Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-24-2017, 02:21 PM

Default Crossman nitro piston

Hey y'all I bought a Crossman nitro piston at cabelas around Christmas time and tried to set the scope, but the parallax is gross! 3 inches at 20 feet! It doesn't come with iron sights, so I ripped my Bushnell elite off my 22-250 and stuck that on there, and the gun shoots fine, not a tack driver by any means but good enough for rabbits and chickens, but it's a pellet gun! It's a waste of a good scope to leave it on there, anyone else had this issue with these scopes, or did I get a dud?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 PM

I bought one too (22 cal 900 fps). Have only been shooting it in the basement so far. Of course the scope package is lacking, but it's staying on for now. Air rifles are fussy with scopes, recoil effects them more so. I don't know if the Bushnell Elites are air gun rated, but they just might be? I was thinking putting on a red dot......something with a smallish dot. Nothing larger than a 3moa dot. Anything larger will cover up to much of the target. Bushnell Trophy Red Dot has 3moa. In my mind, break action air rifles are not tack drivers. The scope is mounted on the action behind the break. That being the case, repeatable accuracy is only as good as the break returning exactly to the same position every time. Any sloppiness in the break will kill accuracy. I bought it for gophers in the backyard.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Air rifles recoil forward, not all scopes can handle that
Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM

It's a piston not a springer
Old 02-24-2017, 04:05 PM

I hadn't thought about the red dot, but yeah I'm liking that idea, thanks mine is also 22cal, plenty of jam to go right through a rabbit.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:27 PM

Before trying to get any accuracy out of your gun, you might want to disassemble it and give it a good cleaning. Possibly a new seal. Mine shot alright until I fixed it, now it shoots much better. It was full of filings and the seal was pooched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0449.jpg (45.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
Hey y'all I bought a Crossman nitro piston at cabelas around Christmas time and tried to set the scope, but the parallax is gross! 3 inches at 20 feet! It doesn't come with iron sights, so I ripped my Bushnell elite off my 22-250 and stuck that on there, and the gun shoots fine, not a tack driver by any means but good enough for rabbits and chickens, but it's a pellet gun! It's a waste of a good scope to leave it on there, anyone else had this issue with these scopes, or did I get a dud?
You can adjust the parallax on your scope to work at whatever distance you would like.
If you look down into the objective end of your scope you will see that it is threaded. There is a lock ring in there with 2 small notches that holds the objective lenses from moving. Make or find a tool that matches the small notches and remove the lock ring (carefully). You wil see 2 more small notches in the outside of the objective lense mount. Mark where the objective lense was before you start turning it. Now carefully turn the objective lense until you adjust the parallax to the distance you are shooting.
Reinstall the lock ring - and you are done.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM

And no you did not get a dud - most of them come like that.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:57 PM

Some of the scopes also have another ring threaded into the objective end of the scope that needs to be removed before you can access the lock ring - but normally that one can be removed by hand to get access to the lock ring and the objective lense.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Thanks Buck, I'll give that a try.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:01 PM

I have same gun and had to adjust my parallax as instructed above, also try different types of pellets, mine hates daisy pellets tried a few types all crap, it likes crossman preimier pellets.