Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Wild boar

Looking to hunt some boar anyone know where to go?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 05:27 PM

You might as well ask for a person's favorite elk or sheep honey hole.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Texas?
Old 03-14-2019, 06:00 PM

Saskatchewan. Lots of areas but you pretty much need to know someone or go through a guide.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 PM

You could check out HogWild out by Mayerthorpe. Pretty good outfit he runs there.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Saskatchewan. Lots of areas but you pretty much need to know someone or go through a guide.
Never seen one myself or any tracks or signs. Seems to be just as tight-lipped as here too. See pics of lots being shot, but need to have some connections
Old 03-14-2019, 07:31 PM

You've got a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffas body than getting any hog help in Alberta .....lol
Old 03-14-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
Looking to hunt some boar anyone know where to go?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Mayerthorpe used to be the prime spot but looks like they have been eliminated in the last 5 years. I heard non confirmed stories about tracks on banks of Peace river north of Grand Prairie.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Hogs

I seen one just before sunset cross Hwy 55 just east of Grassland, before the Hwy 63 turn off, 4-5 years back, just about hit it with my Bonneville, right where there is that low area south of the Hwy.

Hope that helps
Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 AM

Check out Twin Creeks Ranch in Saskatchewan. Awesome outfit and great guides.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Banned

They are all over. Hit up some grazing leases near edmonton. There is a nice group west of Seba beach in the grazing leases near the peat pit. A few near edson, Smoky lake there is hogs, friends up there shot 7 this year. Gull lake area apparently has them. Barrhead area has them.

I apologize to the guys that I gave your "secret" spots out. Y'all are just as bad as the farmers complaining pigs are ruining their crops, but charge $250 a gun to hunt them down in Texas. It has become a business now. Live trapping and releasing on high fenced leases.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:36 PM

I have friends that go To HogWild every year. $750 a Hog. For the money you will spend driving around looking for them and hotels this is pretty affordable.

I agree with Yeg Fishing if their really is a concern we should be sharing the areas to find them.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 PM

just looking to do some conservation, would rather a healthy ungulate population than a teeming predator/pest population that wreaks havoc on farmers and the ecosystem. thanks for the info so far.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:28 PM

CBC: Wild pigs causing 'ecological disaster' as they spread rapidly across Canada, survey says

Quote:
For the first time, researchers have mapped the range of wild pigs across Canada and found the numbers of invasive swine are rising rapidly.

Wild pigs are now Canada's most prolific invasive mammal, according to what the University of Saskatchewan calls the first-ever published survey of their distribution in Canada — and they're causing an "ecological disaster."

"They'll root up the vegetation like a rototiller," said researcher Ruth Aschim. "They're rolling around in the water, defecating in it."

"There is crop damage, disease transmission, even automobile crashes with these pigs."

The wild pigs are the legacy of a failed attempt to diversify meat production with wild boars.

The porcine pests were imported from Europe in the 1980s and 1990s for livestock or "penned game" for hunters.

Many boars escaped their pens and mated with pigs, said Aschim, and they're now causing damage wherever they go.

They currently range over more than 750,000 square kilometres — an area larger than Chile — and between 2011 and 2017 their territory increased by an average of 88,000 square kilometres per year, researchers found.

"The public is not overly aware of the wild pig problem, because they are elusive and nocturnal," Aschim said.

Researchers say wild pigs are very hard to eradicate.

They grow as big as 115 kilograms (250 pounds), can eat almost anything, become sexually mature in four to eight months and have about six piglets in a litter.

Researchers add they're hardy in the winter as well, burrowing into "pigloos" in the snow.

The survey, published last week in Nature Scientific Reports, warns that wild pig populations and range will "continue to expand exponentially" over the next decade at least, if aggressive management policies are not implemented soon.

Last edited by fishnguy; 05-15-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:52 PM

Coming back into the news it seems. Would love to find a spot to harvest one Yum.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...says-scientist
Old 12-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Default boar

I'm making wild boar sausage tomorrow. Saw one last summer just outside Sylvan Lake wandering across a field.No I didn't shoot that one.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:25 PM

Actually seen a few run across the Hwy south of Entwistle this spring it was a complete shock. First time I have seen feral pigs and had to do a double take to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing. Outside of this I have not even seen a track

Wish I could find them otherwise
Old 12-28-2019, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Actually seen a few run across the Hwy south of Entwistle this spring it was a complete shock. First time I have seen feral pigs and had to do a double take to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing. Outside of this I have not even seen a track

Wish I could find them otherwise
Just south east of there I was hunting and came across lots of pig tracks . Don't know what was more uneasy all the boar tracks or the wolf stalking me
Old 12-28-2019, 08:38 PM

If you plan on going to Saskatchewan and your not a resident of saskatchewan you need to go through an outfitter. I know a number of places I could hunt them in Sask but i'm an Alberta guy and that's taboo.

I Shot 3 in 1 day back in 1993 out by Nojack, there must be 10,000 there by now the way they breed.
scan0001.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
If you plan on going to Saskatchewan and your not a resident of saskatchewan you need to go through an outfitter. I know a number of places I could hunt them in Sask but i'm an Alberta guy and that's taboo.

I Shot 3 in 1 day back in 1993 out by Nojack, there must be 10,000 there by now the way they breed.
Attachment 160195
Those boars by Nojack were from the boar hunt farm there, which is now a bison ranch. Myself and friends killed a few dozen over a few year period there, but haven't seen any since.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:27 PM

Saskatchewan isn't too concerned about eradicating/controlling wild pigs. They are classified as an exotic species, must be hunted using the same regulations as other big game and only Sask residents can hunt them (not sure if outfitters can offer hunts).
Old 12-28-2019, 11:53 PM

Another ecological disaster spreading habitat destruction and disease through the ignorance of man.
At what point will we figure out that hunt/game farms with exotic and disease vector animals is a ridiculously bad idea.

There are rumors of pigs on the lose along the Alberta/Montana border now
Old 12-29-2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
You've got a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffas body than getting any hog help in Alberta .....lol
News to me!! That’s hilarious. Never thought it was that big of a secret!
Old 12-29-2019, 12:15 AM

Down by rosebud west of drumheller there has been know to be a group. East of trochu to the river and on top the east side there are some also. Just ask for permission and landowners will let you kill them. And don’t listen to all the guys that are so protective of the pig spots! Haha! They obviously don’t have a clue what they are talking about nor do they share the same bond with other hunters that many that call them self sportsman and mentors do.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You might as well ask for a person's favorite elk or sheep honey hole.
you are killing me! Haha! I spilt my drink I laughed so hard
Old 12-29-2019, 12:33 AM

Long and short. It is way cheaper to fly to the states and hunt them there. I have hunted them in Europe, the States, the eastern block and here. I really enjoy hunting them but they aren't really great eating in my books. Just as happy to donate or have the meat sold as eat it myself.

The pig hunting is WAY better in all the places that aren't Alberta. That said, there are a reasonable number in Alberta and Sask so take the advice above and have a ball. I have never had any trouble getting permission from Alberta or Sask landowners to hunt pigs on their land.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:17 AM

2 years ago I saw a lone big wild boar heading across a field 1.5 miles NE of Calmar. He couldn't have gotten far.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-29-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Saskatchewan isn't too concerned about eradicating/controlling wild pigs. They are classified as an exotic species, must be hunted using the same regulations as other big game and only Sask residents can hunt them (not sure if outfitters can offer hunts).
Wild boar are classified as varmints in saskatchewan They can be shot in any season with no restrictions
Old 12-29-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
2 years ago I saw a lone big wild boar heading across a field 1.5 miles NE of Calmar. He couldn't have gotten far.
I believe I seen that same one

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2019, 07:28 AM

Seen a small group down hwy 3 in-between deer Creek bridge and Hillmond. There is a boar farm close to there so could be some that escaped.

South of Lloydminster along hwy 17 and 482 there were a pile of tracks on a few leases there, never did see them though. Heard of people shooting them by mount joy south west of Lloyd but have never seen any throughout my travels.