Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Default .22, .17 HMR or other

Ok so I took a shot in the dark when I put up a post asking if anyone was interested in parting with one of their old small caliber riffles to help me get my girlfriend into shooting however she feels it would be more interesting to pick out a new rifle. I recently bought a 30-06 for hunting larger game but now find myself in the market for something smaller that would be good for the girlfriend at the range but that I could also use to hunt gophers, rabbit and other small game. What are your suggestions and any pros and cons would be nice.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM

If I was only going to have one rimfire, I would have a 22lr, just because the ammunition is so affordable.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Banned

Ruger 10/22. Nice, inexpensive, dependable rifle that is fun to plink with out to 100 yds, cheap on ammo and is great for small game......nice clean hole through and through. A 17 hmr is super accurate out to 200 yds and is a riot to blow up gophers with but it'll blow up grouse as well. Ammo is a bit expensive too. I'd go 22lr first and get a 17 hmr later if you want one.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Default rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Ruger 10/22. Nice, inexpensive, dependable rifle that is fun to plink with out to 100 yds, cheap on ammo and is great for small game......nice clean hole through and through. A 17 hmr is super accurate out to 200 yds and is a riot to blow up gophers with but it'll blow up grouse as well. Ammo is a bit expensive too. I'd go 22lr first and get a 17 hmr later if you want one.
x2 .17 if you are unconcerned about carnage & pieces of flying critter, .22 if you have any intention of eating the bird/animal after the shot. Both are a lot of fun to shoot, especially a 10/22 with a 25 shot clip
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
17 if you are unconcerned about carnage & pieces of flying critter, .22 if you have any intention of eating the bird/animal after the shot. Both are a lot of fun to shoot, especially a 10/22 with a 25 shot clip
If I am shooting grouse or small game that I intend to eat, with any rifle, I will be using head shots, so the meat damage isn't an issue for me.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 04-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM

Default .22lr

You can't go wrong with a nice .22 LR. I got rid of both my .17 HMR's they just did to much damage and were expensive to shoot. If I want to see gophers fly I bring out the .243 with 58gr vmax.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 PM

To be honest, originally I was leaning more towards the .17 hmr because I had heard it can shoot longer range and quite a bit more accurate but I also want the option to be able to eat the small game if I so choose. I'm definitely a lot more intrigued with the .22 now. Thank you everyone
Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 PM

.22 is way less expensive to shoot too. Besides everyones first gun is supposed to be a .22lr

Lefty
Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM

Absolutely .22. Get a bolt action though, not a semi. It'll help you learn to place your shots accurately and to make them count. Also the bolt will be alot more accurate out of the box.

The ammo is dirt cheap and will do everything you're looking for, I've taken out gophers past 100yds with a .22lr.

For entry level rifles take a look at the Savage Mark II, and some of the Marlin offerings(or grab an old cooey for a song).

If you want to spend a little more and get something that'll last you for life, take a look at the CZ's.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

I do understand the importance of breathing and taking your time to make your shot count. I used to shoot competitively with cadets when I was younger but there was no variety, we only shot .22.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
If you want to spend a little more and get something that'll last you for life, take a look at the CZ's.
CZ rifles offer great value, without all of the stamped parts found on Savages and Marlins.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

10/22 can't beat them for the fun factor etc
Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 AM

Love my savage hmr, would never go back to a .22
Old 04-02-2011, 10:54 AM

you have to have both.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM

.22 just too much fun for so little money
Old 04-02-2011, 11:46 AM

I love the .17 HMR and would love to try out the MACH 2 but my old cooey bolt will take all .22 except the mags. as much fun as a semi-auto is lets see the 10/22 shoot .22 shorts.
I suspect with all the CZ lovers on this site that it is indeed a valuable tool to add to any toolbox, but for the price and accuracy you really can't beat the old Canadian made cooey's.
Was going to leave it at that but well, there is the .243 a nice cheep to shoot centerfire that wont bruise a newb's shoulder and shouldn't induce any flinch as long as ear protection is worn. A lot of people move from the .22 up to the .243 as you can now use it to hunt larger than rabbit sized game.
Good luck on the gun hunt lots of good choices out there.
Edit
compared to 10 C/ round the .243 is very expensive. but compared to 10.00/ round for reloaded .50 bmg??????
I work hard for my money but if I can shoot for around $ 1.00 / round I am quite ok with that especially as I don't go to the movies or bars etc. shooting is my recreation
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.