Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2016, 03:00 PM
Banned

Default New rifle build possibilities

I have come to acquire a new rifle thanks to some trading. The person I traded with had a brand new Remington 700 ADL combo. This one is chambered in 243. It has the synthetic youth stock with the removable spacers to adjust the LOP. It has 2 piece base set with the factory 3-9 scope. Now I'm thinking that since I have this thing, let's do something with it. This will be very much a budget build. The only thing I plan on. Using new will be the trigger. I will most likely end up with a Trigger Tech trigger as I have them in mine and my wife's rifles already and I love them.

Stock and bottom metal will be changed out, a 1 piece rail, the scope rings and obviously the scope. Also thinking about doing a barrel swap. Say with 6 or 6.5mm caliber as I already have the 308.

Like I said earlier, this will be as budget as I can get it. I have been off of work for a little while now, hoping to be back to work sooner than later though, obviously.

This will be a rifle for target/coyote hunting. Something that maybe pushes the upper limit of the rules in hunter class bench rest, maybe varmint class. Still undecided if it will be mine or my son's as he seems to be happy with his current rifle. Once it's done, he just may like it enough that he wants it. Because of that possibility, I was thinking a chassis system with an adjustable stock LOP. Still haven't decided yet. For budget parts and some
Suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

6-284 or 243 AI...no real big expense involved.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Whats availability of factory brass for either of those? I have no desire to be fire forming or resizing on the press. For any given cartridge that I shoot I have 500 brass on hand at any time.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well then you gotta reach out via Internet to find someone who will sell you brass already resized or fire formed.
There are lots of people out there with these cartridges.
I resized 284 brass, trimmed for my 6-284 and did 200 worth over time now I am set.

Fire forming is easy, shoot, hunt with the 243, then after a season or two you should have a hockey sock of 243 AI then develope a pet load...go from there but like I mentioned if you source out people have brass sitting around on thier benches from a gun they had from yesteryear

Good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-01-2017, 10:20 AM

why not pick up a boyds stock, and have it bedded into it? keep the old stock and have ti bedded as well, and chase could run it too.
should fill the bill for hunter br, coyotes, and big game too.
won't get much more budget than that, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Banned

I had never thought about the Boyd's stocks. Maybe a nice thumb hole set up. I don't want to be swapping stocks back and forth, that's one reason I was thinking a chassis system, if I could find one on the cheap. I will look at the Boyd's for sure though. Thanks Lee
Old 01-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I had never thought about the Boyd's stocks. Maybe a nice thumb hole set up. I don't want to be swapping stocks back and forth, that's one reason I was thinking a chassis system, if I could find one on the cheap. I will look at the Boyd's for sure though. Thanks Lee
If you buy the boyds classic thumbhole stock and have a rail on your rifle you will probably find the stock too low for a consistent cheek weld. You would be better off buying the boyds pro- varmint stock. I just put a Boyds Pro Varmint on a left Hand Tikka 243. Topped with 30mm low Talley rings and a 4-16 Vortex Viper scope. This set up feels very good and i really like it. Coyotes don't like it much though.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Banned

Thanks for that input. I will check out the Boyd's site soon.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:17 AM

if you want to try one, i have a few here scott.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

Thanks Lee.
I was just on the website and I do like the look of the pro varmint. I like the idea or the adjustable comb as well, although it's an expensive option, it may be the best option.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:43 AM

not that an adjustable comb doesn't have a place, but i've never found a need for one hunting or in hunter b.r.
maybe my pudgy face takes up the slack.............
i've also found that a regular butt as opposed to the tacticool cut-out a little more freindly for free recoil shooting on the bags

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Scottmisfits,
I'm building a custom right now and I'm having it put in a MDT Tac21 chassis. I just received it earlier this week and it is amazing. The build quality, finish and fit is incredible.
Manufactured in Chilliwack BC, they are far less expensive as other AIC chassis' and no import charges or exchange.
https://mdttac.ca/
Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 PM

I have a cooper 6BR in a boyds pro varmint. I really like the pro varmint stock. It fits me perfect, no need to adjustable comb for me either. gitrdun did it for me.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Banned

Darren, I believe I've seen that one in person. If it's the one I'm thinking, the pictures do not do anything for it.

If I do go with a chassis system, it will have to have a full size pad. I actually like the stock Remington pads for recoil absorption. Hopefully I'll figure that out soon
Old 01-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Darren, I believe I've seen that one in person. If it's the one I'm thinking, the pictures do not do anything for it.

If I do go with a chassis system, it will have to have a full size pad. I actually like the stock Remington pads for recoil absorption. Hopefully I'll figure that out soon
Not a lot of coopers in pro varmints stocks LOL.

Better pic

That MDT chassis looks pretty good. I will have to check that out. Thanks fr the info jayhad!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Banned

I just started back to work after a month month lay off. I was walking through Cabela's in the Bargain Cave and came across a Cabela's Covenant scope.
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/87347/...fp-riflescopes

Next up for this will be the scope mount. It's got a 30mm tube so I need new rings at minimum but I have been considering a one piece. The rifle came with a two piece base and personally, I don't like them. I don't have any reason not to other than looks. The one piece systems just seem so much simpler when trying to get the scope straight, no twist or torque on the tube, etc.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an inexpensive or used one piece mount for a Remington SA, 30mm tube? Maybe even a slanted rail for longer distances? I don't anticipate shooting more than 3-400 yards but you never know what the future might bring if I decide to rechamber this thing.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:12 PM

6mm\284
It's one smokn 6mm . Ballistic twin of 240 wby mag. I did one on win 70 in243 went from pushing 100 gr bullets from that rifle 2950fps to 3350 fos . All I did was ream factory barrel
Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

That's a good option too. I don't want a barrel burner either.

I found a one piece mount at Bass Pro from DNZ but they only had the 1" version. I may just try and order from their website if they ship or talk to the local shop to see if they can get it. For the price of $70, plus a little more for the 30mm version, it seems like a good option considering the cheapest I have found Burris Zee rings for is $65.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Banned

I ended up going with a Talley rail and Weaver Grandslam 30mm mounts. I can't get the DNZ locally, and I really didn't want to order it online.
I also grabbed an HS Precision stock. It didn't quite line up, bottom metal, stock and receiver, so that is at a friends place getting fixed right now. The stock is already channeled for a heavy barrel so I'm ready when I finally decide on what caliber and cartridge I want to use.
Once I get it back, I'll bed the action and I might get to put a round or two down the tube after that.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Banned

I went and picked up the rifle and got the scope put on. After this it'll be barrel and probably the lug, and then the trigger. Just wanted to toss out a couple pictures.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
After this it'll be barrel and probably the lug, and then the trigger.
looks good!

i'd do the trigger first or for a budget oriented build i'd find a old pre xmark trigger. they can be adjusted to be 90% as good as an aftermarket but at 1/3rd the price.

and to save money the factory recoil lug isn't going to leave you wanting something better. maybe something better looking...
Old 02-24-2017, 02:13 PM
Banned

The trigger in it is a post recall non adjustable. It's not bad at all. I do have a couple of other post recall adjustables as well and I do like them as well. My favorite trigger, and probably the eventual trigger to be in this will be a TriggerTech.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Rebuild/Rebarrel that recently had done with Rem 700 in 6.5-284.

KS Stainless Fluted 1-8 Twist 25" Barrel
BC Wthby Sporter Black/Grey Stock
Triggertech Trigger
Complete Ceracoat. Black/Titanium

Worked up a load and shoots like a dream..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4352.jpg (64.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4354.jpg (68.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4356.jpg (62.0 KB, 24 views)