Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2007, 05:52 PM
ULTRAlite

Default Chain Lakes - wind free?!?

A windless day at Chain - I really enjoyed it as they don't come along too often!

Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Baitfisher83

those are some awesome looking fish, i may have to pick up some shrimp and more corn and whatever and head out there on monday, providing my dad will wanna go that far..lol, Awesome that it's unthawed already ad i hope it's windless whenever we decide to hit it..
Old 04-26-2007, 11:53 PM
lethalconnection

wow thats a rare occasion, you must have done something right Some nice fish you got there. How many were you able to land??
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
ULTRAlite

It was around 30 between the both of us...

Gonna take a nube with us next time - loads o fun
Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 AM
lethalconnection

That looks like a spot i tend to hit everyonce in a while, and i believe right in the middle between where you r standing in the first pic straight to the other side there is a stream that comes up into the lake under water and have lots of success there but its hard to get there in summer without a boat.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Baitfisher83

Well I'm gonna head out there tomorrow so hopefully i'll have the same luck you guys did, and hoping for a least a few hours of no wind...will post pics if i dont forget my camera and i catch something..lol
Old 05-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Baitfisher83

Well I hit Chain lakes on Monday, action seemed pretty awesome on the miracle bait..shrimp..lol
Wasnt the quietest day wind wise but they were still hitting like mad...

here's a few of the broad we managed to land/keep, let a few little guys and a persistent sucker,(ugly little buggers) me and my dad kept 8 between us....nothing huge but some nice looking fish...

And of course around sundown<8pm or so> is when the wind started to go away, good thing they were nice enough to bite even in the moderate winds...hope to head there again soon....
Old 05-03-2007, 07:55 PM
fishinguy99

Default chain lakes

r the fish any good to eat from that lake?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Baitfisher83

Default Re: chain lakes

yup they are, and i think it's one of the cleanest lakes in the province as well..
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
lethalconnection

did you happen to see if there were any surfacing or were they all pretty well stayin down low??
Old 05-03-2007, 10:26 PM
sheep hunter

This what it looked like above Chain Lake today....

Old 05-03-2007, 11:48 PM
ULTRAlite

Lookin alot like Christmas...
Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Baitfisher83

there was nothing surfacing until later in the evening when the wind was gone and the sun started to go down....it's gotta be a fairly hard lake to flyfish
Old 05-04-2007, 01:14 AM
lethalconnection

No not really just as long you know how to use the wind to your advantage when casting unless you are facing right into it then yah it sucks.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Baitfisher?

Default Baitfisher?

Was the water clear? Thinkin of headin out there sunday if its still to wet to farm. Will fish from shore where were you guys fishing? Will be by myself and no boat.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Baitfisher83

Default Re: Baitfisher?

We were fishing the south lake by the first parking lot, there was a bunch of picnic tables there....the water was still quite murky so if yer using a flyrod could be tricky to get their attention...but they'll go for bait no problem...lol
Old 05-09-2007, 01:42 AM
chain

Default chain

"yup they are, and i think it's one of the cleanest lakes in the province as well.. "

HAHAHAHAHAHA YOU THINK CHAIN LAKES IS CLEANEST LAKE IN PROVINCE

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Baitfisher83

Default Re: chain

umm actually i said ONE of the cleanest, not the cleanest....gotta love the people who post for no other reason other than to start trouble...
Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Re: chain

I went to the Crowsnest river today to fly fish. It was a bust. High and muddy, so no fish caught. Then I remembered seeing this thread about Chain lakes, so I stopped in there on the way back. I landed 1 rainbow trout about 8 inches and lost 2 other small fish on the wooly bugger. It was fun with the 5 wt., even on a small fish. I was surprised to get anything in that murky water using flies. Anyway, chain saved me from being skunked today and it was my first time ever fishing the lake, even though I have driven by it many times in the past.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Baitfisher83

Yeah they've been eating like crazy, it's pretty awesome fishing there, although i'm usually there for 9-10 when i go..lol
Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 AM
7mm12g22lr

is there any pike in Chain Lakes ?
Thinking to go there with my boat and wanted to know what to expect on pike.
thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:06 PM
lethalconnection

Quote:
is there any pike in Chain Lakes ?
Lol nope far from, there is nothing but a bunch of small trout in Chain.

A couple good places for pike that you can take a boat is Crawling Valleye, Lake Newell, McGregor, Travers, Little Bow Reservoir, Twin Valleye, Sylvan, Gull. Just to name a few.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:10 PM
7mm12g22lr

Thanks,
I will be heading to Crowling Valley next week actually.
Cheers