Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Salmon shark limits

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r.../a-s19-eng.htm

I have been hunting salmon sharks for a while now. I have hooked into some battle but ad gear selection mess up the result. Still the fights are awesome so I am happy to see a limit versus the no limit of the past.

Does anyone ave some salmon shark photos?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 AM

I have a few pictures . And I will second them things are damn fun to fish for . Medium action rod 8 ft , Bottom bounceing . I spent 4 or 5 days fishing for solely them in Campbell river caught several in various lenths , than caught another type of shark was about 9 feet , but wouldnt fit in landing net had to cut the line .

But here are the pictures .

Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
I have a few pictures . And I will second them things are damn fun to fish for . Medium action rod 8 ft , Bottom bounceing . I spent 4 or 5 days fishing for solely them in Campbell river caught several in various lenths , than caught another type of shark was about 9 feet , but wouldnt fit in landing net had to cut the line .

But here are the pictures .

Those are dogfish, or dog sharks. Salmon sharks are the real deal. They look like a small great white. Dogfish are a nuisance when trolling bait in the ocean for salmon. But they can be a blast on light tackle, when they're in shallow at night. Im guessing the bigger one you caught was a six gill shark. Salmon sharks are a little further north and start showing up on the northest tip of van isle, and continue on north.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...lmonshark.main
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Banned

Yup Dog Fish John.. I must say I have never heard of anybody purposly targeting them lol.. Most everyone I know cusses the day long when you get into them,, damn hard on bait to them critters. I have heard that the Englishmen eat them but it is quite the process to get them eatable..

As far as Im concerned Salmon sharks are no different and attempts should be made to serously control them,, darn hard on the Salmon population. Just another predator that has to be controlled.. With that said I wouldn't mind hooking into one just for the fight..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 AM

Default My bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Yup Dog Fish John.. I must say I have never heard of anybody purposly targeting them lol.. Most everyone I know cusses the day long when you get into them,, damn hard on bait to them critters. I have heard that the Englishmen eat them but it is quite the process to get them eatable..

As far as Im concerned Salmon sharks are no different and attempts should be made to serously control them,, darn hard on the Salmon population. Just another predator that has to be controlled.. With that said I wouldn't mind hooking into one just for the fight..
Im the odd crowd then , actually there was another guy doing the same so I figured Id give it a try to , and did pretty damn good . When I was asked by a Fishiers officer I guess thats what they are Federal guys , not a Fish and wildlife officer , anyway he told me them things were called Dog fish or Spiny salmon shark , thats why I posted . All I know is they were alot of fun to catch on medium action gear .
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Definately Dog Sharks BBJ. Them and the seals are the 2 worst enemies when I go Salmon fishing every year on the island. I have never ate one but I hear if you want to you have to skin them right away(they urinate through there skin and will go bad real quick) Second you have to throw the meat in milk right away. That is just what I heard im not about to try it anytime soon.... Salmon and Lingcod are my fish of choice. Would love to hook into a salmon shark one day
Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 AM

Spiny Dogfish are a hoot to catch if nothing else is biting.

Salmon Shark sounds fun as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Default Last Summer

Here's one we caught last summer Hali fishing, put on a great fight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00124-20120818-1340.jpg (41.3 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Only seen them on TV , but , yes , they are knarly looking beasts !
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Caught 1 salmon fishing 2 years ago. Got it to the boat and cut the line. Actually up in Alaska I believe they actually have charters that target salmon sharks.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Here's one we caught last summer Hali fishing, put on a great fight.
Another dog fish. But that one is pretty big.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Another dog fish. But that one is pretty big.
x2. Salmon shark get pretty big. Basically they are like a mini great white but are still big fish. I think our sponsor Jamie would probably know more about fishing these as he has probably come accross a few of them.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM
AO Sponsor

Daily limit for salmon sharks is 1, with 2 in possession. Never caught one myself but at one of our salmon spots another guide saw one swimming around...lil bugger! Had a few 225lb leaders bitten off as well when fishing for halibut with salmon heads...definitely a salmon shark as a halibut couldn't do that unless it was very frayed, and trust me, it wasn't. So some around but pretty rare from my understanding...lots of blue sharks though.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

I have fished salmon sharks with Lefty's out of Valdez. They get up to about 800 lbs I think. The day we went out we hooked one but didnt get it in the boat. I have never felt anything like that in my life. They are from the same family as great whites and makos and are basically a smaller version of the great white.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:09 PM
Gone Hunting

When I lived on the west coast my son and I would go fishing in Howe sound. We caught a mixed bag of fish from flounder and sea perch to the spiny dogfish. Some of the dogfish were in the 44-48 inch range. On light gear they are lots of fun.

Years ago there were dogfish derbies at Gibson's. Think 'the Beach combers'

My buddies son was convinced he would win the random draw for a bike one year. when it didn't happen, his dad told his son that Relic had stolen the bike.
The boy was choked enough to approach Relic and chew him out while he was on the pier for the celebrations.
We won one year for the lost caught and another year we got second and third for size.

The local scouts had BBq's set up and served dogfish on a bun. Excellent.

They should be cleaned immediately, skinned and kept chilled on ice. They make great fish and chips and no bones.

There's a lot of fun fishing on the coast for stuff other than salmon. We caught lots of Dungeness crabs on a line using a piece of herring for bait.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Banned

I'd love to fish Sharks. Pics and toss back in, get a graphite mount made, Be quite the convo piece.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
x2. Salmon shark get pretty big. Basically they are like a mini great white but are still big fish. I think our sponsor Jamie would probably know more about fishing these as he has probably come accross a few of them.
Bound we don't get them around our parts or at least i don't know people who target them.

I did have 2 lines broke that looked like they were cut with a box cutter. Both lines happened on the same pass. I was watching carefully and never saw them twitch and they were not broke out of the down rigger. All gear including flashers was lost.

Jamie