Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 AM

Default Fish finder help

Hey all. Found this on cabelas flyer IMG_4374.jpg I like that it has a flasher, gps, side imaging, and $280 off. I’m looking for some of the experts on here to give some pros and cons of this unit. Also to see if I can get a better unit close to this price point.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2019, 07:03 AM

I'd take a look at the Lowrance Elite Ti2 7.

About $200 more, but you're getting the very latest version available. The benefits of the Elite Ti2 are:

- Touch screen. That's a HUGE positive. We're all used to using a touch screen, it's second nature, and it's super simple.
- Complete screen layout and data overlay customization - any combination of up to 4 different functions can be displayed in several layouts, and all your depth, temp, speed, etc... data can be displayed on the screen anywhere you want it, and as big or small as you want it.
- better screen resolution and brightness
- Active Imaging 3 in 1 Transducer - 455 and 800 Hz Side Imaging that's on par, and at larger distances, maybe even a bit better than Humminbird, Down Imaging with dedicated DI transducer crystals, and the best 2D sonar technology on the market.
- Genesis Live auto mapping software built in. Simply buy ANY 32GB or smaller microSD card and plug it in, and you're mapping.
- Access to Genesis Socials Maps layer for free. You get 1' contour maps of a lot of the most popular lakes in AB and SK. You also have the ability to custom color shade them.
- WIRELESS NETWORKING. You can connect another Elite TI2 down the road and share maps, waypoints, trails and 2D sonar wirelessly between two units, including viewing the 2D sonar from both units on a single unit at the same time. (Trolling motor and transom transducers)

It might sting a little up front, but you won't regret it, that's a lot of benefits for $200.

The Fishin Hole is having a big spring sale the first week of May, that's a great chance to get one on sale and make it an even better value.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index....NAV+/&se=33285
Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 AM

That Bird unit is a great unit. It’s a Gen 2 and they have now come out with Gen 3 which is why it’s discounted. I’ve run Helix 9 and 10 Gen 1, Helix 5, 9, and 10 Gen 2s and will have Gen 3 this year. All have been great.

Only comment is that the unit doesn’t come with the ice transducer so if you want to use it as a flasher you would likely want the ice transducer (about $90-100 bucks) and you may want a portable shuttle and case. Humminbird sells all of that together as a package of you decide to go that route. Or you can make your own case out of a toolbox or waterproof box.

PM me if you have any specific questions on these units.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-18-2019, 11:18 PM

Another vote for the Elite Ti2.
Brand new this year, touch screen, free live mapping, Active Imaging transducer and 2 year warranty. $1030 at Cabela’s and also comes with a $200 Nav+ card.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:34 AM

Thanks for your time to reply guys. I really like the elite and it would be nice to get the latest tech, touch screen, etc... doesn’t look like it has a flasher mode? I’d like to use this unit in the winter as well. Another thing, some units have side imaging some have down imaging. Which one is better? Too many different units with different features
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM

The Humminbird units with SI have DI and 2D as well.

You expressed interest in using the unit as a flasher. Here is a video I made of the Helix 5 on the ice this past winter.

https://youtu.be/an8F0372kR8

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
Thanks for your time to reply guys. I really like the elite and it would be nice to get the latest tech, touch screen, etc... doesn’t look like it has a flasher mode? I’d like to use this unit in the winter as well. Another thing, some units have side imaging some have down imaging. Which one is better? Too many different units with different features
Thanks in advance.

The Elite Ti2 Active Imaging is with the 3 in 1 so you get 2D, down and side imaging.

It does have a flasher mode
Old 04-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Both are good plotters, if using with an electric trolling motor such as minnkota and I-pilot go with the humminbird, if using a motor guide go with the lowrance.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:46 PM

Both mfg make good quality units. Like asking who makes the best pickup. Touch screen is not new technology as Lowrance has been making them for several years including the TI model. Humminbird has elected to stay with buttons. Keeps screen cleaner, lowers the cost, etc. according to their spiel. Again as mentioned if you plan for a trolling motor the correct brand to pair up with is important too. Other than the touch screen just make sure you compare units with the same features especially Birds as they have changed series and some retailers are adv the old models. If you want to spend some bucks for newer technology then go look at Garmin units. They have some really cool stuff too.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:37 PM

I had Lawrence and I will not buy any of it again. Mine had very limited instructions and took me a lot of efforts to dig out how to use all its features properly. At the last, it survived only 1 season.