
That's some purdy nice shooting there, 260. What's the rig (a complete decription please including rest).
Well, the "guessers"have all been wrong so far. I was doing my zero and practice for the CGN Challenge which requires a bipod or "field expedient front rest" ... so, the dots pictured were shot using my one and only Harris model 25C bipod which sits a foot tall on the bench. In order to get the barrel level, I had to stack several pieces of plywood under my Edgewood rear bag. Then, in order to get high enough to get my eye up to the scope, I had to use three seat pads which damn near left my feet dangling above the ground. I actually tried to shoot prone, but would have needed an air mattress to get enough height. The CGN challenge requires the dots to be shot from a cold barrel ... each on a different day ... So I could not use these targets which were shot in succession. The set up was pretty challenging itself, so when I got home, I cut my plywood pieces to fit better and covered them with some leather. I will post pics when actually complete the challenge CGN challenge. Or if I get pressed for time, I will just do one with a proper front rest and rear bag for this Challenge. I have never shot paper off a bipod and assumed POA accuracy would suffer more than I found in this brief experience.
Rifle is a 30 BR / Barnard action / Krieger barrel / in a take-off Sako Varmint stock.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilk View Post
lol.. I could cut that 1" circle out with shots if there is no calibre requirements..
My .17 HMR is a nice accurate little tack driver and with no recoil.
Hell with the old .22 we used to light matches at about 25 yards.
My question would be to see how many guys can do this with factory ammo..lol
Put you on the spot and away from your honey sweet combinations..lol
You are in luck. There are no caliber requirements, and since you will be shooting Rimfire, you can show us with factory ammo. Look forward to seeing your successful target set. Based on the number of sub 1MOA rifles that we hear about on a regular basis on this Forum, I genuinely expect to see lots of success stories. This is just a fun Challenge. Get out and shoot. And, enjoy.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:12 PM

I am definitely going to give it the college try... once I am done fishing and bird hunting this weekend..

I would love to have been able to have my dad do this... he shot great with open sights.... awesome with the scope...

Too bad he doen't hunt anymore... or even have his guys... at least I have them to pass on when the time comes..
Old 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Here is a pic of the rig. Note the finely crafted block stand for the rear bag ... a combination of plywood and MDF shelving tastefully covered with a piece of leather. Bipod by Harris telescopes to 25" and has a cant function ... a bit wobbly perhaps, but that adds to the challenge. Krieger barrel is Light Palma contour. Sako Varmint stock ... Chambered and fitted by Ian Robertson (VX Systems).

Old 09-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Nice set up. Makes me really wonder what my little .17hmr could do

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks for posting
Old 09-18-2014, 09:27 PM

T-nuts.com has the lever handle to lock the swivel in position. I got the stainless hardware version for $8-$12. Anyway it was $14 shipped. It's on the 25C as well. Anywhere else that little handle is $30-$40. Great shooting.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:28 PM

Thanks. There is no stiffness in the pivot what-so-ever, so using this bipod without some type of lock leaves the shot to the mercy of the torque roll. I quickly figured a firm hold would be critical. It is a decent bipod for hunting, but not so good for precision. The cant lock is a great idea!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 PM

I may head out tomorrow and see what my 300 and 243 can do. I might have to lay off the coffee for thus one.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:16 AM

Post what you shoot, we got to get this thread rolling as it is something that many shooters can do if they have a bit of confidence.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:09 PM

Finished this CHALLENGE according to the CGN "rules" which require the use of a bipod, and that each target be shot on different days ...and must include the cold bore shot. 100M.
First day target (with caliper) and final target posted.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 09-24-2014 at 02:17 PM.