Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2007, 01:04 PM
BloodHound70

Default Baptiste Lake

Every spring me and Kannon used to go up to Baptiste for big pike. I haven't been up there in a few years and I was wondering how the fishing is there now. Any info would be great.

BH
Old 05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Rob Miskosky

I've been fishing Baptiste for about 10 years now. Several years ago it wasn't difficult to catch a good-sized walleye, in fact, the walleye fishing was quite good. Now I find it pretty tough to catch a walleye of any size. The odd good one still comes out, but they are far and few between - at least from what I've seen and I spend a fair amount of time fishing the lake.

Baptiste still holds some real good pike though. It's one of my favourite lakes for fly-fishing pike. Last year I saw a pike just miss my buddies jig (we were fishing walleye) just at the surface when he was reeling in. The fish was absolutely huge and his head was massive. I estimate the fish was well over 20-pounds. While there are big pike in Baptiste there are also many smaller ones. Fly-fishing the bays can provide a lot of activity in June. Usually by mid-july the lake completely shuts down and it's hard to catch anything though. If you still want to catch pike-on-the-fly in summer, just up the road is Ghost Lake. Ghost hasn't got very many big fish but it's teeming with smaller pike. For the fly-angler it can be a blast and it's not uncommon to catch a fish on just about every cast.

Baptiste still has some good perch also, but even they seem to be getting harder to catch, although some guys seem to do real well, I don't.

All in all, Baptiste is probably just a so-so lake compared to many others. It gets a lot of pressure, including netting pressure. The walleye fishery, as far as I am concerned, is probably collapsed and a zero limit should be instituted. But that is just my opinion, not F&Ws. The pike fishing in spring though is pretty good.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 AM
BloodHound70

Ya it does, thanks Rob for the input.

BH