Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 PM

Cat, like I said in the first post and my third post.

Show them ALL, nothing about ethics or morally wrong/right. I refuse to go down the moral/ethics road on here.

This was some ideas to get guys thinking for future reference (like I stated above).

I have seen you hatchet and knife pics, and you towing a deer behind the jetboat in the river. I enjoyed all of them. I never once said please don't post certain kinds of pics they offend me. I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. The best part of AO for me are the pics, keep them coming please.

I much rather see a pic of a buck with intestines wrapped around his antlers, on the hood, then no pic at all. This was more of a tips/tricks thread to help set up a really amazing pic of your critter. But I get called pretentious
Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 PM

My post wasn't really aimed at you personally Steve, but I have talked to people in the past that have that attitude, so posted my view on the subject.

These types of threads can get sideways in a hurry sometimes, and I was just stating what I do and why Ii do it because I have been criticised in the past on a different forum for posting that same pic of the deer in the water!
However, most of the pictures I have portray something of the day for me to remember when the time comes that the closest I can get to hunting is to tell my grand kids about it!

That deer was a particularly tough recovery down some very gnarly terrain, and I tripped more than once trying to guide the danged thing down the slope and landing up on my back with the antlers on either side of me after getting upended on a branch!
it's all good anyway.....
Cat
Old 10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
because I forget stuff, or cannot compose a shot as good as some, or take pictures of dead stuff that others do not like I am not a good hunter and do not portray hunters in a good light ?
Cat
no cat, it doesnt mean that at all. it just means that SOME people may get offended by it, and they wont appear on a magazine or brochure for anything.....but i dont think you are aiming for that. dont take offence. its just a few tips to turn ok shots into great ones that you will have great pride showing to anyone. steves advice is really good for everyone, take it or leave it.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Sometimes after the meat is gone, the photos are all you have. It never hurts to take your time and get your photo just right. It's not like the animal is going to run off on you if it isn't in the truck right away.

Anyways, Steve, I think it was last season when i started a thread along these lines and got chastised as 'holier than thou', etc. Still didn't change my opinion. It isn't ethics, just friendly advice. All you guys who are barking here just calm down, and if you don't like the advice, don't heed it.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:53 PM

Best tip I've got is take lots of shots from lots of different camera angles - pick your favorite shots later.

Quote:
I took a great pic of a mulie I arrowed by myself this year, my favorite pic of the bunch and unfortunately his tongues hanging out, dissapointing....
probably easy enough to get rid of with photoshop
Old 10-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
you are selling yourself short on those pics cal. the first one is pretty good. you say he is gutted, but you have a clump of grass in just the right place to hide things. pics in the dark are always good. antlers show up very well in a flash. there is always someone asking why you hunted at night, but i make a point of pics in the dark as i personally love the look.

the second pic is awesome. whoever ran the camera was obviously in the water as well and there are no ripples from the cameraman. sweet shot!

the third one is pretty good for a tripod. without the benefit of someone making sure you have the angle of the face of the animal right, and your body position is good, it can be tough. i might have been in front of the hole to hide it, but it isnt too gory. the finger on the trigger of the gun wasnt neccessary, but really not bad for a self portrait.
The camera is in timer mode on a dollar store mini-tripod on a rock in the water. Had a little trouble getting my partner to volenteer his camera for that one
We are alone with about a 50 kilometer paddle ahead of us and a storm moving in, due to the mechanics involved in shooting out of the rear seat in a canoe my buddy is mostly deaf, a little ****ed off, and not very co-operative so we took exactly one photo which I didnt even look at. Definatly not tying the mouth shut but I wish we'd noticed that huge clump of blood in the foreground.

Last edited by Cal; 10-02-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Another good trick I use to hold mouths closed as a little dab of crazy glue on the lips. Works like a charm and comes off after.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Just remember that anything posted to the web on sites like this becomes public domain and you lose control of what can happen with pictures and information. PETA types do frequent these boards looking for evidence on how cruel and vile we hunters are to use as ammo in their anti-hunting propaganda. A "tasteful" picture capturing the essence of the hunt and the animal does little to further their cause compared to photos that show all sorts of blood, guts, "boorish" hunter behavior and demeaning animal poses. These latter kind of photos can sometimes only further the anti's cause and resolve to shut us down.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 AM

There's a pretty good article on this over at boone and crockett website.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgreco...area=bgrecords
Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Just remember that anything posted to the web on sites like this becomes public domain and you lose control of what can happen with pictures and information. PETA types do frequent these boards looking for evidence on how cruel and vile we hunters are to use as ammo in their anti-hunting propaganda. A "tasteful" picture capturing the essence of the hunt and the animal does little to further their cause compared to photos that show all sorts of blood, guts, "boorish" hunter behavior and demeaning animal poses. These latter kind of photos can sometimes only further the anti's cause and resolve to shut us down.
2X
Cal your picture of the moose in the water is a dandy. There is alot of stuff that has happened and lots more to happen. A picture can say a thousand words.
Everyone, just do the best that you can. I'm sure we all have some pictures that we look at and say why the hell did I take that. I know I have and I still have them.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Great thread, brings up some points I have never considered. I gotta start taking more pics of the hunt but usually seem to forget my camera